Pacioretty or Gorges: Which fan-favorite would you trade for an upgrade?

Psycing

We touched on this subject during the forthcoming HabsWorld Podcast: Episode 24, but I thought I'd narrow it down to two fan-favorites: Pacioretty and Gorges.

If Marc Bergevin were to pull the trigger on a deal that would send either Pacioretty or Gorges out in return for an upgrade, which would you prefer?

Pacioretty's name has popped up in trade rumors already this season while Gorges is believed to be a candidate to replace Gionta as the club's Captain as early as next season. While it seems unlikely either would be dealt - particularly in part due to their cap-friendly contracts - but if the Habs are looking to add a significant piece, they'll have to give up value in the process.

So who would you move? Pacioretty? Gorges? Both? Neither? It's perfectly fine if you think it would be crazy to move either - just tell us why!

I've been saying since last year that we should try and move Gorges. I'd like to keep maxpac as part of the core. That being said, who I'd move would depend on the return. I'd move Gorges in a package for Kane or Reilly but not Maxpac.

We touched on this subject during the forthcoming HabsWorld Podcast: Episode 24, but I thought I'd narrow it down to two fan-favorites: Pacioretty and Gorges.

If Marc Bergevin were to pull the trigger on a deal that would send either Pacioretty or Gorges out in return for an upgrade, which would you prefer?

Pacioretty's name has popped up in trade rumors already this season while Gorges is believed to be a candidate to replace Gionta as the club's Captain as early as next season. While it seems unlikely either would be dealt - particularly in part due to their cap-friendly contracts - but if the Habs are looking to add a significant piece, they'll have to give up value in the process.

So who would you move? Pacioretty? Gorges? Both? Neither? It's perfectly fine if you think it would be crazy to move either - just tell us why!

It would take a pretty great return to move Pacioretty, plus he's the type of player we need here anyway, as a big bodied scorer. And 4.5 mill for him is great.

Gorges though, I like him a lot but since 2011-2012 something about his game hasn't done it for me. I think a more physical defensive defenseman would be nice.

It would be hard to upgrade on gorges if we were trying to get a physical defensive defenseman though, why would anyone trade for a less physical defenseman with similar defensive ability?

I think it would have to be a bigger change, gorges to one team for an offensive defenseman, Diaz to another team for a physical defensive defenseman. I'd still like Brendan Dillon from Dallas. Diaz + a 3rd? Probably not enough.

Gorges has done a great job looking after Gallagher, though Gorges would be a good trading chip, what message are you sending to your players when you are trading your future captain.

DIaz, Bourque, Briere, Gionta are expendable pieces that should be used in getting a better skilled and bigger player, imo.

We need to have a look at some of the D-men from Hamilton to see if one of them can be included in a trade.

Max is on my untouchable list considering his cap hit, size, and intensity. When he is on, he is a game changer.

Umm, if he is traded he obviously isn't the future captain. Don't see. Problem with that message. I don't want him as the captain. If like one our tip guys to be the captain.

Gorges has done a great job looking after Gallagher, though Gorges would be a good trading chip, what message are you sending to your players when you are trading your future captain.

DIaz, Bourque, Briere, Gionta are expendable pieces that should be used in getting a better skilled and bigger player, imo.

We need to have a look at some of the D-men from Hamilton to see if one of them can be included in a trade.

Max is on my untouchable list considering his cap hit, size, and intensity. When he is on, he is a game changer.

hab29RETIRED

Gorges is a family guy and that is the type of player that would be best suited as a captain. I would have difficulty having a single player like Gallagher being a captain. Youth is fine but captains have more roles to fulfill.

Gorges has always played with more heart than skill, he stays calm even in adverse situations, has no ego and he seems to be very well liked in the dressing room.

These qualities motivate other players in the dressing room, players would follow a leader like him that plays every game every shift. (just like Gionta BTW)

Until Subban, Gally squared, Eller,maxpac, or someone else show they are captain worthy, my captain is Markov and Gorges would be traded and eventually replaced with someone who is more of a net clearer.

I like Gorges, but he is a bottom pairing dman that is being put into a first pairing role and. Ring paid like a 2nd pairing dman.

hab29RETIRED

Gorges is a family guy and that is the type of player that would be best suited as a captain. I would have difficulty having a single player like Gallagher being a captain. Youth is fine but captains have more roles to fulfill.

Gorges has always played with more heart than skill, he stays calm even in adverse situations, has no ego and he seems to be very well liked in the dressing room.

These qualities motivate other players in the dressing room, players would follow a leader like him that plays every game every shift. (just like Gionta BTW)

I consider guys like Gorges to be undervalued by fans and overvalued by organizations. When a team gets their hands on a smart, reliable defensive defenceman, it makes organizations that struggle with defensive consistency breathe a sigh of relief. But for fans, a guy like Gorges doesn't dazzle. When he makes a mistake on his reputation it makes him even more susceptible for fan revolt.

I think you lose Gorges, you're going to get a similar effect to when we lost Emelin unless he's replaced by someone who can be as reliable as him. Gorges was top three for shorthanded minutes in 11-12 and 12-13 and is top 10 this season. Those minutes would have to be replaced, and be replaced by someone we can truly rely on.

I wouldn't be against moving him out, but the return can't merely be an upgrade on scoring or making room for a bigger defenceman. I need to know his role will be filled. Otherwise we're gonna get tougher and clear creases but suddenly we're getting killed on the penalty kill so it doesn't matter.

Georges can't fight, can't shoot, scares nobody, whereas maxpac is able to score and check, has speed and size and plays well against the bruins. Ship out georges and sub in tinordi asap. make markov captain, maxpac assistant.

hab29RETIRED

Agree.

Guest Stogey24

hab29RETIRED

Once the cap goes up Montreal will bring in another top 4 D-man and Gorges' mintutes will drop or he will be traded. With that being said a captain needs to be on the ice more than a 5 spot d-man and Gorges to me doesn't have the skill set to lead this team.

Once the cap goes up Montreal will bring in another top 4 D-man and Gorges' mintutes will drop or he will be traded. With that being said a captain needs to be on the ice more than a 5 spot d-man and Gorges to me doesn't have the skill set to lead this team.

I would have to disagree with the HABS signing a top 4 d-man. They are loaded in Hamilton.

If I'm not mistaken, the cupboard is full in the AHL: Pateryn, Beauleu, Tinordi, Nystrom...We haven't seen Drewiske play yet either due to injury.

These young d-men will be ready next year to move Murray and Bouillon. The Habs need to sign bigger forwards by getting rid of Briere, Gionta, DD, and Bourque (for his lack of intensity) and Diaz. That's a lot of potential trading chips to get better, imo.

Georges can't fight, can't shoot, scares nobody, whereas maxpac is able to score and check, has speed and size and plays well against the bruins. Ship out georges and sub in tinordi asap. make markov captain, maxpac assistant.

Gorges brings other intangibles such as leadership, shot blocking and defense. Look at how Gallagher has done well being chaperoned by him, that says it all. We need family oriented players on our team, I love what Gionta has brought with the off-ice work his family has done for the Montreal community but how many bicep reconstructions can he have before other parts wear down. I think the Thomas speedster kid could replace him in the lineup, they even share the same small size.

Markov, though I love what he brings to the team offensively, he reminds me of the former Kaberle with the Leafs, (not the one we got fleeced trading for and only a shadow of what he was beforehand). I cannot imagine Markov getting better but slowing down with the season's grind.

Unless Bergevin thinks we can go far this year, I'd try to trade him as well if the right opportunity presented itself.

Max I agree is a keeper. He's our sharpshooter for the time being and is cap friendly signed long term.

Guest Stogey24

I would have to disagree with the HABS signing a top 4 d-man. They are loaded in Hamilton.

If I'm not mistaken, the cupboard is full in the AHL: Pateryn, Beauleu, Tinordi, Nystrom...We haven't seen Drewiske play yet either due to injury.

These young d-men will be ready next year to move Murray and Bouillon. The Habs need to sign bigger forwards by getting rid of Briere, Gionta, DD, and Bourque (for his lack of intensity) and Diaz. That's a lot of potential trading chips to get better, imo.

I do see what your saying for sure. I just think Gorges will go in a trade and Beaulieu will get packaged in another. I think Murray resigns as a shut down D-man. He has confidence with the puck again and he's an absolute tank. Price is always giving him a pat on the ass for clearing the crease and blocking shots. We'll see though. I could be completely off.

Like MoLG, I don't see the rush to trade Georges. He might not be overly physical or offensively gifted, but I am the only one who noticed him breaking up a 3-1 and eliminating a great--potentially game tying-- chance for PHX in the last game. He is also signed to a reasonable deal.

Regrettably, I see far too much negative commentary on the board based on likes and dislikes of a players style and not very much thought given to the players contributions. For example, not too long ago most people were criticising Murray and questioning MB's sanity in signing him. Now that he has played himself into game shape Murray is playing well...he is still slow, but his positioning and anticipation are better and he still loves to hit.

To answer the question: NEITHER. I would not be upset to see Bourque traded but other than that we need to trade non-roster players middling picks for an upgrade at forward nearer to the trade deadline

I do see what your saying for sure. I just think Gorges will go in a trade and Beaulieu will get packaged in another. I think Murray resigns as a shut down D-man. He has confidence with the puck again and he's an absolute tank. Price is always giving him a pat on the ass for clearing the crease and blocking shots. We'll see though. I could be completely off.

Beauleu is a keeper in my books, size and offense. He's another Subban waiting to happen. He could replace Diaz right now and the Habs would be a lot better for it long term.

I like what Murray brings, size and clearing the net, but he could trip anytime skating backwards. He gives me anxiety every time he's on the ice. I wouldn't want to keep him more than this year. if we could trade him for Gryba from Ottawa, I'd be happy, at least Grba can skate,lol.

Nystrom's the forward prospect, Nygren the defensive one. Both have already left the Bulldogs and returned overseas. The other three are still down there with Dietz and Ellis being the other AHL'ers signed.

Guest Stogey24

I knew I had the wrong Swede on the list, Nygren and not Nystrom, "niceone", lol.

Nygren has a chance of coming back when his season is finished in Europe.

Ya, I knew what you were getting at. I have my doubts with Nygren after the shite he was saying about living in the ghetto of Hamilton and not having enough money to do anything.

Ya, I knew what you were getting at. I have my doubts with Nygren after the shite he was saying about living in the ghetto of Hamilton and not having enough money to do anything.

He's a fancy boy. I'd like to take him for a ride up the road from my house to Riviera Beach, Florida. He would change his opinion of "ghetto."

Right now, I wouldn't trade either of them, in my opinion Pacioretty should not be traded, unless the return is mind blowing, Bergevin maybe a flamboyant dresser, but he ain't crazy. This team needs more players with size and speed, and there isn't a better upgrade out there to him in a variety of ways. His contract is great, his personality is even better, he loves Montreal, his skill with the puck, his heavy shot, his speed and his ability to put the puck in the net makes it just plain crazy to trade him, without the huge return that helps us now, or in a year from now. If anything, we need to get him a line mate or two to enhance him and take him higher....and someone to make his effort consistent, then he would be what we need him to be.

I don't have a single problem with Gorges either, and as the cap goes up, he will be a deal as a #5 or #6.

I think the return or the details of the deal may in fact make anyone tradable, outside of a handful of players in the NHL. I agree that we have some depth in Hamilton, but it's just depth until they are roster players. In any event, management seems to think for at least the time being, Tinordi, Pateryn, and Beaulieu all need this season in the AHL, but that's not to say they won't get a chance later this season as playoff time approaches, or if injuries occur. Maybe one or two of them will light us on fire, but until that day comes, and assuming we are in a playoff position near the trade deadline, there's no way I would trade Gorges, unless of course he was in a package of non roster players/prospects/picks to get that power forward that we so desperately need.....

Edited by KoRP

SCOTIA, I agree, both are cap friendly signed players that are positive role models and motivated players as well.

Max is a loyal player, something that I find lacking in today's professional sports, he's always had Desharnais' back from day one. He's the one that has been telling everyone to lay off Desharnais this year when their line wasn't performing.

I also liked when he told mgmt to stop jerking him around between Hamilton and Montreal, he told them to choose either NHL or AHL and stop making him feel like a yoyo. He certainly hasn't disappointed Chara hit and all.

Gorges could have let someone else look after Gallagher but he chose to do it anyways, that type of character is priceless but costly, he said that Gally eats way more than he bargained for,lol.