Dec. 31, Montreal vs Carolina, 7 PM

dlbalr

Even with lousy officiating, there is no way you should be losing a game that you led by 3 in the 3rd period. 4 minute PP to finish regulation and start OT and you can't score. NO excuse for this game.

They need to put Markov and Subban back together. No way you can have Markov playing with Emelin and getting that much 5 on 5 time considering how he is playing right now. Just a crap way to close out the year.

And we lose in overtime. Bad goal on Price.

That is what happens when you show no urgency on the pp to win the game.

Refs were a joke so it is hard to know how bad the Habs would have been playing 5-5 hockey.

Seems we are heading into our slump.

Refs were a joke so it is hard to know how bad the Habs would have been playing 5-5 hockey.

I thought we were already IN a slump :bonk:

Emelin was terrible that entire shift. Weak play in the corner, weak play on Semin... when did Emelin turn into Bouillon?

Heading into the slump? They are already there. December has been brutal hockey.

45 shots against, 10 penalties, can't hold a 3 goal lead with 1 period to go. These guys blow. They are back to the emotionless, zombie like hockey they have had for years.

It is seriously time to start getting rid of the core players who get nothing done. There is about 5 I would like to see ASAP.

I'm glad i don't understand French. I left RDS on and it looks like that clown PJ Stock was on Antichambere doing some schtick.

This team has definitely been in a slump all month. What is amazing is that they scored 4 goals in tonight's loss.

Heading into the slump? They are already there. December has been brutal hockey.

45 shots against, 10 penalties, can't hold a 3 goal lead with 1 period to go. These guys blow. They are back to the emotionless, zombie like hockey they have had for years.

It is seriously time to start getting rid of the core players who get nothing done. There is about 5 I would like to see ASAP.

Lets begin with Therrien.

DD

Briere

Bouillon.... I think its easier to name the ones who Id like to keep. Its funny though that the players Id like gone the most are all the mediafavorite french players. Is it really that hard to actually get a french player that actually can play good?

Sorry no, this "core" had had 3 different coaches and the hockey has been the same. It's time the Habs start removing players for there on ice performance.

But I agree with you his man crush on the smurs (except Briere) is incredibly annoying. They fail and do nothing but continue to get ice time.

sorry, smurfs

Lets begin with Therrien.

DD

Briere

Bouillon.... I think its easier to name the ones who Id like to keep. Its funny though that the players Id like gone the most are all the mediafavorite french players. Is it really that hard to actually get a french player that actually can play good?

I still don't understand the need for French managers. Using the media as an excuse is cowardly, and the French coaches and management stink.

Bowman

Blake

Selke

Pollock

Caron

Houle

Martin

Therrien

Tremblay

Anyone see a pattern here? To think that our choices going forward are Guy Boucher, Claude Noel or Sylvain Lefebvre is scary.

The next coach will be Roy. You heard it here first. MT will probably get his full term or close to it. Roy's contract is similar in length. Roy and MB were both really impressed with each other or so the story goes, I don't think MB wanted hire a rookie coach.

• Upvote 1

Apparently my sarcasm was far too subtle.

This isn't a coaching problem. This is a small team that needs to play way harder then other teams to win. You can't do that for 82 games and it is even harder in the playoffs. Until he gets some skill with size on this team, there isn't much he can do.

Ummm... What just happened here? That was horribly officiated game both ways. Habs got a lot of wierd calls. Canes got a few wierd calls. I can't really blame Montreal for the shot differential. They had 40 penalties. What's unfortunate is that the momentum swing was when Stall jumped on Price's head and Gorges shoved him, and unbelieveably got the roughing call. So confusing. Habs should have won this regardless of Reffing. Bad loss.

Guest Stogey24

Pretty funny, I turned the game on for literally two seconds, just to check the score and the first thing I saw was Emelin way out of position; which stemmed a scoring chance for Carolina. He's been one of the worst positional players since his return.

Well, I didn't see this debacle. Fortunately.

But I have to laugh at how the discourse around Therrien is beginning to mirror exactly the discourse around Martin. Now, I never thought JM did a bad job coaching us, and I don't really think MT is doing a bad job, either. "He insists on playing the smurfs." Well, what the hell can you do when that's your team? "He mixes up lines." Yeah, him and every other coach under the sun. "I don't like how he uses player X." Sure, like you're going to agree with EVERY decision a coach makes.

What may have happened here is that any "Therrien effect" from last season has now petered out. The clear buy-in to a clear message has sort of faded out in favour of the usual grind. If you ask me he is right on schedule to get canned next season, as I predicted when he first got hired. (And Chris, I don't think he'll be replaced by Roy, because Roy is much further away from being dumped in Colorado than Therrien is in Montreal. As has been the case with Vigneault, the timing has been off; and speaking of AV, I'll bet he's our next coach, since he hasn't worked any wonders in New York and may well be available when MT is canned).

This team is basically what we all thought it was heading into the season - not bad but not a contender. We all knew that MB would really start putting his stamp on the club either during this year's trading deadline or this off-season. So I'm not sure where the anger is coming from, when you really think about it. The current team should be measured by one standard: the progress/development of Galy, Gally, Eller, Subban, Bournival, Diaz, and any other young players who are our only hope of contending in this era. A really thoughtful critique would focus there IMHO.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but like in the NFL, I believe coaches have buy out clauses if offered other positions. I know Colorado doesn't want to get rid of him. I'm just sating it's probably his dream job and if a position opened up for the habs, I would look there first.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but like in the NFL, I believe coaches have buy out clauses if offered other positions. I know Colorado doesn't want to get rid of him. I'm just sating it's probably his dream job and if a position opened up for the habs, I would look there first

Habs 4th in East, Aves 7th in west (after incredible start and likely will miss playoffs), both teams have won 4 of last 10, you think Roy is the answer? I have my doubts about him but it would be entertaining with his huge ego?

Subban 57th in scoring

then

Plekanec and Galchenyuk @ 101st and 118th in scoring.

Oilers top scorers, 30th, 38th, 38th and 42nd in scoring and the are sitting in 29th place.

If could only mix and match might have 2 strong teams.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but like in the NFL, I believe coaches have buy out clauses if offered other positions. I know Colorado doesn't want to get rid of him. I'm just sating it's probably his dream job and if a position opened up for the habs, I would look there first.

Doesn't he want to be GM, though? I dunno, I think we should stop fantasizing about Roy. If he comes it here it will presumably be as coach/GM (a risky configuration to say the least) and that means that the Bergevin era has been a disaster. Personally I prefer to imagine a future where Bergevin is still GM 10 years from now and has a track record of success, including at least one championship. ;)

There's no buyout clause in a coach contract. Teams will often grant permission for someone to speak with an assistant regarding a head coaching position - either NHL or AHL - but very, very seldom for a lateral move. The only time you'd see that happening is if the original team wanted to fire the coach but was too cheap to have to pay two head coach salaries. Colorado's ownership is very cheap but I can't see that scenario happening (and boy, do I hope it doesn't).

With the French thing and coaches I think they are pretty limited. Roy will get some experience. The Avs are 7th, but if they were in the east the would be a lot higher than that.

I also agree an upgrade to talent will go a long way.

Happy New Year! Us Yanks get to watch the Habs struggle on the powerplay, followed by 800 year old Dick Clark mumble through the ball drop. Dick Clark makes Bob Cole sound like Daniel Webster. (Another Yank reference).

Hahah!

Happy New Year to you and and all.

Well, I didn't see this debacle. Fortunately.

But I have to laugh at how the discourse around Therrien is beginning to mirror exactly the discourse around Martin. Now, I never thought JM did a bad job coaching us, and I don't really think MT is doing a bad job, either. "He insists on playing the smurfs." Well, what the hell can you do when that's your team? "He mixes up lines." Yeah, him and every other coach under the sun. "I don't like how he uses player X." Sure, like you're going to agree with EVERY decision a coach makes.

What may have happened here is that any "Therrien effect" from last season has now petered out. The clear buy-in to a clear message has sort of faded out in favour of the usual grind. If you ask me he is right on schedule to get canned next season, as I predicted when he first got hired. (And Chris, I don't think he'll be replaced by Roy, because Roy is much further away from being dumped in Colorado than Therrien is in Montreal. As has been the case with Vigneault, the timing has been off; and speaking of AV, I'll bet he's our next coach, since he hasn't worked any wonders in New York and may well be available when MT is canned).

This team is basically what we all thought it was heading into the season - not bad but not a contender. We all knew that MB would really start putting his stamp on the club either during this year's trading deadline or this off-season. So I'm not sure where the anger is coming from, when you really think about it. The current team should be measured by one standard: the progress/development of Galy, Gally, Eller, Subban, Bournival, Diaz, and any other young players who are our only hope of contending in this era. A really thoughtful critique would focus there IMHO.

If I had a clue I'd have said that. :-)