Diaz traded to Vancouver for Weise

brobin

I don't know about this deal. It looks to me we traded a small consistant though unexciting dman for another 4th liner with little offensive upside. How many tough checking forwards to we need. Where do the goals come from? I hope this isn't the only deal he's going to make cause this is a nothing deal. I thought we could get more for Diaz but maybe not.

Umm. Diaz has no goals. He doesn't even play. Which means he is behind Bealleau (who is playing his wrong side) Boullon on Drewski who is injured.

People really are over valuing Diaz in my opinion.

Like I said earlier, i think this is the begining of several more moves.

Checking out Canuck forums some people were sad to see him go because he is a true heart and soul guy others were happy an cited poor defensive plays in his own end.

Ah, so he'll fit right in with this team coached by Therrien. Poor in-zone defensive play by our forwards has become a Therrien signature in the past few months.

Guest Stogey24

Diaz was on the all star team two years ago and is now playing for his country in the Olympics. I don't understand how we couldn't get more than a depth player. Diaz should have been put in a package deal.

Diaz was on the all star team two years ago and is now playing for his country in the Olympics. I don't understand how we couldn't get more than a depth player. Diaz should have been put in a package deal.

A bit of a stretch to say he was on the all star team...he was an injury replacement for the rookie skills competition. He's also a Swiss Oly. dman, it's not like it's a powerhouse country that was debating leaving Subban off the roster.

To me, it's a spare parts trade. Montreal had an excess of 6/7 defencemen. If he plays more instead of the rotating rookie call-ups and Parros, color me happy. I prefer that to Leblanc getting 4 minutes of ice. Hopefully, there are bigger things to come, but with the building through the draft mantra, I doubt it.

Bad trade. Diaz is the better player in the deal, Weisse is a 4th-liner at best. Console yourselves all you like, this is crummy asset management. I believe that Diaz was undervalued in Montreal and will do very nicely in Vancouver. Booo Bergevin.

I'm not a fan of the deal. I think Diaz has a significant future in the league, while we got a marginal 4th liner in return. The things being said about Diaz now are the same as were said about Streit before we let him go. Like Trizzak said, Diaz is a valuable type of player, much moreso than Weise.

This seems like a move that Kevin Lowe would make.

But, but, but...he's a 4th rounder. Diaz was undrafted. 25yr 4th rounder > 28yr undraftee. :)

I've never seen Weise play, so I can't comment on what kind of player he is. If he's Mike Blunden 2.0, then the trade sucks. If he's anywhere near Moen/Prust, then I approve. Also, Streit > Diaz. Streit as a 4th line winger was annoying, though. That said, if the plan was to trade Diaz, they sure screwed the pooch by benching him. Apparently they thought so little of him that he was either too much of a liability on the ice (I don't agree with that) or that his value couldn't be helped by playing him (I don't agree with that, either.)

Diaz is nothing like Streit. Diaz can't even hit the net.

Do you guys think MB sent out an email saying we have Diaz available, make some offers. team A offers a 2nd rounder. MB says no thanks, i'm going with Vancouver and Weise?

Weise I'm guessing was the best offer.

Diaz is nothing like Streit. Diaz can't even hit the net.

Do you guys think MB sent out an email saying we have Diaz available, make some offers. team A offers a 2nd rounder. MB says no thanks, i'm going with Vancouver and Weise?

Weise I'm guessing was the best offer.

It wasn't. Bergevin had better offers from Eastern Conference teams.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

So, he is so crappy, we were afraid to trade him to the east for a better return.

Something stinks in this whole deal. Diaz must have really been in the doghouse, perhaps for something behind the scenes, but if they thought he was crap why trade him out west?

Frankly, I would rather get draft picks then yet another fourth line spare part.

Bad trade. Diaz is the better player in the deal, Weisse is a 4th-liner at best. Console yourselves all you like, this is crummy asset management. I believe that Diaz was undervalued in Montreal and will do very nicely in Vancouver. Booo Bergevin.

DIaz wasn't bringing anything physical in any zone except maybe the twilight zone.

If a supposed "offensive defenseman" can't even get a goal or put the puck on the net, how can we label DIaz an offensive defensemen. I wish him all the best but his playing time was finished in MTL.

I'm a little disappointed though in the trade, I think he could have been used as a trade filler than what seems like a cap decrease....time will tell though.

Guest Stogey24

So, he is so crappy, we were afraid to trade him to the east for a better return.

Something stinks in this whole deal. Diaz must have really been in the doghouse, perhaps for something behind the scenes, but if they thought he was crap why trade him out west?

Frankly, I would rather get draft picks then yet another fourth line spare part.

That's what I'm saying. Get a pick for Diaz, not another guy who is going to sit in the press box

Yes, if MB says it himself i'll believe it. but as mentioned, if your worried about Diaz somehow influencing your playoff run your team is in really bad shape.

I think we are closer to being sellers then making the playoffs at this point. I know we hold a spot currently, but other then the 9-0-1 stretch they are a 500 team period. Don't see that changing.

I don't really have Diaz pegged as a locker room problem, he's second on the list behind Budaj, and maybe Emelin because of his English, for "locker room cancers." I don't think it's about speed and skill versus size and grit, because Weise is really fast and speedy. I think they see Weise as a Jordan Nolan type, and badly needed size on the right wing. He could be a valuable forechecker and crease guy for the bottom six.

I'm not a fan of the deal. I think Diaz has a significant future in the league, while we got a marginal 4th liner in return. The things being said about Diaz now are the same as were said about Streit before we let him go. Like Trizzak said, Diaz is a valuable type of player, much moreso than Weise.

This seems like a move that Kevin Lowe would make.

And Diaz may of been asking for much more $$ to resign? And is more important for Bergevin to figure how to play (or what exactly to do with) 76,79, 81 than 61 wouldn't you say? And also may allow a Moan or Prust to be packaged up without leaving a big hole in lineup, but only Bergevin and crew knows what 'master' plan is.

And especially with Beaulieu playing as well as he has, made Diaz that much more expendable and may also allow a more open slot for Tinordi-Pateryn to fill on 3rd pairing in March.

And exactly what better offers that you are positive Bergevin turned down? I am sure he would turn them down to take a lesser offer eh (a bit illogical and pure fantasy, is my guess)

But 2nd guessing is entertaining to see different points of view I suppose.

I was never a fan of Diaz and am glad to see him go. He is UFA at the end of this year and surely will want an increase in salary which MB doesn't believe falls into his plan moving forward. Rather than let him walk, we got a potentially decent 4th liner, not bad.