Feb. 4, Flames vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

The only player that we can move (i.e. not Subban, Price, Gally's, Maxpac) that is going to bring a real return that can help us immidately is Pleks. Based on what we've seen even when we win (i.e. need a shutout from Price to beat the friggin flames), this roster needs to be revamped. I give Pleks two more years at playing at his level and I can't see this team strong enough to come out of the East within that window. We need to bring in more offensive talent in the same age range as Eller, Gally's and Subban.

Pleks is the only guy who can be part of a package (i.e. add Gorges) to bring us someone like Evander Kane, Kyle Okposo, Ryan O'reilly or Jordan Eberle.

We also need to dump Briere and DD and sign a guy like Stasny as a UFA.

I'm with you on the UFA signing, but isn't it time we stopped listing Eller alongside the Gallys/Sub an? He has one point in fourteen games. Eller is a fine third line center, but with Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Desharnais, he's buried on the depth chart and hasn't delivered on the wing. I wouldn't be surprised if he were moved over the summer.

Eller stopped producing while with the Gallys. He had one strong game where they all scored and otherwise he was the donut on the line in their last games together. That's why it was broken up.

Calgary was probably the first game in a long timewe saw Eller at least look like a dependable third line center, let alone replacing our most complete forward.

I agree with Lovett it might be time to look at Eller as a trade piece to a team that has zero center depth. Somewhere where he can slot in a second line immediately. Flip or package him for a need.

Eller stopped producing while with the Gallys. He had one strong game where they all scored and otherwise he was the donut on the line in their last games together. That's why it was broken up.

Calgary was probably the first game in a long timewe saw Eller at least look like a dependable third line center, let alone replacing our most complete forward.

I agree with Lovett it might be time to look at Eller as a trade piece to a team that has zero center depth. Somewhere where he can slot in a second line immediately. Flip or package him for a need.

But we complain about trading Diaz while he's at low value, wouldn't this apply (maybe more) I Eller right now? I think Eller is neither as good as he was at the beginning of the year, nor as bad as he is now. I think Eller could put up 50 points given the right line mates, and is solid defensively (ignore his +\- as I'm not sure is a good indicator of his defensive ability).

Look at how he played last year. That's what he's capable of. Honestly I think we could get a silverberg, Conacher, Pirri level prospect for him. I don't want to see him go for nothing.

Guest Stogey24

But we complain about trading Diaz while he's at low value, wouldn't this apply (maybe more) I Eller right now? I think Eller is neither as good as he was at the beginning of the year, nor as bad as he is now. I think Eller could put up 50 points given the right line mates, and is solid defensively (ignore his +\- as I'm not sure is a good indicator of his defensive ability).

Look at how he played last year. That's what he's capable of. Honestly I think we could get a silverberg, Conacher, Pirri level prospect for him. I don't want to see him go for nothing.

Conacher? I just laughed out loud.

The Eller situation is depressing. It really looked like he was putting it together, both at the end of last season and the start of this one. Instead he's reverted back to Jan Bulis mode. It's a good point about his value being low, though. I guess I wouldn't give up on him just yet...but it's hard to keep being optimistic.

The good news on Eller's slump is that we can sign him for cheap.

I'm against giving up on him. How long has he looked like crap, 30 games? I remember Pleks being mediocre for half-seasons when he was younger. I still think Eller can turn into a reliable 2nd or 3rd line center. At this stage in his development, being saddled with the festering corpses of Briere and Bourque has hurt him big time.

My optimistic prediction: Eller and Galchenyuk are a wrecking crew together next year, and our scoring depth is finally restored. We're a pretty bad team when we're relying on two second lines instead of three.

Guest Stogey24

The good news on Eller's slump is that we can sign him for cheap.

I'm against giving up on him. How long has he looked like crap, 30 games? I remember Pleks being mediocre for half-seasons when he was younger. I still think Eller can turn into a reliable 2nd or 3rd line center. At this stage in his development, being saddled with the festering corpses of Briere and Bourque has hurt him big time.

My optimistic prediction: Eller and Galchenyuk are a wrecking crew together next year, and our scoring depth is finally restored. We're a pretty bad team when we're relying on two second lines instead of three.

Eller is 24 years old. Its hilarious that people start talking about trading this kid. He's a first round pick with a good shot, good hands, good vision, and lays the body. He's going to find his game.

Silfverberg-Pirri are not same as a Conacher and would need a lot to get either one.

A big young good skating RFA centre, of course Habs just have too many of those, ship him! :huh:

I keep hearing this "right linemates" argument and I'm starting to realize what they really mean is, "If Eller constantly played with players better than him". Basically, people want Eller to get the Desharnais treatment and attached at the hip of a player that makes him look better. Being a center with size it's enticing but the question you should be asking yourself is, is he Kyle Turris? Is he just waiting for everything to come together? "He could put up 50 points" what's it going to take? He stopped scoring with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Gallagher is having a bit of a sophomore slump scoring wise but his play is still one of the best on the team. Galchenyuk was one of our best forwards when he went down. Galchenyuk is a better offensive player now than Eller is (he should be) and still produced with Plekanec and Gionta. Eller produced nothing with them. Who is the right linemates for Eller?

Funny enough, that last question? I want to see Dale Weise on Eller's wing.

I don't believe Eller would be considered selling when low. You're selling on his potential for a team down the middle. No different than when the Kings packaged Simmonds when he had only 30 points compared to 40 the season before.

That all said, I completely agree that Bourque needs to go and nobody should be saddled with him.

I wouldn't say Eller has a good shot. In fact, I'd say he needs to work on it. I wouldn't trade him though. I would pencil him for the 3rd line center position for the next few years, and work on other ways of improving the forward group as a whole. We have a fourth line. And we have pieces of the other three lines. I would keep Gionta for a couple of years. I would move Markov and some of the regular suspects like Bourque, DD, and Briere for the scorer we need. Could be a blue chip prospect who will be ready in 2 years or so.

I keep hearing this "right linemates" argument and I'm starting to realize what they really mean is, "If Eller constantly played with players better than him". Basically, people want Eller to get the Desharnais treatment and attached at the hip of a player that makes him look better. Being a center with size it's enticing but the question you should be asking yourself is, is he Kyle Turris? Is he just waiting for everything to come together? "He could put up 50 points" what's it going to take? He stopped scoring with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Gallagher is having a bit of a sophomore slump scoring wise but his play is still one of the best on the team. Galchenyuk was one of our best forwards when he went down. Galchenyuk is a better offensive player now than Eller is (he should be) and still produced with Plekanec and Gionta. Eller produced nothing with them. Who is the right linemates for Eller?

Funny enough, that last question? I want to see Dale Weise on Eller's wing.

I don't believe Eller would be considered selling when low. You're selling on his potential for a team down the middle. No different than when the Kings packaged Simmonds when he had only 30 points compared to 40 the season before.

That all said, I completely agree that Bourque needs to go and nobody should be saddled with him.

Desharnais gets special treatment, and it sucks, but the fact remains that when he's with Pacioretty he produces. Lars Eller has 98 points in 266 games. David Desharnais has 139 in 232 games. When Desharnais came into the league he produced as a winger, and then he caught fire with Cole and Pacioretty. It's up to Eller to make something happen when he gets an opportunity, and he hasn't done that aside from 30-40 games. Coaches make lines based on who has chemistry together, and i'm hard pressed to think of anyone Eller has had any real chemistry with, aside from the Gally's who have produced with everyone. I don't want to get too negative, but I haven't seen Eller score in many situations aside from odd man rushes, he has zero cycle game, and very little offensive acumen imo. Desharnais gets to play with Pacioretty because the coaches can depend of him producing, and that's not the case with Eller.

Eller is #1 F.O. guy, #1 forward in hits, #1 in blocked shots (but 9th in Habs forwards for PP time).

He is 6'2" 215lbs and 24years old and people want him traded for a prospect? U kidding me? does that make sense after 1,000,000 Smurf-Hobbit snide comments on team forward group?

Hard group to please.

• Upvote 1

A big young good skating RFA centre, of course Habs just have too many of those, ship him! :huh:

This is the same mentality some people have when they suggest trading MaxPac. We are trying to get younger, bigger and faster, so let's trade the guys we have that are like that. Eller is not going anywhere.

Eller is #1 F.O. guy, #1 forward in hits, #1 in blocked shots (but 9th in Habs forwards for PP time).

He is 6'2" 215lbs and 24years old and people want him traded for a prospect? U kidding me? does that make sense after 1,000,000 Smurf-Hobbit snide comments on team forward group?

Hard group to please.

Just in case you're referring to me, I don't want Eller traded. He's actually one of my favorite Habs despite his current slump. I was just saying if he does go, at least get something for him.

And also, I'm not saying I want conacher either, he's just a good prospect so I was using him as an example. He'd essentially be adding another Briere/ gionta.

Trading Eller is just crazy talk..... not much value right now, and his line didn't look all that bad last night. He will come around, he's young. Trade the older, softer, smaller guys not Pax and Eller....

Trading Eller is just crazy talk..... not much value right now, and his line didn't look all that bad last night. He will come around, he's young. Trade the older, softer, smaller guys not Pax and Eller....

Essentially how I'm feeling

What's the alternative? Galchenyuk needs to start learning how to play center, and DD isn't going to get a good enough return to justify trading a 50 point player with a 3.5 million dollar contract. Eller and Markov will get you that Wayne Simmonds type we need, and at some point Les Habs need to start looking like and becoming the team they're supposed to be building towards, instead of the same crap bubble team i've watched since 95.

No to trading Eller unless the retun is very good. As Illwill says He is what we want, size and skill. How about we really work with him to turn him into the best he can be. MT is supposed to be good with young players, I haven't seen any signs of that but if he is, then get the hell to work and help Eller.

I really don't understand where MT got a reputation or how he created the perception that he is really good with young players.

I've also been very dissappointed with MB. Why is it that a loudmouth like Burke can get Vanreimsdyk for a big pylon like Luke Schenn or Gardiner and Lupal for beauchiman.

Why are we always chasing 3rd/4th liners or depth dmen of signing players as UFA's when they are clearly past their best before dates.

No to trading Eller unless the retun is very good. As Illwill says He is what we want, size and skill. How about we really work with him to turn him into the best he can be. MT is supposed to be good with young players, I haven't seen any signs of that but if he is, then get the hell to work and help Eller.

That's precisely why we trade him. He's a guy who's overvalued due to his age and size. 35-40 point third line center.

IMO, Eller needs to be traded ASAP before it is too late. People are saying that he would be traded in a low, completely disagree. Due to his age and a general perspective among hockey people the he will be a good 2nd liner or so, I think we can get more than we should for Eller TODAY. Will Eller be a useful NHLer? Absolutely YES. But the question is: as of now, is he graded above his real value? I think so! For this reason, it would be a great opportunity to get something more valuable than his intrinsic value.

Because we are not contenders, Bergevin should take advantage on this situation. Ship Eller plus someone else and get some real value for the coming years.

That's precisely why we trade him. He's a guy who's overvalued due to his age and size. 35-40 point third line center.

And what do we get back for him? Hopefully it is a young center with size and skill but better....I'm sure the other GM's will jump on that. Why does everyone assume that we can just magically make trades to rip off other teams? And don't forget about that small detail about contracts and the salary cap system. Eller is quite affordable for what he brings.

And what do we get back for him? Hopefully it is a young center with size and skill but better....I'm sure the other GM's will jump on that. Why does everyone assume that we can just magically make trades to rip off other teams? And don't forget about that small detail about contracts and the salary cap system. Eller is quite affordable for what he brings.

We don't need another center. We need a top six winger with tenacity. Next season without Eller we would still have Plekanec, Desharnais and possibly Galchenyuk while Briere can also play down the middle.

We don't need another center. We need a top six winger with tenacity. Next season without Eller we would still have Plekanec, Desharnais and possibly Galchenyuk while Briere can also play down the middle.

If you are OK with 14-51-48 as 3 of 4 centres, then yes, i can see why you would be OK with Eller going for Kane or the like in a winger.

But, you also cant come back later and say forward group is too small and need to trade for or draft a big centre anytime in near future, or even a centre who is 50%+ on faceoffs. And you do realize that the Habs aint got an abundance of big centres in the system neither.