Briere vs. Jagr: Did the Habs make the right choice?

Psycing

The rumour is that the Hero of the Quebec Nation is unhappy because he's not being used at C. Think about it...this guy has been beaten out of the C position by David Desharnais :rolleyes:

I suspect that what's going on is Therrien wants him on the wing, Briere is sulking, and Therrien is not giving ground.

Hell of a UFA signing there, Bergie.

As for Jagr "fitting into our system" - feh. This reminds me vaguely of Craig Ludwig's joke that neither Gretzky nor Lemieux would "fit into our system." Jagr has 11 goals and 28 points in 34 games: twice as many goals and 3X as many points as the Hero of the Quebec Nation. Think about it; some people are actually suggesting that we were wiser NOT to sign a guy who is producing at nearly a PPG pace, versus Briere.

Jagr can still play. He's an all-time great. He'd adjust. There simply is no way to put lipstick on this pig. Bergevin screwed up hugely on this file, period.

A) It's nice to have the #1 goal scorer on the team in your corner (and quite vocally in your corner). It gives management pause on whether it's worth breaking up that duo.

B) If Briere was in Desharnais' spot, and Desharnais in Briere's spot, Briere would produce more than Desharnais has been and Desharnais would produce less than Briere has been.

Did you notice the rumour on EOTP that Briere asked for a trade? Pretty dubious source, so I'm not clicking my heels together just yet, but...it's nice to dream.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/12/14/5209920/Habs-Trade-Rumours-Briere-

The 'rumour' came from various Twitter 'sources,' several of which have been critical of Briere. It seems to me that it's wishful thinking that they're passing off as a report to try and add some followers. Francois Gagnon debunked the report recently.

The 'rumour' came from various Twitter 'sources,' several of which have been critical of Briere. It seems to me that it's wishful thinking that they're passing off as a report to try and add some followers. Francois Gagnon debunked the report recently.

No surprise there. Pretty sure Briere will get the whole year before deciding if he wants to leave, similar to Cole.

No surprise there. Pretty sure Briere will get the whole year before deciding if he wants to leave, similar to Cole.

I know most are very soured on Briere, but he does show veteran "poise" with the puck and playoffs situations will be no "big deal" to him, be it Boston/Toronto or any playoff opponent, which is of value for sure.

Guest Stogey24

I know most are very soured on Briere, but he does show veteran "poise" with the puck and playoffs situations will be no "big deal" to him, be it Boston/Toronto or any playoff opponent, which is of value for sure.

Veteran poise? If Briers has what ever that is then the Habs don't need it. Playoff situations will be no big deal for Bri-where? because he'll be getting 10min of ice time against teams like Toronto and Boston because they'll push him around. We wouldn't want him to wreck his FRENCH manicure either.

Veteran poise? If Briers has what ever that is then the Habs don't need it. Playoff situations will be no big deal for Bri-where? because he'll be getting 10min of ice time against teams like Toronto and Boston because they'll push him around. We wouldn't want him to wreck his FRENCH manicure either.

Being pushed around has never stopped Briere before but it'll stop him now because... reasons.

A) It's nice to have the #1 goal scorer on the team in your corner (and quite vocally in your corner). It gives management pause on whether it's worth breaking up that duo.

B) If Briere was in Desharnais' spot, and Desharnais in Briere's spot, Briere would produce more than Desharnais has been and Desharnais would produce less than Briere has been.

Completely agree with this.

Guest Stogey24

Being pushed around has never stopped Briere before but it'll stop him now because... reasons.

I honestly wish Briere would do well. It would be awesome to see him find his stride one last time. It's just highly unlikely. He was an excellent scorer when he had his speed and confidence.

Heads up that I will be filing another "Around the Boards" article on this topic later this week. So if you have any final thoughts on whether the Habs made the right choice between Briere and Jagr - unleash them!

&&& Happy Holidays everyone!

The HabsWorld community has spoken! We prefer Jagr over Briere - hands down.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3284

No shit?

Again, has anyone provided any concrete proof that Jagr actually WANTED to sign in Montreal? It takes two to sign a contract. We're acting like Jagr was definitely going to sign here, no question, as long as he was offered a contract.

Will the next article be about if we'd have preferred UFAs like Alfredsson over Briere? Nathan Horton? David Clarkson? Doesn't matter that the Habs weren't even on their radar... if we'd just offered them the same contract and they'd definitely have signed. Will the next set of articles be about trades we wish Bergevin made, but not ones that were actually offered and rejected?

I've got it... The next article should be why Bergevin has failed because he hasn't managed to trade for Sidney Crosby. Never mind facts like Crosby isn't available... or we don't have the assets to offer Pittsburgh a worthwhile deal... or that Crosby has a full NMC... yeah, ignore all that. It would be a great article! Sidney Crosby should be on the Habs, amirite?!?

No shit?

Again, has anyone provided any concrete proof that Jagr actually WANTED to sign in Montreal? It takes two to sign a contract. We're acting like Jagr was definitely going to sign here, no question, as long as he was offered a contract.

Will the next article be about if we'd have preferred UFAs like Alfredsson over Briere? Nathan Horton? David Clarkson? Doesn't matter that the Habs weren't even on their radar... if we'd just offered them the same contract and they'd definitely have signed. Will the next set of articles be about trades we wish Bergevin made, but not ones that were actually offered and rejected?

I've got it... The next article should be why Bergevin has failed because he hasn't managed to trade for Sidney Crosby. Never mind facts like Crosby isn't available... or we don't have the assets to offer Pittsburgh a worthwhile deal... or that Crosby has a full NMC... yeah, ignore all that. It would be a great article! Sidney Crosby should be on the Habs, amirite?!?

haha Trizz is mad.

We don't know the details of the deal(s) or talks between Jagr and the Habs, but back when we played NJ this season, Jagr told the Qc medias that we were "not ready to dance" the 3 times he was available. Don't know how much he was asking vs what we offered those 3 times though.

If team wasn't doing well and he was playing 18minutes/game, I would be right there with most of anti-Briere mob.

But he is just playing a bit part with limited minutes and team is doing OK.

Late maybe to reply, yup, but just catching up on some threads.......

I think maybe that if the Habs centered the Gally's with Briere all year, I bet he out produces DD by season's end, he needs to be used in a position to succeed, like a lot of players, most players, and he hasn't been really. I would like to see him get a fair shake, and do well because he seems like a smart guy, that wants to produce, and wants to find a way in Mtl. He hasn't been a distraction or said or did anything out of line, a real pro. Maybe we should just give him some time to succeed, the contract is signed, it's still a long season to go, and whining about him isn't helping either ;) Jagr, on the other hand is getting top line minutes in Jersey, and making the most of it. Like most team efforts, it's management that is ultimately responsible, and sometimes we all question MT's motivation and logic to his usage or lack of on the players we have. Our record as I write this is 22-13-3 with a great defensive record, so we have to consider that too. Where are the Devils in the standings? Below us....

I look at it like this, Briere, if nothing else, is veteran depth for a long season, and I recall Bergevin saying something about his line of thinking being "some players get you to the playoffs, and then some players get you through the playoffs", so Ima wait and see.... Go Briere!

I appreciate how good Jagr has been all his career, I'm not blind, but am I a big fan of him? Nope. I remember plenty of times in his career that being interviewed, he certainly didn't ooze the ultimate team player profile his whole career,....

The problem with that logic is that I think Eller would out produce Briere if he also got to centre the Gally's all season. Eller was moved off that line and has had a revolving string of wingers, but he is still a positive contributor. briere has been garbage and has been close to gomez bad.

Late maybe to reply, yup, but just catching up on some threads.......

I think maybe that if the Habs centered the Gally's with Briere all year, I bet he out produces DD by season's end, he needs to be used in a position to succeed, like a lot of players, most players, and he hasn't been really. I would like to see him get a fair shake, and do well because he seems like a smart guy, that wants to produce, and wants to find a way in Mtl. He hasn't been a distraction or said or did anything out of line, a real pro. Maybe we should just give him some time to succeed, the contract is signed, it's still a long season to go, and whining about him isn't helping either ;) Jagr, on the other hand is getting top line minutes in Jersey, and making the most of it. Like most team efforts, it's management that is ultimately responsible, and sometimes we all question MT's motivation and logic to his usage or lack of on the players we have. Our record as I write this is 22-13-3 with a great defensive record, so we have to consider that too. Where are the Devils in the standings? Below us....

I look at it like this, Briere, if nothing else, is veteran depth for a long season, and I recall Bergevin saying something about his line of thinking being "some players get you to the playoffs, and then some players get you through the playoffs", so Ima wait and see.... Go Briere!

I appreciate how good Jagr has been all his career, I'm not blind, but am I a big fan of him? Nope. I remember plenty of times in his career that being interviewed, he certainly didn't ooze the ultimate team player profile his whole career,....

To sign Brière was obviously a mistake. I had a bad feeling right from the start. Too many injuries, too small, too old, there were too many minus, not enough plus IMO. To tell you the truth, I would not have signed Jagr either, but for one year for 2 million and bonuses, it made more sense. At least, he has got the size and has stayed healthy most of his career.

When you look at it, among the free agents signed last summer, only Murray has been valuable to the team so far. Bergevin can't be satisfied of that.

Guest Stogey24

The problem with that logic is that I think Eller would out produce Briere if he also got to centre the Gally's all season. Eller was moved off that line and has had a revolving string of wingers, but he is still a positive contributor. briere has been garbage and has been close to gomez bad.

I really think Montreal should go with a true first line for a bit. Give the EGG line some serious ice time and see what they can do. I would then throw Pac-Plek-DD on a Line. Then at least you have a quality second line if teams are shutting down EGG. You leave Bourque-Briere-Gionta as your third line and give them very sheltered minutes. It's time to forget about Briere; he's dragging the team down with the coaching staff trying to spark him. The fourth line stays the same with Moen-White-Prust, but I would have each of these guys rotating in for a shift with one of the top two line like Moen has been doing when need be. I really feel like Therrien is using his Talent in the wrong places. Look at the slump Gallagher has gone through. I'm willing to bet you put him back on the Ellery Galchenyuk line and you see sparks fly. I always had team mates that made me skate faster and play better. These kids have true chemistry that needs to be rekindled. Eller is getting the shit end of the stick being tossed around with ass dragging Briere.

(Sorry, I probably should have posted this in line combos).