Habs going to the Olympics

dlbalr

With most of the countries announcing their rosters either today/tomorrow, we may as well get the thread going for those that are for sure going. Here are the Habs who have been named to their respective countries' squads:

Canada: Carey Price, P.K.Subban

Czech Republic: Tomas Plekanec (captain)

Russia: Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin

Slovakia: Peter Budaj

Switzerland: Raphael Diaz

USA: Max Pacioretty

Expect several others to be named by tomorrow. Let's post the updates in here as the announcements are made.

As I'm reading about Switzerland's team, there's apparently a secondary list, I presume for injury replacements. Robert Mayer is somehow on that list.

To no one's surprise, Plekanec has been named to the Czech team. What may come as a surprise is that he will be the captain of that squad. With the possibility of the Habs needing a new captain for next year, him wearing the 'C' for his country could throw his name into the mix to succeed Gionta.

What also may come as a surprise is that Tomas Kaberle and Petr Nedved are also on that team.

I would expect Markov to be named to Team Russia and the Price and Subban will be named to team Canada.

Eller should be invited by Denmark...that is if they can field a team!

To no one's surprise, Plekanec has been named to the Czech team. What may come as a surprise is that he will be the captain of that squad. With the possibility of the Habs needing a new captain for next year, him wearing the 'C' for his country could throw his name into the mix to succeed Gionta.

What also may come as a surprise is that Tomas Kaberle and Petr Nedved are also on that team.

I'm so happy for Plekanec! He's underrated so maybe this will finally get him so well deserved recognition.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing him as our captain either. I like it better than gorges. He's a lifelong hab, the most consistant player we have, and it just seems like your captain should be one of your best players. That's Plekanec.

Here's to subby price Emelin markov making it. Am I missing anyone?

Why hasn't Tomas ever even had an 'A' with the Habs? I have wondered that for a couple years, he seems like he isn't scared to speak with refs or media and works his ass off most games.

I would expect Markov to be named to Team Russia and the Price and Subban will be named to team Canada.

Eller should be invited by Denmark...that is if they can field a team!

Emelin will surely be chosen for Russia as well. I hope Subban makes Canada and that TSN/CBC are just talking crap about him being on the outside looking it, just so they have a controversy to talk about.

The man must be ancient. Is it legal to have a sarcophagus on the ice?

Man the czech team may be the weakest among the traditional hockey countries. Pleks, Krejci, milacheck a 41 year old Jagr. What happened to the development of players over there???

Hertl got injured. I don't know how they passed over Hudler.

A couple years ago Finland looked like they were in the same boat as the Czechs now - i.e. with all their good players aging or already aged. Now Finland has some good youth in pipeline (although I don't think they'll be able to recover from the loss of Mikko Koivu in this tournament).

The man must be ancient. Is it legal to have a sarcophagus on the ice?

looking at the stats Petr at 42 years of age is still a solid point per game man. impressive. Why do we have that 35 year old contract thingy agin?

Guest Stogey24

Hertl got injured. I don't know how they passed over Hudler.

A couple years ago Finland looked like they were in the same boat as the Czechs now - i.e. with all their good players aging or already aged. Now Finland has some good youth in pipeline (although I don't think they'll be able to recover from the loss of Mikko Koivu in this tournament).

Koivu will be back for the Olympics

Budaj gets the call for the Slovaks. There was a large contingent of Slovak fans that wanted Reway to make it but team officials said he was too young (he would have been their youngest ever). It was suggested that he could be an option for the World Championships in May though.

What about Nash over St Louis?

But great seeing Subban!!! Hopefully he will be in the top 6!!

It still amazes me that PK is the number two point guy, one of the best in terms of plus minus (on a low scoring 5 on 5 team), won the Norris, and has a ton of speed and big ice experience, yet is listed as the number 8 guy on the team.

It still amazes me that PK is the number two point guy, one of the best in terms of plus minus (on a low scoring 5 on 5 team), won the Norris, and has a ton of speed and big ice experience, yet is listed as the number 8 guy on the team.

Don't take when he was announced seriously. It was alphabetical order.

Don't take when he was announced seriously. It was alphabetical order.

I am talking about the analyst lists... It is a remote possibility that he was higher on Team Canada's order.

Personally... I put him above weber. If anyone should be a PP only guy it's Weber. I would go with 7 D and use Weber on the PP, with PK getting a more regular shift.

Weber is minus 13 this year. He has a great shot on the PP, but if they are so concerned with 5 on 5 defensive play, Weber has been nothing to write home about this year. PK has been the top 5 on 5 Canadian defenseman the last two years.

Frankly, but PK on Chicago and he might have 40 assists by now.

Nash over a lot of guys.

Seguin, Marty, Claude,

If he doesn't start there he will end up there.