If you could undo one (& only 1) of MB's moves, which would it be?

Psycing

Like you guys I have been wonderfully underwhelmed by Briere. Which leads inescapably to the question.. Just what is a "whelm"?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merriam-webster.com%2Fdictionary%2Fwhelm&ei=TPjCUqrADIP3oASYUw&usg=AFQjCNFuMvHY0DtZxEbdbJEez5SoaOOn9g&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cGU

follow this link and all will be revealed.

There are a few things I would have done differently

1. I would have hired better assistants than the ones that MT has. (the same especially applies for Hamilton)

2. Signing Briere and not signing a bigger player instead.

3. Signing some of the D men such as Murray, Bouillon and Drewiske.

They have depth in Hamilton, when are they going to start playing

What a lot of people are missing about the Larry Robinson signing-Bergevin mentioned that he would let the head coach pick his assistants. I can tell you as a manager, the last thing you want is a subordinate manager that outshines you in every capacity. It's terrible for the chain of command. You want a subordinate that brings something to the table, does what you need them to do and someone to complement your managing style, whether it's an echo, or "good cop/bad cop." No manager is going to hire his replacement.

Guest Stogey24

What a lot of people are missing about the Larry Robinson signing-Bergevin mentioned that he would let the head coach pick his assistants. I can tell you as a manager, the last thing you want is a subordinate manager that outshines you in every capacity. It's terrible for the chain of command. You want a subordinate that brings something to the table, does what you need them to do and someone to complement your managing style, whether it's an echo, or "good cop/bad cop." No manager is going to hire his replacement.

That's a good point

That's a good point

It is a good point, one I've thought was highly salient both to MT's reluctance to hire Robinson (assuming Big Bird would have come, which frankly I doubt) and MB's resistance to Roy.

Think about it. The minute Therrien got into any trouble, there would have been a massive groundswell of media and fan opinion in favour of replacing him with Robinson. No matter how many times Larry would have publicly stated his lack of interest in the head coaching job, it would have been the same. Had Bergevin hired Roy as coach, it would have been the same thing: "when will this seat-warmer Bergevin finally give up the big chair to Saint Patrick?"

It's unfortunate, but that's life in Montreal.

Hahaha! Thanks HR.

So I'm understaggered!

Funnily enough most of the equivalents have negative connotations yet we use underwhelmed as a negative. So we are undershattered! Ha!

My all time favourite is "flabberghasted".

I've been trying to locate my flabber and have it un-ghasted as I'm sure this lies behind many of my character flaws.

Love it!

Thanks

I would say the Briere signing and extending DD as the biggest fumble. Not because I dislike Briere, but there is no room for Briere and Desharnais on the same team. Briere is a centerman. He has not played his position at all, nor has he been played with complimentary players. My beef is the combination of signing Briere and extending DD.

Agreed! It was so obvious to me that as soon as MB lost the Lecavalier sweepstakes, he somewhat panicked and decided to pick up the next big Francophone player out there. I never liked the Brière signing because he is exactly what the Habs DON'T need at the moment. We have plenty of smurfs, we didn't need one more!

Luckily, the Brière signing is only a 2 year contract.

Did MB even want Lecavalier? I seriously doubt that he was interested in signing any long-term contracts at all. That's the thing with Bergevin, he has avoided tying his own hands with any long-term commitments, and this is why none of his mistakes are very significant.

Personally, I think Molson was behind the Briere signing. He showed himself to be prone to panic on the "French" file when he cut the feet out from under Cunneyworth. He probably see signing Briere as a great way to recover from the PR debacle, and Bergie had to go along. The alternative is to think that MB was unable to see what everyone else on the planet saw, i.e., that Briere made no sense as a fit for this particular team.

It should not be ignored that Cunneyworth should have never been an NHL head coach. Regardless of his bilingualism. Gauthier choosing him was pretty much a tank move. He was an awful head coach regardless of the politics of language. He could have been fluent in 12 languages and he still would have failed miserably.

It should not be ignored that Cunneyworth should have never been an NHL head coach. Regardless of his bilingualism. Gauthier choosing him was pretty much a tank move. He was an awful head coach regardless of the politics of language. He could have been fluent in 12 languages and he still would have failed miserably.

Hey, I don't regret the Cunneyworth debacle one bit. Thanks to Cunneyworth, we have Chucky on our team!!

Did MB even want Lecavalier? I seriously doubt that he was interested in signing any long-term contracts at all. That's the thing with Bergevin, he has avoided tying his own hands with any long-term commitments, and this is why none of his mistakes are very significant.

Personally, I think Molson was behind the Briere signing.

I think that MB WAS interested in Lecavalier, but he wasn't interested in giving him a 4 year deal...rightfully so! As far as the Brière thing is concerned, I agree, I don't think MB was very interested, but I also do believe that G. Molson might have been behind the hiring of Brière!