Habs acquire Devan Dubnyk

dlbalr

At 6' 6" tall lets convert him to a defenceman. Talk about getting bigger. We have a hell of a lot of depth on this team, so yeah gonna be hard to crack the lineup.

I wonder if Carey is worried about his starting position now that Dubnyk is here. :rofl:

Dubnyuk is cheap insurance and depth, almost free..... good move!

How is Dubnyk insurance against anything, it's more assurance for losing.

Actually I am thinking this trade ain't so bad. He will cost us nothing reatively speaking. He will not be called up. He will stay in hamilton for the rest of the year. At the end of the year he is ufa. I don't believe he even counts against our cap space. So what the heck. If he is no good in the ahl send him to the echl. Or let him eat hot dogs in the bleachers.

This year aside, he has been a competent goalie for a few years now. Not a great starter, but still an NHL goalie. That's more that can be said for Mayer and even Tokarski (who admittedly hasn't had much of a chance yet).

This year aside, he has been a competent goalie for a few years now. Not a great starter, but still an NHL goalie. That's more that can be said for Mayer and even Tokarski (who admittedly hasn't had much of a chance yet).

Am I coreect Brian that if he stays in Hamilton his salary won't count against the cap?

Am I coreect Brian that if he stays in Hamilton his salary won't count against the cap?

Yes. He just falls below the $925,000 threshold (the Habs are paying 1/4 of his full-season salary, or a pro-rated $875k).

I hope this move means that they are going to get rid of Mayer.

If only we could be so lucky. I doubt it though, they won't send him to the ECHL. If Tokarski gets sent down, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dubnyk loaned to another team with the Habs/Bulldogs retaining recall rights.

Eh.... Just insurance for goaltending depth that we never had for a while, on the cheap. That's all I meant, no harm in this deal...

Eh.... Just insurance for goaltending depth that we never had for a while, on the cheap. That's all I meant, no harm in this deal...

Yup, not sure why anyone takes any issue with deal?

But, cant please everyone.

I think the negativity around the Weaver and Dubnyk deals didn't have anything to do with the actual deals, but rather with disappointment at such minor tinkering. If Vanek had come first, there wouldn't have been anywhere near the same level of moaning about these perfectly sensible, low-cost acquisitions.

I think the negativity around the Weaver and Dubnyk deals didn't have anything to do with the actual deals, but rather with disappointment at such minor tinkering. If Vanek had come first, there wouldn't have been anywhere near the same level of moaning about these perfectly sensible, low-cost acquisitions.

Sounds like the draft. Had de la Rose been drafted first, then Fucale, then McCarron, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much whining over three picks separated by only 11 spots.

Yeah it really did look like MB was playing at the discount bargain bin one more time. Course it worked cause he got Vanek for sweet tweet, as far as I am concerned. I don't know if he can keep picking up these bargain basement deals but you can't argue with success.

I believe call ups are limited at this point. Tokarski might stay up once Price is healthy for that reason. Pateryn, Beaulieu and Leblanc should get call ups.

Each team gets 4 non-emergency recalls. There's no need to carry Tokarski with the big club when Price gets back; if he or Budaj get hurt, they can recall a goalie on an emergency basis and not count against the 4.

There's a reason why he was cheap and both Edmonton and Nashville were willing to pick up his salary