Next Year: Who Goes, Who Stays?

I don't Care what MB does next year as long as I see Kevin Bieksa in a Habs jersey next year. I have been preaching all year about team balance. I want it. I want Bieksa. If Vancouver misses the playoffs, it may cost a bit, but I think he could be had. Not for spare parts, but a roster player and a good prospect.

Even if it's not Bieksa, I could see MB shopping either Beaulieu or Tinordi during the off season. Two projected top 4 left handed defensemen who should be in the line up over the next two years. Beaulieu and Gorges for Bieksa ??? Dreaming I suppose. Dd and Tinordi??? A little too expensive.

Emelin Subban

Bieksa Markov

Gorges Tinordi

Weaver

Pacthes Briere Gallagher

Vanek Galchenyuk Ufa

Bourque Plek Moen ( sorry guys. Borque isn't going anywhere. Uber shutdown line here. Borque is good defensively)

Weisse White Prust

Without crunching too many numbers, I think that lineup would be over the cap before even factoring in the Habs' reduced cap for next season (bonus cushion this year). That defence corps alone is approaching $30 million.

Agreed Galchenyuk needs to be a center from camp on out next season, and given cherry picker offensive zone starts, I think he needs more ice time this season too.... more time, more confidence for him....

I like Bieksa, but thereos no way I'd move Beaulieu for him

Gorges, I think we should move

I don't Care what MB does next year as long as I see Kevin Bieksa in a Habs jersey next year. I have been preaching all year about team balance. I want it. I want Bieksa. If Vancouver misses the playoffs, it may cost a bit, but I think he could be had. Not for spare parts, but a roster player and a good prospect.

Even if it's not Bieksa, I could see MB shopping either Beaulieu or Tinordi during the off season. Two projected top 4 left handed defensemen who should be in the line up over the next two years. Beaulieu and Gorges for Bieksa ??? Dreaming I suppose. Dd and Tinordi??? A little too expensive.

Emelin Subban

Bieksa Markov

Gorges Tinordi

Weaver

Pacthes Briere Gallagher

Vanek Galchenyuk Ufa

Bourque Plek Moen ( sorry guys. Borque isn't going anywhere. Uber shutdown line here. Borque is good defensively)

Weisse White Prust

Without crunching too many numbers, I think that lineup would be over the cap before even factoring in the Habs' reduced cap for next season (bonus cushion this year). That defence corps alone is approaching $30 million.

Do we have a buyout left or was there only two available last year? Bourque and Briere are a lot of cap, and not much return, it would be nice to dump that 7.33 mil....

Nope used them on Kaberle and gomez

Do we have a buyout left or was there only two available last year? Bourque and Briere are a lot of cap, and not much return, it would be nice to dump that 7.33 mil....

As hab29 noted, there's no compliance buyouts left having used them already. Regular buyouts are an option though although I don't see them using one on Briere. That wouldn't clear the salary entirely but it would open up a bit of space.

Great disucssion boys!

I'd really like to see Markov, Subban and Vanek resigned with long term contracts (a little shorter for Markov)

Bye Bye Gio, Murray, Bouillon, Parros. Thanks for your services but they are no longer required by the Habs. It would also be nice if MB could find a way to get rid of Bourque. I don't care what we get in return for this loser, just get him off this team!

I also want to see Galchenyuk moved to his natural position at center and I would LOVE to see him play with Vanek (assuming we can get Vanek to stay in Mtl). I also want to see Chucky play more minutes per game. An average of 18-19 minutes per game would be nice.

I don't think we should give up on Eller so soon. The Kid had a great start to the season, and then the Habs split up his line to get the DD-Patches line going. Give him a chance with some skilled players and see what he's made of!

Lastly, I think Tinordi will finish the season in Montreal (thanks to the Gorges injury) and will be here next year to start the season. Then all we have left to do, is bring Beaulieu up slowly over the course of Next season!

I think it's because he has regressed in Hamilton...as many others have under Lefebvre. He's still worth a QO though.

Both he and Dumont are 23 and almost equal offensive rate, so if I had to resign either, Dumont is easy choice, as he actually wins puck battles and not afraid to step up for teammates.

Oh well, Timmins-Gainey made local fans happy in 2009, but cant hit on all picks.

Both he and Dumont are 23 and almost equal offensive rate, so if I had to resign either, Dumont is easy choice, as he actually wins puck battles and not afraid to step up for teammates.

Dumont's already signed for next year, they can have both. Leblanc wouldn't take up a veteran spot either in Hamilton so there's definitely room to keep both around.

Dumont's already signed for next year, they can have both. Leblanc wouldn't take up a veteran spot either in Hamilton so there's definitely room to keep both around.

Sorry Brian, poor wording, "If I had to choose which to resign, if both needed resigning..."

And as you say LL will likely be resigned, or flipped for similar busting 1st rounder of another organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on Marc Bergevin's interview just now on Chris Nilan's radio show, Brian Gionta will be resigned. He didn't come right and and say it, but he loves what his captain brings to the table.

Based on Marc Bergevin's interview just now on Chris Nilan's radio show, Brian Gionta will be resigned. He didn't come right and and say it, but he loves what his captain brings to the table.

I think everyone is fine with third line Brian Gionta. It's top six Brian Gionta where we sigh and wish for better.

I think everyone is fine with third line Brian Gionta. It's top six Brian Gionta where we sigh and wish for better.

ok as long as that 3rd line gionta ins't 5-6 million per year. 2.5 to 3.0 tops

Not me, too many midgets.

No reason to resign Gionta at a discount. Spend money on a legit power forward and a top 4 RH D man if any ufa's fit that bill.

Legit power forwards on free agency are poisonous anchors:

David Clarkson: 7 years, $5M per, contract protected from buyouts due to signing bonuses, 10 points in 52 games

Ryane Clowe: 5 years, $4.85M per, no movement clause, 22 points in 40 games (he was gonna sign in Montreal for three years until Lou offered him that)

Nathan Horton: 7 years, $5.3M per, 16 points in 32 games, 1 goal in 22 games, 3 assists in 10

This year you're stuck with Dustin Penner and Steve Downie, neither which would be good for the Habs (I hate Downie).

Plekanec, DD, Patches, Gallagher and Galchenyuk are all legit top six guys. Sign Vanek or a guy on his level and there's no need to add the size. Have Eller, Moen, Prust, Briere, Gionta and a sixth forward for the bottom six. You're set.

• Upvote 1

I like Gionta a lot, and would be fine with him back on the team. He's an effective third liner and a good captain. On the other hand, I'd be fine if we let him walk and gave his spot to cheaper young players like Bournival. What I'm definitely not fine with is making him a priority. The number one job on Bergevin's plate this off-season is Subban's contract, then seeing about Vanek (who is almost sure to test the UFA waters), then trying to get either a top-6 forward to replace him or a good defenseman to bolster our back line. Gionta, as a depth forward, should only fit in once all the other pieces are in place.

Matt Moulson, Paranteau, Stastny, Michalek, D Roy, uggg..Jagr, Callahan, Ott etc etc

lots of fine options, Vanek aint one, he is looking to cash in big time and will be multiple bidders.

Gionta back for another year, is no surprise and fine by me (I can easily see him get 2 year deal).

Guest Stogey24

I'm hoping this isn't the beginning of Prust becoming a band-aid. He could turn into a guy I would move if he can't get that shoulder right. Never thought I'd say that...

Vanek signing with the habs is a pipe dream. He wants 7 years @ $7M/year. Plus his wife is from Minnesota. Not gonna happen.

Habs will be busy signing Subban for 8 years @ $8M/year so I really don't see them opening the bank for both Subban and Vanek. I could see MB making a trade involving Bourque, Eller and Moen to get a top 6 forward. And yes, he will re-sign Gionta. I think it's a foregone conclusion the Habs will continue to be 'Get Shorty' next season (Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais, Briere).

Vanek signing with the habs is a pipe dream. He wants 7 years @ $7M/year. Plus his wife is from Minnesota. Not gonna happen.

Habs will be busy signing Subban for 8 years @ $8M/year so I really don't see them opening the bank for both Subban and Vanek. I could see MB making a trade involving Bourque, Eller and Moen to get a top 6 forward. And yes, he will re-sign Gionta. I think it's a foregone conclusion the Habs will continue to be 'Get Shorty' next season (Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais, Briere).

Hobbit-smurfs are winning, so if exact same lineup comes back next year, could do worse (high scoring Leafs and the other 20 teams beneath the Habs come to mind)

I have to admit that it wasn't that long ago I said Gionta need to go at the trade deadline, but I must admit he has played really well of late. I still think if we can move him in the off season, it is time. Unless he signs for 2.5 million in which case ok keep him but at 5-6 million no way jose is my thought. Pick up a draft picks or a young prospect and move on. We won't get much for him cause we would trading a ufa (negotiating rights). We need to look to the future.

Habs Rule, I concur 100% with everything you said, I like Gionta and his game too, but still want to change the size culture a bit, and we are stuck with Briere.... but it's sounds like Bergevin wants to resign him, but really what else is he going to say or imply this time of year, about the team captain. We will see in the off season I guess.