2014 World Junior Championships Thread

dlbalr

Only 1 point today for Reway, he's in a slump now. :P He had a helper on the Slovaks' lone goal. He also had a kneeing penalty.

Collberg had an assist for Sweden in their win today while De la Rose had the GWG. They finish 1st in their pool and will take on Slovakia in the quarters.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucale had a terrific game for Canada short of a weak 2nd goal. He made a key save on a breakaway right before that though so he gets a pass. He earned Player of the Game honours; suffice it to say, he'll be in net Thursday.

Hudon was okay. He drew a penalty in the 3rd and for some reason got benched after that. He's back to 13th forward status it appears unless it was his injury from yesterday flaring up.

FU-CAL-E! FU-CAL-E! FU-CAL-E! FU-CAL-E! FU-CAL-E!

I'm not surprised he let in that 2nd shot with all those people shouting his name. I'm sure he'll remember that game for a long time!

The chant when they announced mvp of the game was sure something!

Yea, I think Hudon was hurt. Injuries are always worse the next day when the body cools down. Fucale was really good, I was impressed. I never saw him play before.

Hudon missed practice today tending to what the team is calling a shoulder injury from the Slovakia game.

That Sweden team looks like a juggernaut. Canada's win over the USA was huge as it put Russia, Sweden and the USA on the other side of the bracket.

Yes, Swedes look one to beat, but Russians can fill a net quickly.

Loved the win over USA.

It increases chance of gold for sure, but I wont even bother watching Swiss game, no challenge beating up on them.

Thoughts from the games today:

- I didn't catch a ton of the Finland game but Lehkonen's line was their best. However, he was once again the least noticeable among them. That said, he played alright.

- Fucale wasn't tested much but got the job done, he'll surely be the starter against the Finns. Hudon had a quiet game and didn't play much down the stretch. That shoulder is still bothering him.

- I wasn't a fan of Collberg's game today and Reway was only a bit better. Reway too often tried to make the perfectly precise difficult play when the simpler option was likely the better one. Collberg just didn't seem to be into it aside from the powerplay; he managed to take a goalie interference penalty on a breakaway which is an interesting feat. De la Rose had another strong game.

I think de la Rose's game looks pretty darn solid and Collberg is playing "fine".

I would guess de la Rose will spend 1 more year in SHL and Collberg will be Hamilton bound in late spring, but another year in weightroom and SHL wouldn't hurt him (but he may get more icetime in AHL)?

I think de la Rose's game looks pretty darn solid and Collberg is playing "fine".

I would guess de la Rose will spend 1 more year in SHL and Collberg will be Hamilton bound in late spring, but another year in weightroom and SHL wouldn't hurt him (but he may get more icetime in AHL)?

I liked De la Rose today, Collberg was so-so. He actually backchecked at times but he was far too perimeter-oriented again in the offensive zone. He seems to be content being the #3 guy on his line, I was hoping to see him playing more aggressive/assertive.

Disappointing for Canada. I didn't like the rhetoric and media cheerleading around the team back when we were winning each year, but now it's become clear that other countries have caught up. Well deserved win for Finland - they held us to like two shots through the first 18 minutes of the third when we're down by two. Lehkonen was strong in all facets of the game. And again, Hudon was glued to the bench but was instantly effective when given a chance. They should have used him a bit more over McDavid, who was overmatched in this tourney.

The ref is clearly overrefing.

Drouin didn't deserve a minor, let alone the 10 mins.

The 10 was an automatic, any penalty deemed as a hit to the head is a 2 and 10 in international play. I don't think it would have mattered much, Canada clearly didn't have it today. I'm not sure Canada's management was paying attention either giving Pouliot the player of the game award; he and Dumba kept one-upping each other for stupid decisions/turnovers.

The 10 was an automatic, any penalty deemed as a hit to the head is a 2 and 10 in international play. I don't think it would have mattered much, Canada clearly didn't have it today. I'm not sure Canada's management was paying attention either giving Pouliot the player of the game award; he and Dumba kept one-upping each other for stupid decisions/turnovers.

Yeah, amongst other things, Pouliot made the bone-headed move of giving up that penalty shot that ended up being taken by Teravainen. There's no advantage to giving a chance where the player can think about his move and the pressure mounts on the goalie, over the breakaway in the run of play.

Hudon looked a lot better in the loss today against Russia, that was probably his best game of the tournament. Interestingly enough, he probably had more ice time that he did in any other game as well. Fucale only allowed two but he looked shaky again. His rebound control was suspect and the eventual winner had a bit of an odour to it. That said, he didn't allow a goal after that so I can't be too critical, allowing two goals on 32 shots isn't a bad game.

Go Finland Go!

Lehkonen seems fairly strong on his skates for his size and looks good.

He looked very good on a great team.

Finland was without question the best team in the tournament. Everyone knew their assignments, they played like a team, great passes and smart positioning. There was hardly any physicality or size. They won with two way play. Sweden looked like a powerhouse too. It felt like Finland dominated on possession but Sweden could score on any shift. What a great game.

An article by Mitch Tierney pointed out that Canada's pursuit of being bigger and stronger failed miserably. The Rychel/Anderson/Gauthier line combined for two points and a -7. Canada needs to stop replacing hard working skilled scorers with heavy hitting physical power forwards. On Olympic Ice it does little for you.

That was a great game. I felt bad for the host Swedes, but it's hard not to cheer for Finland. When they play well, they embody all that Canadian hockey pretends to be.

Lehkonen and De La Rose look like very smart players.

Lehkonen really stood out these past two games. It's not often the top guys kill penalties too but he did that for the Finns and did quite well. De la Rose was a little quieter in this one but he wasn't bad either. Collberg had one of his better games; he actually looked interested in all three zones instead of one.

I've added today's stats to the StatTracker as well as some notes on each player: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3283