Our Defense

Neech

Therrien took over a team that stunk up the season two years ago, 15th in the conference and couldn't beat anybody, virtually the same line up(because the additions have sucked) and turned the team into a playoff team. He and MB have maintained all along it will take time to get to being competitive with top teams, and that's the truth. We always get the "steamrolled by Ottawa" story, which is just that, a story. We had injuries, and we had some bad, bad puck luck, and an injured starting goalie, while Ottawa was even permitted to kick goals in. The only game Ottawa dominated was game 5, other than that, we held our own, and dominated games, only to be thwarted by that pinhead Anderson. MT did all he could do, yet was accused of being out coached by the Walrus, when he was really "out lucked" and it was from every angle.

I think it's the bi-polar fans that are less than mediocre when assessing the coach. I don't think there is another coach that could make this roster any better in terms of the standings. Guy Carbonneau was fired while 7 games over .500, after winning the conference, and the team played hard for him and Muller. The team got lucky and over achieved in two playoff series a bit under Martin before it sunk to the bottom, and I don't think Toe Blake himself could keep this team higher than where it is in the standings any better than MT is.....

Roster changes are needed, lot's of them, then we will see about what we need as a coach...... remember the discipline and finals loss to Calgary under Burns, then the change to the reigns coming off under player's coach that let them play and win, Demers. That was a roster that wasn't so great, but strong at center, and in nets, with a good stay at home D game..... We arent' strong at center, and our stay at home D is named Murray.....

This team is not not as bad as you make it out to be imho, and it was a hell of a lot better than the 15th place finish in the year that was forked. I really don't think MT turned this team around, we simply don't have the injuries and crap going on that we had then. I think that MT like some of the players on this club is a place holder, untill we can get a real talent in there. No I don't know who that is yet.

I agree that MT and some players are place holders, it's perfectly logical, and maybe you are right that they are better than I have suggested, I certainly hope you are right :)

Don, take it easy, that was a joke. Habs 29 wanted him fire the day he got here. I am just too damn sutble. But I don't like MT, I don't think he is a good coach. Hey it's my opinnion but as I say he is here for now.

Was not excited, but in rereading it, I can see that reads that way.

I am not a big fan of Therrien and am surprised how well he has done, or moreso how I am not as displeased with him as I thought I would be.

Sure, he and staff make some odd selections (Yemelin on wrong side, Diaz scratchs. etc) but likely no-more than most NHL teams who breakup lines/combos and d-pairing often over 82 games.

And what I getting at was that, given French mandatory, Therrien not mismanaging too badly, team in playoff spot and a firing just aint gonna happen anytime soon.

And what I getting at was that, given French mandatory, Therrien not mismanaging too badly, team in playoff spot and a firing just aint gonna happen anytime soon.

on that we absolutely agree. Sorry if took the earlier post the wrong way.

on that we absolutely agree. Sorry if took the earlier post the wrong way.

Now, if Murray and Subban actually are played together today, the shitstorm caused by 'Murray-haters' out there, should be quite vocal and humorous to see overreaction.

But, quite an 'interesting' combo for sure.

Murray is slow, but honestly has been probably been the best habs recently in his own end. he is also the only physical D they have until Emelin picks it up. He should be promoted up the lineup.

I am sure it has already been stated, but I will reinforce it, one of the biggest dilemmas on defense is the lack of a presistent scoring presence on offense. If you want help on defense, for my money, thats where you should be looking.

I am sure it has already been stated, but I will reinforce it, one of the biggest dilemmas on defense is the lack of a presistent scoring presence on offense. If you want help on defense, for my money, thats where you should be looking.

I think Beaulieu may be part of answer, as we saw with his 'Subban-like' stretch pass to Pacioretty. His speed and puck skills may be a real boost in moving puck up ice ( as long as all realize he will have egregious turnovers and some giveaways, but normal and all part of learning curve).

I think Beaulieu may be part of answer, as we saw with his 'Subban-like' stretch pass to Pacioretty. His speed and puck skills may be a real boost in moving puck up ice ( as long as all realize he will have egregious turnovers and some giveaways, but normal and all part of learning curve).

You know what I liked about Beaulieu against the Leafs last week? On the PP he skated through the neutral zone, hit the blue line and then chipped the puck off the glass to himself in the corner.

It immediately stood out to me because it wasn't one of the two ways Montreal gains the zone on the PP. (Either a weak dump in to the corner that our forward doesn't get to first, or a hard rim around the boards that our forward doesn't get to first)

The play ultimately didn't work (I think Beaulieu passed to an ill-advised area after he got the puck) but it was nice to see something different for a change.

Guest Stogey24

You know what I liked about Beaulieu against the Leafs last week? On the PP he skated through the neutral zone, hit the blue line and then chipped the puck off the glass to himself in the corner.

It immediately stood out to me because it wasn't one of the two ways Montreal gains the zone on the PP. (Either a weak dump in to the corner that our forward doesn't get to first, or a hard rim around the boards that our forward doesn't get to first)

The play ultimately didn't work (I think Beaulieu passed to an ill-advised area after he got the puck) but it was nice to see something different for a change.

It's nice to see Beaulieu have the confidence to do those type of things too. Beaulieu is big and he can move the Puck, he may turn out to be something pretty special. Not to mention how badly we need his style of play on the second PP

I remember a couple of years ago at training camp, it was unanimous - among players too - that Beaulieu was going to be a future star in the NHL. His shine seems to have faded since then as his development has hit some bumps, but I always keep that in the back of my mind with this guy. Just because the mighty Subban has overshadowed him in our collective mind doesn't mean that he doesn't have significant potential of his own. I do like the caveats in the preceding posts, though - he will make mistakes and will be on a substantial learning curve. Don't be shocked if it takes him 3-4 years to really start coming into his own at this level.

Although Beaulieu might help, I was thinking of a forward ; keeping the pressure off the defense by spending more quality time in the offensive zone. Using a football adage; the best defense is a good offense.

Guest Stogey24

Although Beaulieu might help, I was thinking of a forward ; keeping the pressure off the defense by spending more quality time in the offensive zone. Using a football adage; the best defense is a good offense.

The one guy who has been mentioned on here before and could take a pay cut due to his injury problems is Marian Gaborik. Tons of speed and a true goal scorer when he's healthy.

Gaborik would be a better addition than, say, the Hero of the Quebec Nation - and would be a potentially great acquisition on a short-term contract like Briere's - but you're probably still gonna overpay and have to cough up term to boot. Do you really want him as a core piece for, say, 5 years at $6 mil or whatever? Always remember, when it comes to free agency, you are competing against the dumbest GMs in hockey in a race to overpay often-declining players who hardly ever deliver full value. So, I'm all for it if term length is short, otherwise, non merci.

Murray is slow, but honestly has been probably been the best habs recently in his own end. he is also the only physical D they have until Emelin picks it up. He should be promoted up the lineup.

The fact that Murray has actually looked good at times and better than most of the defence says a lot about our defence when you consider ther are a lot of people who think he the worst defenceman in the league.

The D is a disaster for one main reason, which is that #79 and #74 are playing like absolute garbage. When they play like that we have exactly one legitimate top-4 defencemen - and thank the good Lord above he happens to be one of the very best defencemen in all of hockey, because without him we'd quickly become a lottery team with Markov and Emelin playing like that. All we can do is hope those guys turn it around.

As things stand, I would not be traumatized if Bergevin were to trade Markov at the deadline to some true contender, IF he can get serious value back (which he probably would do). I understand that when Markov is on his game he is still a very, very good offensive defenceman...but the prospect of spending the next three years crossing our fingers that he can bring his "A" game with some regularity is not too appealing. This organization is not strong enough to warrant being leery of bold, high-reward moves IMHO.

The D is a disaster for one main reason, which is that #79 and #74 are playing like absolute garbage. When they play like that we have exactly one legitimate top-4 defencemen - and thank the good Lord above he happens to be one of the very best defencemen in all of hockey, because without him we'd quickly become a lottery team with Markov and Emelin playing like that. All we can do is hope those guys turn it around.

As things stand, I would not be traumatized if Bergevin were to trade Markov at the deadline to some true contender, IF he can get serious value back (which he probably would do). I understand that when Markov is on his game he is still a very, very good offensive defenceman...but the prospect of spending the next three years crossing our fingers that he can bring his "A" game with some regularity is not too appealing. This organization is not strong enough to warrant being leery of bold, high-reward moves IMHO.

Markov maybe like Gonchar and still had 'good' years left at similar age, but likely not at All-Star level anymore.

I would almost think, "maybe he is slightly injured", then I see coachs running him out there at end of blowout games, which you wouldn't do if think he needs rest or an easy night.

Markov maybe like Gonchar and still had 'good' years left at similar age, but likely not at All-Star level anymore.

I would almost think, "maybe he is slightly injured", then I see coachs running him out there at end of blowout games, which you wouldn't do if think he needs rest or an easy night.

I'd resign Markov for 3 more years. But MT has to keep his minutes under 22.

Guest Stogey24

Were you not just defending Markov about a week ago when I said it's time to move on.

Stogey24, I don't think that was me (?). Anyway, it's a position I've recently come around to after being somewhat on the fence, so perhaps I am "contradicting" something I said earlier. Whatever - this ain't a political party platform!

Stogey24, I don't think that was me (?). Anyway, it's a position I've recently come around to after being somewhat on the fence, so perhaps I am "contradicting" something I said earlier. Whatever - this ain't a political party platform!

Not near as much BS, nor flip-flopping as that you mean. :)

Ha ha, what I mean is actually the opposite, DON. I think I'm like a lot of people around here in that my views shift somewhat as things evolve; and also I'm not above taking an idea for a "test drive" to see what people think on this board. We're not like politicians in the sense that we have to toe the same line month after month and year after year or else be accused of "flip-flopping." Now obviously, a poster who says on Monday that Markov is untouchable and then on Tuesday is calling for him to be shipped out will have a credibility problem. But somebody who says in November, "gee, I'm not sure we should trade Markov" and then in February, "you know what? Trading Markov is the responsible move for this organization" shouldn't be pilloried for "flip-flopping." Unlike politicians, we're entitled to have our thinking evolve, I'd say.

Guest Stogey24

Ha ha, what I mean is actually the opposite, DON. I think I'm like a lot of people around here in that my views shift somewhat as things evolve; and also I'm not above taking an idea for a "test drive" to see what people think on this board. We're not like politicians in the sense that we have to toe the same line month after month and year after year or else be accused of "flip-flopping." Now obviously, a poster who says on Monday that Markov is untouchable and then on Tuesday is calling for him to be shipped out will have a credibility problem. But somebody who says in November, "gee, I'm not sure we should trade Markov" and then in February, "you know what? Trading Markov is the responsible move for this organization" shouldn't be pilloried for "flip-flopping." Unlike politicians, we're entitled to have our thinking evolve, I'd say.

I'm pretty bad for the flip flopping. The thing with Markov is that about a month ago he was one of our best D-men, now his check engine light has come on and his wheels are

barely turning. Like I've mentioned before, every hockey panel is starting to talk about Markov....

I still want to keep Markov. We just have to realize he shouldn't be playing 20+ minutes and shouldn't be the top pairing dman anymore. I think he will e invaluable in Bealieau and Tinrodi's development

I'm pretty bad for the flip flopping. The thing with Markov is that about a month ago he was one of our best D-men, now his check engine light has come on and his wheels are

barely turning. Like I've mentioned before, every hockey panel is starting to talk about Markov....

Hockey panels and media need to rant and rave to attract attention and I really don't pay them much heed.

But, is just funny that I got cut to shreads for even hinting that Markov could be trade fodder, earlier in season when he was tearing it up, but now when his value has plummeted (dropped a lot) many are saying ship him out/don't resign/ he is washed up.

And team isn't doing well, so Bergevn would be dealing from very poor position if wanting to trade.

Not that I don't make irrational proposals and "flip-flop' on stances re players; but just is smarter to sell high (Souray-Kovalev were others I would of shipped at X-mas, several years ago, when were at high point and then both walked for nothing), not when a player's "engine light" is on.

Or you will need to trade a underperformer for some other teams underperformer, a la.. trade a Squid for a spineless Rene (but did get Fucale and Holland at least I suppose).