Toronto vs. Montreal | November 30th, 2013 | 1900 EST

lazy26

Guest Stogey24

The boys are playing good hockey. Murray could find himself on the roster more frequently if he keeps his play up. Parros may not play much, but he knows his role and did his job tonight. Pretty tough on a guy being put in a game to fight, then be basically benched after it.

the boys have been playing better of late. Patches scoring is a huge help. Can't dion fneuf find someone other than Gally to push around. Maybe Parros should have had a little chat with him instead of Orr. Great win needed the 2 points.

Had a good laugh this am by checking out the TSN story about last night's game......

It was a sad story, highlighted by the part about Max the Terrible, wielding his sword and putting it away, and how it upset(the poor sensitive Laff's) and made the Laff's mad enough to get back in the game....

But, the most entertaining part was the usual comment section has been made un-available, I bet it would have been available like always if the victor had of been the Taranta team.....

Sure makes for a good Sunday morning doesn't it Habby fans? ;)

Sorry if my avatar is too much, I'll change it if the mods say so....

Edited by KoRP

The boys are playing good hockey. Murray could find himself on the roster more frequently if he keeps his play up. Parros may not play much, but he knows his role and did his job tonight. Pretty tough on a guy being put in a game to fight, then be basically benched after it.

There is no doubt in my mind, that if Orr had kept running Subban, this is a different contest. Thank You George.

Guest Stogey24

There is no doubt in my mind, that if Orr had kept running Subban, this is a different contest. Thank You George.

I agree. I also think something is wrong with Orr. Either a hand injury or his brain has turned to mush and he knows it. He barley fights any more and I know he didn't want to fight George that game. The injury to Parros may have shook him too, but something is different about that guy.

Gallagher is like a dog on a bone in the corner/around the net.

Pacioretty did what a lot should do on breakaways and look for rebound and start whacking, instead of doing the fly-by and backhards are like knucklepucks to goalies, just shoot it.

Was a bad penalty for Galchenyuk to take and I was OK with a 3rd period benching.

Parros should of had dumb penalty and played 3 minutes too much. Didn't watch his little wrestle match with Orr, too boring and lame watching skillless goons dance. Now if Gallagher and Kessel, or Bourque-Phaneuf, had of dropped em, that would be entertaining and more better.

Subban could simply be quite a unstoppable player in a couple years and aint doing too badly right now, he and Markov are battling for the #1 d-man slot, but who really cares which is 1A or 1B, they are one solid pairing

3 hits and 5 blocks and some boring solid d play from the big-swede.

Two thoughts: one, Gallagher has emerged as possibly THE pivotal player for us up front. This is truly remarkable for a 2nd-year player.

Two, this team is disgustingly healthy right now, and that is a huge part of the reason why we're winning. Enjoy it while it lasts, but true contenders can absorb key injuries and still succeed - I'm not sure that we can. Look at the D; before Emelin came back, no one was talking about how strong it is. Subtract any one of our top-4 and we won't be talking that way any more.

Two, this team is disgustingly healthy right now, and that is a huge part of the reason why we're winning. Enjoy it while it lasts, but true contenders can absorb key injuries and still succeed - I'm not sure that we can. Look at the D; before Emelin came back, no one was talking about how strong it is. Subtract any one of our top-4 and we won't be talking that way any more.

Most teams that have even good (not above average or great) defence corps would be in that boat though, take away a top-4 guy and they're considerably weaker. That's what happens when there realistically aren't 120 top-4 d-men (4 per team on average) throughout the league.

As for enjoying the health while it lasts, I believe I will. :)

Two thoughts: one, Gallagher has emerged as possibly THE pivotal player for us up front. This is truly remarkable for a 2nd-year player.

Agree 100% about Galleghar. And there to think there were a lot of suggestions about trading him during the summer!!

I think if Chicago lost Keith, LAK lost Doughty, or STL Peiterangelo, they would drop in the standings. We lost Markov for pretty much 3 years. That not only impacted our performance during those years, but it also stunted the development and maturity of the whole D core. While Emelin isn't the leader of our D core, he brings an element only Subban comes close to providing, which is why I'd love to replace Gorges with a more physical Dman.

Agree 100% about Galleghar. And there to think there were a lot of suggestions about trading him during the summer!!

I think if Chicago lost Keith, LAK lost Doughty, or STL Peiterangelo, they would drop in the standings. We lost Markov for pretty much 3 years. That not only impacted our performance during those years, but it also stunted the development and maturity of the whole D core. While Emelin isn't the leader of our D core, he brings an element only Subban comes close to providing, which is why I'd love to replace Gorges with a more physical Dman.

Gorges has really paled in the last two years, I think he played better without an ACL. In two years I think he's going to look like Bouillon. I don't like Stick Check Raphael Diaz, but at this point, I think he's much better than Gorges.

Gorges has really paled in the last two years, I think he played better without an ACL. In two years I think he's going to look like Bouillon. I don't like Stick Check Raphael Diaz, but at this point, I think he's much better than Gorges.

Paled? How so?

He is 4th in league in blocked shots and is a +4 playing 20+minutes/game, not too shabby nor different than ever, I would think.

The loss of Markov really was incalculable. I don't think it's out of the question, for instance, that with Markov we might have beaten the Bruins in the 2011 playoffs, or that, instead of completely melting down in 2011-12, we could have gone in the other direction. It was just so frustrating.

It's true that most teams have key players they can't afford to lose. Yet we are still too small and have too few legitimate top-6 forwards; and I'm personally skeptical that Gorges would be a #4 defenceman on an elite team. Perhaps all I'm saying is that Habs fans are striking me as a bit too heady right now (Boone just nervously declared us "contenders," for instance), and that it's probably unduly optimistic to draw conclusions when everything is going exactly right. "You're never as good as you look when you're winning, and never as good as you look when you're losing," and all that.

It's early days, but so far I'm wrong about Jonathan Bernier. When Leafs traded for him, I was thinking he'd go about 35-2 career versus Habs, with a goals against somewhere below 1. With him being from here, and all that jazz. I though he stunk last night.

I agree. I also think something is wrong with Orr. Either a hand injury or his brain has turned to mush and he knows it. He barley fights any more and I know he didn't want to fight George that game. The injury to Parros may have shook him too, but something is different about that guy.

I get the same feeling.

I honestly think he doesn't want to hurt Parros badly again. It even looked like he cradled Parros' head (lovingly, even) as they fell to the ice together.

Absolutely. I would add one more item to our recent success notwithstanding health as number one, we are not allowing that backbreaking soft goal.Goaltending is a huge part of our success this year.

I don't know about contender status, but we might be a legitimate top 10. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they're going to have a great 25 game run. Now, does Bergevin wait on Tinordi and Beaulieu, or does he pull the trigger on a big trade now? The defense and goaltending is as good as it's going to get, I have to think we get that top-6 guy. It has to be the next step. We're not quite at the point where MB can address playoff needs when this group is getting their feet wet in the post season.

25 games in, is Montreal a Top 10 NHL team?

WINS: Yes (tied for 10th)

ROW: Yes (tied for 8th)

POINT PERCENTAGE: No (13th)

GOALS PER GAME: No (14th)

GOALS AGAINST PER GAME: Yes (2nd)

5 ON 5 GOALS/AGAINST RATIO: Yes (10th)

POWERPLAY: Yes (3rd)

PENALTY KILL: Yes (5th)

FACEOFF PERCENTAGE: No (16th)

HITS: No (28th)

BLOCKS: Yes (1st)

WINNING WHEN OUTSHOOTING: Yes (7th)

WINNING WHEN OUTSHOT: No (20th)

For the majority of statistics, Montreal is a Top 10 team. We're top five in special teams, goals against average and blocks. We're bottom five in hits only. We're Top 15 in everything except faceoffs, hits and winning a game when outshot.

Now, people keep discussing the West when it comes to this stuff and I think that's the wrong way to view. You need to be a contender in your own conference before you can look at the whole league. Aside from season games you don't have to play the West until you get to the Cup. How do we do when we're only focusing on the East? Are we top five in the East?

WINS: Yes (4th)

ROW: Yes (4th)

POINT PERCENTAGE: Yes (5th)

GOALS PER GAME: No (7th)

GOALS AGAINST PER GAME: Yes (2nd)

5 ON 5 GOALS/AGAINST RATIO: Yes (3rd)

POWERPLAY: Yes (2nd)

PENALTY KILL: Yes (4th)

FACEOFF PERCENTAGE: No (6th)

HITS: No (16th)

BLOCKS: Yes (1st)

WINNING WHEN OUTSHOOTING: Yes (3rd)

WINNING WHEN OUTSHOT: No (8th)

We're definitely Top 5 in the East, we look a lot better in faceoff percentage, our GPG isn't so bad and with exception to hits, we're not outside the top eight in anything. If the team continues the way they have been playing, we should be top three in most statistics. It should also be noted we're the hottest team in the East in our last 10 while Tampa, even in points with us are struggling.

So one quarter of the way through the season we're Top 5 in our conference, Top 3 in many statistics. If we don't have any Toronto style meltdowns coming up for us and the worst is mostly over, I don't see how we shouldn't be Eastern Conference contenders and a great argument for the Eastern Conference final. I would not be surprised at all to see us finish Top 3 in the Atlantic and getting an easy opponent like New York for the first round.

• Upvote 1