Diaz traded to Vancouver for Weise

brobin

the fact that he was a ufa at the end of the season was probably a big factor in the return. Maybe Bourque can showw this guy how to compete and throw your weight around. OHHHH yeah that's not going to happen. Maybe he could show borque.

Del Zotto only got the Rangers a stay at home defenseman with some toughness.

I think Del Zotto has a far greater upside then Diaz.

And to MB's credit, he didn't let the situation play out for months like Sather. He cut his losses when at most Diaz was worth a third round pick.

I have been on the team balance band wagon for a while now, and I just don't see how this trade helped team balance. At the beginning of the year the defense was way out of balance. Too many smallish puck playing defensemen with low physicality. The other imbalance on defense was playing Emelin and Gorges on the right side. To me Gorges should have been the odd man out until a strong right handed #3 could be found. I really believe a Diaz Markov, Subban Emelin top 4 would be more balanced. For that reason, I am not happy with this trade.

And Diaz may of been asking for much more $$ to resign? And is more important for Bergevin to figure how to play (or what exactly to do with) 76,79, 81 than 61 wouldn't you say? And also may allow a Moan or Prust to be packaged up without leaving a big hole in lineup, but only Bergevin and crew knows what 'master' plan is.

And especially with Beaulieu playing as well as he has, made Diaz that much more expendable and may also allow a more open slot for Tinordi-Pateryn to fill on 3rd pairing in March.

And exactly what better offers that you are positive Bergevin turned down? I am sure he would turn them down to take a lesser offer eh (a bit illogical and pure fantasy, is my guess)

But 2nd guessing is entertaining to see different points of view I suppose.

Calling on my vast repetoire of inexperience and ignorance, I find the optimistic tone you set here to be pretty plausible. It may be that this little deal does inch us towards a better team if not representing a full and recognizable stride in that direction. As a good friend said to me the other day, "You have no idea what the hell you're talking about." :blush:

Weise is the type of player we need more of, fast as hell, and will drop the mitts, Diaz is weak physically, and that's the type of player we need less of IMO, Happy to see Diaz go to make room on the roster for one of our young guys.....Weise is a guy that we don't have on the farm to call up for 4th line duties, and an improvement over Parros because of his speed and overall game. We needed an NHL caliber 4th line, and we certainly didn't have it. White, Wiese and Moen is a decent fourth line, and leaves Prust for third line and higher duties. Good trade IMO for a younger player, to address speed, size and physical play without costing much. Diaz was due a raise he was not worth to this team, it's a good minor move, on a D-man that wasn't going to bring much, and wasn't going to be re-signed.

You have to love the stats guys going nuts over this. Fan reactions are funny. All this year I've heard "we have to trade Diaz!" Then a deal is done. "Why did we trade Diaz?!" Followed by choruses of disillusionment.

They live a constant state of negativity, that way they always feel right. When Montreal wins a Cup again you'll hear a lot of, "Well it is just stats" and "I'm just happy they won" after driving a pessimist agenda. It's no healthy way to enjoy sports.

I have Kings and Blackhawks fan friends who obsess on advanced statistics and do nothing but complain. Nobody is ever satisfied.

It wasn't. Bergevin had better offers from Eastern Conference teams.

What were the better offers for Diaz? I would like to know honestly.

The way I'm looking at this trade is Weise is something we need. Are there other thing we need more? Yes. Were any of those things going to be acquired for Diaz? No. While Trizzak may be right that we had better offers from eastern conference teams, were the "better" returns something we were looking for? Or was it another struggling small forward?

We got a 4th liner with size. This looks more like a preemptive trade to work on our bottom 6 to see whats expendable at the top 6 (Briere, Gionta, Eller, Bourque) to package to get the best return that meets our team's needs.

Ummm, previous hand management did seem to make trades, without gauging the entire market. I also yhink the habs tend to be paranoid about trading within the division or conference.

Diaz is nothing like Streit. Diaz can't even hit the net.

Do you guys think MB sent out an email saying we have Diaz available, make some offers. team A offers a 2nd rounder. MB says no thanks, i'm going with Vancouver and Weise?

Weise I'm guessing was the best offer.

I'm not a fan of the deal. I think Diaz has a significant future in the league, while we got a marginal 4th liner in return. The things being said about Diaz now are the same as were said about Streit before we let him go. Like Trizzak said, Diaz is a valuable type of player, much moreso than Weise.

This seems like a move that Kevin Lowe would make.

100% agree

And Diaz may of been asking for much more $$ to resign? And is more important for Bergevin to figure how to play (or what exactly to do with) 76,79, 81 than 61 wouldn't you say? And also may allow a Moan or Prust to be packaged up without leaving a big hole in lineup, but only Bergevin and crew knows what 'master' plan is.

And especially with Beaulieu playing as well as he has, made Diaz that much more expendable and may also allow a more open slot for Tinordi-Pateryn to fill on 3rd pairing in March.

And exactly what better offers that you are positive Bergevin turned down? I am sure he would turn them down to take a lesser offer eh (a bit illogical and pure fantasy, is my guess)

But 2nd guessing is entertaining to see different points of view I suppose.

right now, MB's master plans seems to be stocking up on 4th liners and building through the draft.

Del Zotto only got the Rangers a stay at home defenseman with some toughness.

I think Del Zotto has a far greater upside then Diaz.

THe rangers got a dman who can play 20 minutes. That is significantly better than a minute 4th liner

And to MB's credit, he didn't let the situation play out for months like Sather. He cut his losses when at most Diaz was worth a third round pick.

Diaz should have been playing or traded around 3 weeks ago

I know deep down it's not true, but I really feel like I could be a better GM sometimes.

I know hindsight is 20-20, but still a lot of questionable choices coming from MB these days I find.

Guest Stogey24

Weise has some pretty good numbers in the AHL. 2009-2010 he put up 28 goals in 73 games. 2010-2011 18 goals in 48. He could become a depth scorer.

Why is everyone saying 4th liner? Weise has 12 pts so far this season which is more than Prust, Moen and Bourque and Weise has averaged considerably less TOI then the other 3 habs. If people start saying 3rd liner then it starts to sound a lot better, and Prust, Moen and Bourque have all had 3rd line duty this year and people love to talk about how Prust can play just about anywhere in the lineup.

The more I ve thought about it throughout the day I am happy about the trade. Diaz was not even playing and no one was calling for his insertion into the lineup. Having a strong bottom 6 can go a long way to helping any team. The way I see it we just got another Prust, and Prust needed some help. Furthermore I cant imagine that MB is done dealing. We re going to need that extra forward if say Bourque and whoever else are packaged up in another deal.

Is this the guy we really want on our team? :)

That was a water bottle malfunction and he handled it like a champ!

Edited by sim.on

Why is everyone saying 4th liner? Weise has 12 pts so far this season which is more than Prust, Moen and Bourque and Weise has averaged considerably less TOI then the other 3 habs. If people start saying 3rd liner then it starts to sound a lot better, and Prust, Moen and Bourque have all had 3rd line duty this year and people love to talk about how Prust can play just about anywhere in the lineup.

The more I ve thought about it throughout the day I am happy about the trade. Diaz was not even playing and no one was calling for his insertion into the lineup. Having a strong bottom 6 can go a long way to helping any team. The way I see it we just got another Prust, and Prust needed some help. Furthermore I cant imagine that MB is done dealing. We re going to need that extra forward if say Bourque and whoever else are packaged up in another deal.

The issue is that half of the forwards on this team are fourth liners. The fact that Moen and Prust are playing on the 2nd and 3rd line are proof of that. Moen, Prust, White, Parros, how many 4th line players do we need???

Diaz should have been traded much earlier if he wasn't going to be playing (particularly, when Boulian was getting into the lineup). He should have been packaged to get a better player, or traded for picks.

Weiss is not gonna score for us, don't kid yourself. He is a 4th liner, at best a Moen or Blunden with some footspeed.

I may be overrating Diaz - he seemed to me to have the potential to become a 2nd-tier puck-moving defencemen - but even if I'm not, there are still a couple of red flags to this deal. One, he was dealt out west. Could be a coincidence, but coming on heels of the report that MB was only shopping Bourque outside the Eastern Conference, that's unsettling, suggesting a GM that is erring almost comically on the side of caution (and PR worries) rather than going out and maximizing return for his assets. That Diaz was sitting around for 8 games before being dealt compounds this concern. Were they sitting him "in case of injury?" And dragging down his value in the meantime? More hyper-caution in lieu of asset maximization.

Is Bergevin a cold-eyed SOB who is going to get back maximum value, or is he just another shmoe allowing extraneous considerations to get in the way, like Gauthier (Cammy trade) and Gainey (Ribs, Grabovski) did? It's still too soon to panic, but I'd say we have some cause for concern that the latter is again the case.

I've also updated my cap sheet with the cap effects. (Is anyone getting prompted for a sign-in when they go to click the link? It did once for me but it's not supposed to...)

Did anyone happen to try clicking the cap sheet on the main page to see if it would open? Google changed their settings a couple of weeks back so I need to know whether this can still be accessed publicly or not.

another 4th line plugger for a 7th d-man at best........... I think the winner of this trade is either Nathan Beaulieu or Tinordi, one of those 2 should get a permanent spot on the defence..