Pacioretty or Gorges: Which fan-favorite would you trade for an upgrade?

Psycing

If I had to trade one, it'd be Gorges. This team has a deep structural need for big forwards who can drive the net and score. Patches delivers that, at least when he's awake. Gorges brings good skills to the table as well, but ultimately it's easier to replace a quality #5 defender than it is a top-line scorer. Gorges is also on the overpaid side, while Patches took a hometown discount.

Of course the whole exercise is abstract since we don't know what the return is. But Gorges is more disposable, no question.

• 5 weeks later...

Gorges. As a matter of fact, I would have traded him last summer. I am not sure if he is tradable anymore. Too well played for what he can bring IMO. a valuable player in the dressing room, but very limited on the ice.

Pacioretty, at his salary, is a lot more valuable. I see him as the future captain of the team. He has talent and leadership. The Habs must keep him.

• 2 weeks later...

might be a month or so too late...but if this doesn't put an exclaimation point on matters I don't know what will. Pacioretty: Sochi 2014 USA olympian
Gorges: some piece we got for moving CRAIG RIVET. with that being said...i believe the answer is obvious. Gorges....ps: he's not a fan favorite of mine whatsoever...no slapshot...just good for +/-...heck; Mark Fraser from TOR led the league last season in that so he's virtually a dime a dozen player. Can't forget to mention his value is diminishing every game he continues to play in a CH sweater for the 2013/2014 campaign.

I can't even believe this question was asked. Gorges is a guy we NEED to move, MaxPac is a guy it doesn't make sense to move, since he has one of the best contracts in the NHL for his production. Any trade for Gorges would be a win, from cap space alone, any upgrade for Maxpac, would probably be a lateral move from a production standpoint and a bad move from a cap management perspective.

might be a month or so too late...but if this doesn't put an exclaimation point on matters I don't know what will. Pacioretty: Sochi 2014 USA olympian

Gorges: some piece we got for moving CRAIG RIVET. with that being said...i believe the answer is obvious. Gorges....ps: he's not a fan favorite of mine whatsoever...no slapshot...just good for +/-...heck; Mark Fraser from TOR led the league last season in that so he's virtually a dime a dozen player. Can't forget to mention his value is diminishing every game he continues to play in a CH sweater for the 2013/2014 campaign.

Gorges and Pacioretty were both pieces of same trade for Rivet.

Gorges will be the next captain.

I am a fan of #26 and you know exactly what he will bring every game, he is a super #5 d-man who is great on the PK, playing a top 4 role and doing fine.

Highly doubt either is going anywhere.

It's crazy to think that Pacioretty makes 0.6 million more than Gorges. I guess those two deals cancel each other out.

Gorges would have value around the league as a reliable depth guy. I've always been a fan of his (although not on this contract), but I don't like the idea of him being our next captain. Between the talent deficiency and the useless shouted platitudes, I think he's better suited as 'one of the guys' rather than 'the man'.

It's crazy to think that Pacioretty makes 0.6 million more than Gorges. I guess those two deals cancel each other out.

Gorges would have value around the league as a reliable depth guy. I've always been a fan of his (although not on this contract), but I don't like the idea of him being our next captain. Between the talent deficiency and the useless shouted platitudes, I think he's better suited as 'one of the guys' rather than 'the man'.

MB ain't crazy enough to trade patches. Him staying. Gorges on the othe hand.............

It would take a pretty great return to move Pacioretty, plus he's the type of player we need here anyway, as a big bodied scorer. And 4.5 mill for him is great.

Gorges though, I like him a lot but since 2011-2012 something about his game hasn't done it for me. I think a more physical defensive defenseman would be nice.

It would be hard to upgrade on gorges if we were trying to get a physical defensive defenseman though, why would anyone trade for a less physical defenseman with similar defensive ability?

I think it would have to be a bigger change, gorges to one team for an offensive defenseman, Diaz to another team for a physical defensive defenseman. I'd still like Brendan Dillon from Dallas. Diaz + a 3rd? Probably not enough.

For Dillon I would hapilly give Diaz a 2nd a 3rd as well as a prospect or DD whichever they prefer.

Also, if I was going to trade one of either Patches or Georges its got to be Georges. Patches contract is simply to good not to keep and players like him are infinitely harder to acquire than players like Georges

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Right now we have no idea how Bergevin is or not when it comes to trading. His only major trade was Erik Cole. That's all we have to go on.

Yeah, that's a little scary isn't it

It's neither scary or not scary. Like I always say, judging MB is way premature. This deadline and this summer will tell the tale. And if the current slump continues, then how he deals with it will also be important.

Until then, sang-froid in contemplating our GM is the right approach.