Briere vs. Jagr: Did the Habs make the right choice?

Psycing

Guest Stogey24

Ask me after the playoffs....I can't believe the level of bitterness here, but I still think if he scores some big goals in the P/O's all will be forgiven.

4 mill for a guy who might perform in the play offs. Ya, that's well worth the money. I'm going to start calling him Bri-where?... because he's invisible on a nightly basis.

4 mill for a guy who might perform in the play offs. Ya, that's well worth the money. I'm going to start calling him Bri-where?... because he's invisible on a nightly basis.

We went through this with Cammalleri, only Cammalleri wasn't as weak.

There are still some Habs fans who prefer the season scorers over the playoff scorers. I think there's a place for both.

Anyway, there's already rumours that Briere is unhappy. The Samsonov comparison might not be that far off, though facts are facts: Briere brings it in the post-season. Until he doesn't, he does. I don't know if we've used him right but then again, we've spread out our scoring to the point where nobody is really working out.

Guest Stogey24

We went through this with Cammalleri, only Cammalleri wasn't as weak.

There are still some Habs fans who prefer the season scorers over the playoff scorers. I think there's a place for both.

Anyway, there's already rumours that Briere is unhappy. The Samsonov comparison might not be that far off, though facts are facts: Briere brings it in the post-season. Until he doesn't, he does. I don't know if we've used him right but then again, we've spread out our scoring to the point where nobody is really working out.

Is it possible that he could be traded? After moving his family and everything here; I'm sure he'll finish his contract out in Montreal.

He's averaging almost 13 mins a game and I can't see that changing. He is not the same player he once was. I don't how many times I've seen Briere just chip a pass off the boards in the defensive zone instead of starting a breakout. I think he's been scared off the Puck a bit from the concussions.

Cammalleri proved his worth in the playoffs in a massive way while wearing the CH. Also, contrary to popular belief he was productive in the regular season, too - except for those stretches of games when he was returning from injury, when he would chronically slump. I get that Cammy was overpaid and that he wasn't a 200-foot player, but to lump him in the same boat as this boobs-on-a-bull-useless Hero of the Quebec Nation is just ridiculous. And Briere's last playoff was two years ago, when his decline was not as obvious.

Even Ryder might well have been a better signing. Cheaper, for one thing. Look at his playoff history, he's had good and bad playoffs...just because he struggled last year doesn't mean he would do so permanently.

I hope Briere unhappy. He might waive the stupid NTC that MB saw fit to give him. He could command value from some contender with a different FW configuration at the deadline.

Until we see Briere in the playoffs again, you really can't say anything on his ability to produce. Even two years ago people were surprised he could still put numbers up out of nowhere. He just has a different mindset in the playoffs. Reminds me of Claude Lemieux. A whole different game emerges.

Briere moving his family might have been something he planned to do anyway. If he's unhappy, he'll waive. Washington always has playoff issues. Maybe once Brooks Laich is healed they'll swap, but probably not ;)

But if we trade Briere, goto the playoffs, make a goalie look like a god again while Briere is putting up a point per game pace again, it'll be one of those careful what you wish for scenarios.

Until we see Briere in the playoffs again, you really can't say anything on his ability to produce. Even two years ago people were surprised he could still put numbers up out of nowhere. He just has a different mindset in the playoffs. Reminds me of Claude Lemieux. A whole different game emerges.

Briere moving his family might have been something he planned to do anyway. If he's unhappy, he'll waive. Washington always has playoff issues. Maybe once Brooks Laich is healed they'll swap, but probably not ;)

But if we trade Briere, goto the playoffs, make a goalie look like a god again while Briere is putting up a point per game pace again, it'll be one of those careful what you wish for scenarios.

Having a guy who is great in the playoffs works ONLY if you make the playoffs. This team needs goal scoring in the worst way. If we could trade Briere and get some goal scoring then lets do it. It seems that he does not fit the team or that MT does not know how to use him, but either way signing ANOTHER 5' fork all forward is not and was not what this team needed. Not for 4 million bucks anyways.

A few snake bitten games??? Seriously??? There has been absolutely next to no effort outside of the first 10 or 15 minutes against LA. We best the islanders, because they are the friggin Islanders!! We lost to a friggin depleted panthers lineup and had bounces and calls go our way for a couple of wins during our win streak!

Only reason we are safe FOR NOW is the east is so weak.

Oh, haha, right. We're in trouble of missing the playoffs now because of a few snakebitten games.

"You're never as good as you look when you're winning, and never as bad as you look when you're losing."

A little while ago the boards were full of optimism and even talk that we might contenders.

Now the boards are full of gloom.

This team has structural flaws that make it clearly something less than a true contender. It's sensible to criticize it for that, but we do need to look beyond a losing streak.

"You're never as good as you look when you're winning, and never as bad as you look when you're losing."

A little while ago the boards were full of optimism and even talk that we might contenders.

Now the boards are full of gloom.

This team has structural flaws that make it clearly something less than a true contender. It's sensible to criticize it for that, but we do need to look beyond a losing streak.

I agree with CC here. I would say that the new non roster additions this year other than Murray have been underwhelming to say the least. I believe we are still building. We need to fix some of the structural flaws. In our assessment, we should take note that we have played many teams that have been decimated by injuries, while we have remained relatively healthy.

As I read somewhere else, last year we were a high scoring team in spite of a second half goaltending meltdown (where we still finished first in the division) while this year, close to the halfway point, we're a low scoring team still sitting comfortably in a playoff spot due to strong goaltending. In other words, we've proven to have the capacity for both but can't seem to show it at the same time. I doubt our .5 drop in scoring per game is simply due to missing Ryder. Last season at the 48 game mark we had 10 players with eight goals or more. At the 35 game mark we're looking at only five.

It ain't like we're the Oilers waiting for three straight years for the team to magically get good.

I agree with CC here. I would say that the new non roster additions this year other than Murray have been underwhelming to say the least. I believe we are still building. We need to fix some of the structural flaws. In our assessment, we should take note that we have played many teams that have been decimated by injuries, while we have remained relatively healthy.

Parros was a low risk and pretty irrelevent addition, we are better without him or any goon.

And Briere has 10 pts in 25 games, with a concussion tossed in and only playing 3rd/4th line minutes, so no big negative and 50 games still to play.

Is boring to keep saying team is fine as is and doing quite well overall, but if want the real "Chicken Little" take, simply go to that Berkshire led blog and he will tell how bad this team really is. :)

Just to be clear I never said we were in danger of missing the playoffs at this point but if we can't score goals then we definitely will be. Also even when we were winning I said we need a goal scorer to make this team a contender, I don't believe we are as far away from being a serious contender as some people. I really believe if we add some real scoring ability then we are a dangerous opponent to play. As was said we were a high scoring team? with poor goaltending now we are a low scoring team with great goaltending. I say we have the defence and goaltending now we need the offence and we can beat anybody.

If we can upgrade Gorges and replace either Bourque or Briere with someone who can score more consistently and drive to the net hard I believe are a top 10 contender.

If we can dump DD as well I'd say we'd be in the top 7 or 8 and easily top 3 in the east.

I'd put the kid line back together and keep the 4th line of white, Prust and Moen on the damn 4th line would give us one of the best 4th line's in the league. When MT moves Prust or Moen into the top 3 or plays Parros over white, he not only weakens the 4th line he also thins down the scoring lines.

Lastly, I wouldn't scratch the 4th liners. White has been awesome this year. If you are going to bench someone bench the lazy asses of Briere, Bourque or DD they don't show up.

Next year upgrading on Gionta will only make us stronger.

Just to be clear I never said we were in danger of missing the playoffs at this point but if we can't score goals then we definitely will be. Also even when we were winning I said we need a goal scorer to make this team a contender, I don't believe we are as far away from being a serious contender as some people. I really believe if we add some real scoring ability then we are a dangerous opponent to play. As was said we were a high scoring team? with poor goaltending now we are a low scoring team with great goaltending. I say we have the defence and goaltending now we need the offence and we can beat anybody.

Did you notice the rumour on EOTP that Briere asked for a trade? Pretty dubious source, so I'm not clicking my heels together just yet, but...it's nice to dream.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/12/14/5209920/Habs-Trade-Rumours-Briere-

The one thing that worries me about jagr is his speed. This is a fast team. Jagr is so slow that he may not have fit in.

I understand the importance of the speed game, but Briere is considered faster than Jagr and he isn't exactly fitting in himself.

I'd argue that the team would be able to find a way around it. Have another player (e.g. Plekanec) gain the zone and hold possession until old Jagr catches up. Jagr an use his size and strength to ward off defenders once he has the puck in the offensive zone, which would lead to scoring chances as his linemates get into position.

Of course, it wouldn't always play out that well. There would be games when his lack of speed burns the Habs. When he can't clear the defensive zone fast enough, or catch up to break up an odd-man break going the wrong way.

At the end of the day, I feel that Jagr would have been more useful to the Habs top 9 than Briere regardless of speed. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but I was disappointed in the offseason when the Habs decided against signing Jagr and committed to Briere.

I think that Jagr size alone would have helped the team more than Danny B. Lets face it DB was signed because he is French and was a star. Its like the trade for Denis Savard...was at the end of his career and not able to help out a lot offensively. It's good to see that DB only got about 5 minutes of ice time maybe that will help to wake him up.

The rumour is that the Hero of the Quebec Nation is unhappy because he's not being used at C. Think about it...this guy has been beaten out of the C position by David Desharnais :rolleyes:

I suspect that what's going on is Therrien wants him on the wing, Briere is sulking, and Therrien is not giving ground.

Hell of a UFA signing there, Bergie.

As for Jagr "fitting into our system" - feh. This reminds me vaguely of Craig Ludwig's joke that neither Gretzky nor Lemieux would "fit into our system." Jagr has 11 goals and 28 points in 34 games: twice as many goals and 3X as many points as the Hero of the Quebec Nation. Think about it; some people are actually suggesting that we were wiser NOT to sign a guy who is producing at nearly a PPG pace, versus Briere.

Jagr can still play. He's an all-time great. He'd adjust. There simply is no way to put lipstick on this pig. Bergevin screwed up hugely on this file, period.

The rumour is that the Hero of the Quebec Nation is unhappy because he's not being used at C. Think about it...this guy has been beaten out of the C position by David Desharnais :rolleyes:

I suspect that what's going on is Therrien wants him on the wing, Briere is sulking, and Therrien is not giving ground.

Hell of a UFA signing there, Bergie.

As for Jagr "fitting into our system" - feh. This reminds me vaguely of Craig Ludwig's joke that neither Gretzky nor Lemieux would "fit into our system." Jagr has 11 goals and 28 points in 34 games: twice as many goals and 3X as many points as the Hero of the Quebec Nation. Think about it; some people are actually suggesting that we were wiser NOT to sign a guy who is producing at nearly a PPG pace, versus Briere.

Jagr can still play. He's an all-time great. He'd adjust. There simply is no way to put lipstick on this pig. Bergevin screwed up hugely on this file, period.

Thanks CC ,you have made my day. I have always found that if you call out one of their little pretties, regardless of who or how much suckage, somebody will take offense.

Jagr last few years in NHL

Gone from; Rangers-Philly-Dallas-Bruins-Devils, take a guess why, is not because he is a "team" player and just wants to help a team win. Is more a track record of a mercenary looking for whomever will pay the most.

Bergevin/Dudley/Mellanby/Lapoint/Lacarriere are not a group of idiots and know a bit more about players than even the most knowledgeable commenters here, I would assume.

Am sure they weighed the options, team is 21-12 and Briere is not being shown any special treatment, so I got few complaints and still not a fan of Jagr (nor Briere).

• Upvote 1

Jagr is prettymuchsolid being signed to one yeR deals because of the CBA. If the team is only going to commit to one year, why does he need to stuck around for more???

Jagr last few years in NHL

Gone from; Rangers-Philly-Dallas-Bruins-Devils, take a guess why, is not because he is a "team" player and just wants to help a team win. Is more a track record of a mercenary looking for whomever will pay the most.

Bergevin/Dudley/Mellanby/Lapoint/Lacarriere are not a group of idiots and know a bit more about players than even the most knowledgeable commenters here, I would assume.

Am sure they weighed the options, team is 21-12 and Briere is not being shown any special treatment, so I got few complaints and still not a fan of Jagr (nor Briere).