Diaz traded to Vancouver for Weise

brobin

The first of many i believe.

He'll take the 4th line LW Role when Moen is moved.

I believe he is pretty gritty and likes to throw his fists every now and again. Stands up for team mates.

Talk about selling someone at the bottom of their value. Really wonder if this is the best Diaz could net us...

I agree. He is an Olympian and while he was snake bit, our defence has been brutal while he has been in the press box. They sure know how to showcase players to get more.

We lost the trade off in skill for sure.

However Diaz was completely redundant and wasn't playing due to Nathan Beaulieu and ensuring Beaulieu has a spot on this team is pretty high priority to me.

I hear Canucks fans really liked him and that when he was given more minutes and wasn't expected to fight he showed some hands. He's also quite fast. However, other Canucks fans hated him and lump him with Booth as a detriment to the team. I guess Weise was also in Tort's doghouse so it's possible we're trading doghouse players.

On paper I don't like the trade but if Weise is the kind of guy to wake a few of the guys up with hardnose play I'm quite good with that. This team needed a trade, any trade so since we didn't lose anything significant I'm good with that.

I liked his grit and size, fits culture change, is 500,000 cheaper, only 25 years old, a Western Candian guy also a plus and Diaz was on Mgmt's shitist.

So am fine with it for more grit and depth up front.

Would a 2nd-3rd round pick been better? Dont know, but splitting hairs.

Too bad they couldn't get a 4th line fighter with any sort of pugilistic skills. I don't think Weise has won a fight since he's been in the NHL. What does he bring that Moen doesn't other than 1.1 million in cap relief?

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2908

Seeing as Moen has been unquestionably our best bottom six forward this season and one of our best players, he doesn't bring anything different.

I'll take hard work over no work and I'll take hard work over a few punches but allowing a goal on your shift every game.

Would a 2nd-3rd round pick been better? Dont know, but splitting hairs.

What NHL team out there is going to give a second or third round pick for Diaz?

So already having enough 4th liners to fill two lines, we picked up another one.

MB has done a great job of loading up on 4th liners and 6th/7th dmen.

He needs to grow a pair and make a trade that actually adresses our shortcomings.

• Upvote 1

Interesting trade, on one hand I feel that vancouver got the better player, or at least the one with more upside. At his best Diaz can be a good offensive D man on a second PP wave, at his worst he is soft and somewhat suspect defensively, not the defence man you want in the playoffs. Furthermore he is UFA at seasons end and despite his short comings he will be in for a raise this off season.

Although im not very familiar with Weise, from the looks of it he seams very much to be the same type of player as a Brandon Prust. This is definitely an upgrade on our bottom 6. This will make us harder to play against, especially vs the St.Louis and LA type teams. Also Weise seems to be someone you want during the playoffs plus he is RFA at seasons end so we control his fate.

The biggest issue imho that this team still faces is the need to dump one or more of DD, Bourque and Briere because none can consistently fill a top 6 OR a bottom 6 role.

Bottom line, if Weise end up being another prust do you still think we lost the trade?

So already having enough 4th liners to fill two lines, we picked up another one.

MB has done a great job of loading up on 4th liners and 6th/7th dmen.

He needs to grow a pair and make a trade that actually adresses our shortcomings.

I agree. The good news for me is that i'll never have to see Raphael Diaz play a game in a habs jersey again. I'm not sure where Weise fits in, and I would rather see Diaz signed and Markov gone. With this signing, we only have Gorges and Emelin under contract. We can't run with three kids or Drewiske, so Markov will almost certainly be signed. Weise isn't even signed after this year. What a horrible deal.

The plus side is that Weise has some serious wheels, so in the best case scenario, he can be an effective forechecker with Eller and Briere, or Eller and Bourque on the third line. If we traded for him to upgrade on the fourth line, then MB is even more stupid that I thought, we have plenty of 4th liners, especially when White comes back.

I would like to think that this has to be a precursor to more deals, but as we learned this summer from the defense, MB loves a log jam of useless mediocre players.

The biggest issue imho that this team still faces is the need to dump one or more of DD, Bourque and Briere because none can consistently fill a top 6 OR a bottom 6 role.

I think it's time to stop the DD trade demands. He isn't the problem anymore. He's been one of our best forwards. Bourque definitely needs to go. I think Weise is going to be replacing him more than anything. Briere needs more ice time or needs to be moved because he's in Therrien's doghouse. His lack of minutes has been ridiculous.

We really should be looking at forwards like Lars Eller and asking if he's just having a bad year or if he's just a limited prospect who only sometimes shows moments of something greater. He isn't filling Galchenyuk's skates right now and despite people being in denial, he stopped playing well even when the EGG line was still together. Beyond Bourque, he's the biggest question mark for me in the forwards. Even more than Gionta, who is one of the few Habs who have been scoring in the last few games.

I agree. The good news for me is that i'll never have to see Raphael Diaz play a game in a habs jersey again. I'm not sure where Weise fits in, and I would rather see Diaz signed and Markov gone. With this signing, we only have Gorges and Emelin under contract. We can't run with three kids or Drewiske, so Markov will almost certainly be signed. Weise isn't even signed after this year. What a horrible deal.

I don't really know much about Weise, but I think a lot of people over value Diaz just like Rangers over valued Del Zotto who they thought would get a top 6 forward for. Soft 5-11 offensive defensemen with 0 goals normally don't go for much especially when they are UFAs.

I do agree with habs29 that he constantly ignores our shortcomings.

OK, Diaz moved (finally). Now I am waiting for Eller. Please, pleeaase Bergevin, move Eller before everyone else realizes he is not what they think he is. Eller will never complete his fate, he's so overvalued and I like that. If we trade him today, we'll probably get more than we should. And GMs like that. Bourque is another one that needs to be moved. However, I must point out, all the GMs know exactly what Bourque can produce se if we move him, we won't likely get anything special. Eller+Bourque for an interesting scorer would seem fine to me.

I think it's time to stop the DD trade demands. He isn't the problem anymore. He's been one of our best forwards.

He plays with two of our best forwards but I can not see any team having playoff success with him at center. He is not good enough to be a top 2 C, imho he is too dependent on his wingers and his lack of size makes his a defensive liability. Although there may not be a better option at the moment, I think it will be tough for this team to make it the next level while he is still at C.

Possibly the plan is to wait till Galchenyuk is ready to play C and then move DD to the wing?