Is it time to send Bournival down?

dlbalr

The last few new threads on here have all been GDT's so I want to start some sort of new discussion. We've all seen in recent games that Michael Bournival's ice time and performance have all declined. The numbers:

- Under 10 minutes in 9 of the last 11 games, lower than 7:33 in 6 of those

- No points in his last 8 games, just 2 in the last 13

- -7 rating in the last 8 games (yes, this isn't a great metric but that certainly is a negative)

- 12 SOG in the last 8 games (42 in 20 GP the rest of the year)

Plus, he is getting yo-yo'ed up and down the lineup and we're starting to see some rookie mistakes from him for the first time.

As long as he's getting 10-12 minutes a night, I have no issue with him being in the lineup, even if it's in primarily a 4th line role. If he's only getting a handful of shifts per period though, there's a case to be made that going and being a legit top six guy getting 18+ minutes in Hamilton for a bit may be a better way to go. This certainly isn't a thought of a permanent demotion, just a short-term one (think a few weeks) to try and get him back on track.

As to who could be called up to replace him? If they're looking for another Bournival-type (two-way guy with good energy), Patrick Holland should be at or near the top of the list. Louis Leblanc, who has cooled off since being sent back (though playing with Tarnasky/Macenauer may have something to do with that), would be another one as management probably needs another look at him at some point sooner than later. Or, they could wait a bit until Rene Bourque comes back and not call anyone up.

With Bourque out for at least another week, the time for this probably isn't right. If this recent trend continues (frankly, I think he's going to be scratched tomorrow in place of Parros), when Bourque gets back, I think it may be time to send Bournival down for a bit. Agree/disagree?

Hard to send a top 10 scorng rookie (if he got a regular shift)

And if only gonna give a few minutes/game, I would prefer to see Blunden/Dumont play those and let Bournival help lead Hamilton.

No sense bringing up another rookie to play a very limited role.

It makes no sense to send Bournival down. Sit Briere and his lazy ass down and alternate between Briere and Bourque playing until one of them figures out they need to put forth a consistent effort. Funny how MT hasn't called out Briere and Bouillon for goals that directly resulted from their mistakes.

I'd play Bournival with guys that can score rather than the 4th line. Keep Prust, Moen and White on the damn 4th line and play guys with skill with other guys with skill.

I think there is great merit in what hab29RETIRED says, play him in a role with some talent, and not on fourth line. Earlier in the season he was arguably a top 6 on Mtl, in terms of effectiveness and effort every night, and has shown that he can produce at the NHL level. If it were my decision, I would give him a serious look on a line with DD and Max, and reunite Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, I think Eller could use Bournival's effort as some inspiration to submit some effort of his own, and it's clear the Gally's miss each other. Rookie mistakes aside, I'd take Bournival over Briere in the lineup any day, and I don't see Blunden or Dumont as an upgrade to him.

We all tend to pick MT's decisions apart at times, maybe he does know what he is doing with Bournival, time will tell I guess...But I really think sending him down at this point would not help his development as much as giving him at chance with some offensive line mates in Mtl would.

Guest Stogey24

I think there is great merit in what hab29RETIRED says, play him in a role with some talent, and not on fourth line. Earlier in the season he was arguably a top 6 on Mtl, in terms of effectiveness and effort every night, and has shown that he can produce at the NHL level. If it were my decision, I would give him a serious look on a line with DD and Max, and reunite Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, I think Eller could use Bournival's effort as some inspiration to submit some effort of his own, and it's clear the Gally's miss each other. Rookie mistakes aside, I'd take Bournival over Briere in the lineup any day, and I don't see Blunden or Dumont as an upgrade to him.

We all tend to pick MT's decisions apart at times, maybe he does know what he is doing with Bournival, time will tell I guess...But I really think sending him down at this point would not help his development as much as giving him at chance with some offensive line mates in Mtl would.

Bournival has defensive lapses playing against top lines. Tough to throw a rookie in that type of role.

I think it's a good idea, but my concern is that the players in the minors aren't flourishing under Sylvain Lefevbre.

There should be a role for him to grow into, but who's to say he won't turn into Louis Leblanc if he gets sent down? Unfortunately, no one could see him growing into an NHL player, and his spot is taken by Briere and Bourque, who bring nothing to the table but a couple points every five games, and steady work for the medical staff.

I don't think he deserves a demotion, but unfortunately he has an extremely short leash and doesn't get a chance to play through his struggles. He was with Eller last night until he took a penalty in the first, and then got sent to the fourth line. With a fully healthy lineup it would be better for him to get lots of minutes in Hamilton than to get under ten minutes and rotate in the pressbox with White and Parros.

I guess Briere should still be better than him at this point, but on merit alone he doesn't deserve the spot over Bournival. Still a needless signing that is holding this team back.

MB already told him to get a place. Which means he isn't going anywhere. That would pretty much go against everything MB is trying to build.

He is playing all right. Better then a few other smurfs currently getting ice time.

I agree that Bournival needs more ice time, not less, but Hamilton is not the answer. Galy was benched when he took a bad penalty and came back the next game with an inspired effort. I expect B to get more ice time next game as MT follows his usual pattern.

MB already told him to get a place. Which means he isn't going anywhere. That would pretty much go against everything MB is trying to build.

He also told him that his play would dictate whether or not he stays. He didn't promise Bournival that he wouldn't go down no matter what.