Canada vs. Sweden Gold medal Game

sim.on

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a terrific game. What a terrific team.

I was nervous at the start with the Swedish game plan as I dimly (mis?)understood it, but so impressed with the tenacious agressive domination of this team.

God bless'em all.

Gooooooold!

And Carey Price ladies and gentlemen. Wow. What a tournament by him.

Amen brother, amen. I may be totally out to lunch on this , but I think his new goaltending coach has made the decisive and finishing difference in his self confidence.

Canada was in in a class of its own. No other team could ice such a strong field of defensemen. Imagine Subban was not playing!

Price has elevated his play to a very high level. He was rock solid all along. What an inspiration for his team to show such calm and composure. His performance will be remembered as one of the best in history. I am very glad for this young man who had it tough in his career in Montreal.

Wow! They banned Backstrom for taking Claritin before the game. This isn't sour grapes coming from an American, but that's the cherry on top. That was the least competitive, (due to Canada) and least entertaining Olympics since the NHL players started playing. I'm severely disappointed in the quality of hockey in the last two weeks.

Wow! They banned Backstrom for taking Claritin before the game. This isn't sour grapes coming from an American, but that's the cherry on top. That was the least competitive, (due to Canada) and least entertaining Olympics since the NHL players started playing. I'm severely disappointed in the quality of hockey in the last two weeks.

Backstrom would not have make much of a difference. Let's face it, Canada was too strong. As for the quality of play, I think that it was as high as I have ever seen in 50 years of watching hockey. In fact, to tell you the truth, I don't remember having seen our national sport played at such relentless pace. It was unbelievable.

Backstrom would not have make much of a difference. Let's face it, Canada was too strong. As for the quality of play, I think that it was as high as I have ever seen in 50 years of watching hockey. In fact, to tell you the truth, I don't remember having seen our national sport played at such relentless pace. It was unbelievable.

You're right about Backstrom, but wrong about the quality of play. NJ Devils fans will swear up and down the river that they're entertaining, due to winning the Cup, and that's going to be the opinion of Canadians. The rest of the loser countries were treated to a dog's breakfast of perimeter play and the neutral zone trap.

Guest Stogey24

The back checking was unbelievable

You're right about Backstrom, but wrong about the quality of play. NJ Devils fans will swear up and down the river that they're entertaining, due to winning the Cup, and that's going to be the opinion of Canadians. The rest of the loser countries were treated to a dog's breakfast of perimeter play and the neutral zone trap.

Sorry to say that my friend, but you are quite alone in your camp. The quality of play was mind boggling.

Did you think Olympic hockey was boring when the US was racking up goals, Lovett, or was it only after they got shut out in the medal rounds?

I personally think that that semifinal between the US and Canada was one of the best if not the very best hockey game I've ever watched. I don't buy the US saying they played poorly - they were outclassed, yes, but they created pretty many good chances for a team that was largely pinned in their own zone. They were a great team that narrowly lost to a juggernaut.

I know what you're saying about perimeter play/ trap, but Canada dominated possession all tournament. The quality of Canada's play was phenomenol. As a Canadian, it was insanely entertaining to watch our team literally hold possession for minutes at a time in some instances.

That being said, I can see how someone who isn't Canadian would tire of watching them cycle the puck for a minute. But that was the game plan, and they excuted it almost flawlessly. They got better as the competition got tougher.

Did you think Olympic hockey was boring when the US was racking up goals, Lovett, or was it only after they got shut out in the medal rounds?

I personally think that that semifinal between the US and Canada was one of the best if not the very best hockey game I've ever watched. I don't buy the US saying they played poorly - they were outclassed, yes, but they created pretty many good chances for a team that was largely pinned in their own zone. They were a great team that narrowly lost to a juggernaut.

I actually did. The first 30 minutes of USA-Russia were insufferable. USA-Canada, I only got to watch the last twenty minutes from my office CPU, and they were just ok. Canada-Finland, believe it or not, I actually missed the third period to assemble a bbq grill. And I haven't turned off a Habs game all year, or left a Florida Panthers game before the final buzzer rang. I'm not going to discuss the organized narcolepsy that passed for a preliminary round.

Guest Stogey24

I actually did. The first 30 minutes of USA-Russia were insufferable. USA-Canada, I only got to watch the last twenty minutes from my office CPU, and they were just ok. Canada-Finland, believe it or not, I actually missed the third period to assemble a bbq grill. And I haven't turned off a Habs game all year, or left a Florida Panthers game before the final buzzer rang. I'm not going to discuss the organized narcolepsy that passed for a preliminary round.

MERICA'

Respecting those who've been watching Hockey for many years, IMO this Olympic team was one of the most dominant groups in team sports' history. Coming from a totally different background, my views might have a vanishingly small value. But I must say this team is up there with the Basketball Dream Team in the Summer Olympics in 92 and the Brazilian national soccer team of 1958 and 1970. And I am not comparing on how skilled Team Canada was - I'm pretty confident Canada assembled many highly, comparable skilled groups before. But, oh boy, how they dominated the competition... It was just complete , crunching domination, all the time. As a group, they played as good as a group could do. I've always felt kinda sad because I didn't see these great squads play in loco. But finally I got to see one of the great ones live.

I agree that this was an extraordinary team. I have never seen a team so dominant against such elite competition.

To those who say these games were boring, I say that they were hockey games for connoisseurs - just as Sidney Crosby is a hockey player for connoisseurs, not those looking for flash and dash. The entertainment lay in seeing devastatingly perfect hockey being executed by the winning team.

SOOOO happy for Carey Price. Not only did he deliver in the big games, he put on a clinic of masterful, controlled goaltending. This was exactly what I was hoping for - that Price emerge from the tournament as a gold medal champion and with the full mantle of greatness that was always his to claim. He was already a leader in the Habs' room - imagine the aura he will now command both with his teammates and with his opponents. Awesome. :thumbs_up: