Game 3, Lightning vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

I'm too old to be biting my nails!!!!!

I cut my nails way back before the playoffs started.

Whew! I knew the league's top shot blocking defence would prevail in the last few mins.

Work start in six hours, need to get some sleep.

That Subban assist in the second should be enough to sleep well.

Sleep well my friend.

We definitely got lucky this game, but we gotta take it and try to close the series out on Tuesday. Keep playing hard and together and building Carey's playoff confidence.

That Subban assist was a thing of beauty and should be mounted in the Louvre.

So is le coach a genius or what?

Ya know.. without knowing anything about coaching.... it's pretty hard to resist the implication that we're seeing simply excellent coaching.. and our GM don't smell so bad either....

...Goodbye!!!

Ya Baby!

i was at the game, directly behind Habs penalty box. You could probably see my beer on tv. Attending a game in this city is something I wish you could all experience, especially during the playoffs. When Ginette Reno sang the anthem, i really couldn't say if she did a proper job, i could barely hear her. That's how loud we were singing it with her. i don't have much to say about the game. Aside from Stamkos, Tampa doesn't have much. The woman I brought to the game giggled at how small Gionta and Desharnais are. They actually seem smaller live, but they're both a treat to watch. I laugh at Leaf fan even more now, the one's who don't like the Ole chant. You get caught up in the atmosphere. you can't help yourself. I expect round 2 to be much tougher, if we make it. Tampa sure could use Martin St. Louis.

Great game. Tampa was full value. But PK Subban is a SUPERSTAR. And Price is clearly locked in. (My favourite Price moment was him leisurely skating to the bench to "fix" his equipment when his gassed teammates needed a time out :halm:I love the fact that the crowd applauded this patently fraudulent act; what a classic Montreal hockey moment).

We were definitely lucky on that bizarre no-goal call, but the Habs have had more than their share of horrendous luck this past decade, in every imaginable way, so I'll happily take the breaks, thanks.

I want to give some props to Gorges, who has quietly been a real defensive force in this series so far, and Emelin, who has gotten better every game. My only gripe about our blueline is the Weaver-Bouillon pairing, which has reliably been the one on the ice whenever we get into trouble in our end IMHO. I guess that's the nature of a 3rd pairing, but I still wish we had managed a bit of an upgrade there; and I suspect others will feel the same before these playoffs are over.

Winning Game One was just gigantic for this team. It allowed a number of our key players - PK, Price, and Emelin in particular - to find their comfort zone and start playing their game. Had we lost that one, it's quite possible all these players would have kept "pressing" and that the disaster would have snowballed from there. What we're seeing instead is something that we haven't seen in Montreal for years: a team of young-yet-mature players who have substantial playoff experience under their belts and are showing every sign of knowing how to win.

Now polish off these f**kers, and let's get ready for Round Two!!!! :habslogo:

Things to credit Therrien:

- Line matchup. Playing Bourque on opening faceoff caught Tampa completely by surprise. Killorn/Filppula/Callhan were completely caught off guard. He still didn't overplay Bourque at 14:58 and instead leaned on the top two lines against Tampa leaning on two lines.

- Subban. Subban played nearly eight minutes of PP along with another 21 minutes of even strength ice time. He unleashed the Subban and the team was credited with it. No sense reigning him in this game. Subban has been our best not goalie in the past two games along with Bourque and Plekanec.

- Why did Therrien lean so much on Plek and DD? Faceoffs. The team only lost the dot battle 34-32.

Great game. Also the ref got the rule perfectly on the disallowed goal. I won't say Price didn't amplify the call a bit by being a slippery fish but it's clear that Carey Price knows the rulebook. Fraser even said on Twitter that no goalie knows the rulebook better than Price and Price will make sure calls are enforced because of it. I like that. You can hate the rule (if contact by an attacking player is made to a goalie when trying to establish position in the crease, with impairment to the goalie in any way, goal is disallowed. The call that Tampa fans should be hollering about is Stamkos called offside. He was onside. We should have saw Stamkos vs. Price one on one there.

Montreal is winning through pure depth. I love it. This is an exciting Habs team.

Well, I'm pleased to hear referees like Maclean and Fraser defending that call. It blunts the "Habs got lucky" argument that self-proclaimed "experts" have used pretty much every time the Habs have had success since 1980. However, the whole idea that the refs called it "by the book," and therefore the call was correct, is dubious. NHL referees hardly ever call anything by the book. Instead, they use a bizarrely "contextual" approach to enforcement, where a call is made - or not made - on the basis of the degree of flagrancy of the offence, specific game situations, and personal judgements about the individuals involved.

Now, I have long maintained that this preferred approach is arbitrary and stupid and that they should indeed go by the book. But for refs to suddenly discard their standard operating procedure in order to disallow a goal in a playoff game is ridiculous. You can't throw "the book" away 99% of the time and then hide behind it when it suits you.

Well, I'm pleased to hear referees like Maclean and Fraser defending that call. It blunts the "Habs got lucky" argument that self-proclaimed "experts" have used pretty much every time the Habs have had success since 1980. However, the whole idea that the refs called it "by the book," and therefore the call was correct, is dubious. NHL referees hardly ever call anything by the book. Instead, they use a bizarrely "contextual" approach to enforcement, where a call is made - or not made - on the basis of the degree of flagrancy of the offence, specific game situations, and personal judgements about the individuals involved.

Now, I have long maintained that this preferred approach is arbitrary and stupid and that they should indeed go by the book. But for refs to suddenly discard their standard operating procedure in order to disallow a goal in a playoff game is ridiculous. You can't throw "the book" away 99% of the time and then hide behind it when it suits you.

Criticize them for when they don't do their job, not for when they finally do.