Building a franchise

Leafs Suck

If you had a team in each of the four major pro leagues in North America (NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL), and a football team in say England, and you had your selection of any player currently in that league or on the raise, to build your team around who would they be?

NHL - Sidney Crosby. He will be the man in the NHL for the next decade or two,

MLB - Vladimir Guerraro. Been a huge fan of his ever since he was an Expo. He's young and has tons of skill.

NBA - LeBron James. LBJ is a superstar already. I saw him live a few months back. All he did was score 58 points.

NFL - Payton Manning. He is the reason I got back into the NFL.

Football - Wayne Rooney. The guy is barley old enough to drink but he is a hell of a player. Arguably the best British football player since Georgie Best.

• 2 weeks later...

In Hockey, Crosby could be the one who's able to turn around a team ... though it's always difficult to build around only one player. A team needs also a great goalie, there it normally starts.

The same in soccer, I wouldn't know such a young player where you could say that he's the cornerstone for a soccer club. The overall level is simply too tight in these days, there isn't a young player who could dominate a whole game at the international level.

Nonetheless - if I could chose, it would be a young Zidane.

Originally posted by alexstream

Golf - Tiger Wood..

:lol:

• 2 months later...

Soccer: Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Hockey: Martin Brodeur

Football: Michael Vick

Basketball: Ben Wallace

Baseball: Orlando Hudson

Hockey: Jarome Iginla: He's one of the best all around talents in the game, he has Cup experience, and he's a good leader.

Baseball: Albert Pujols or Johann Santana. I can't decide if I want to build around a pitcher or position player. Pujols is the best position player in baseball. He's one of the best young hitters I've ever seen. If it weren't for Bonds steroid use, Pujols would already have 2-3 MVPs. If I built around a pitcher, it would be Santana. The kid is just 26 and has amazing stuff.

Football: Peyton Manning. The best QB in the NFL. RB are a dime a dozen, and Manning can make any reciever good. Vick is a great athlete, but a terrible QB.

Basketball: The NBA is not a team sport, so building a "team" around somebody is impossible.

Soccer: Steven Gerrard. I don't know enough about soccer, so I'll just choose the best player on the one team I follow, Liverpool FC.