Round Two: Bruins or Wings (Bruins)

Neech

Boy, if we beat the Bruins - especially if we manage to come away without really major injuries - you have to think we're legit Cup contenders. Now in a certain sense, every semi-finalist is a Cup contender; but I mean on the deeper level of being a club that really can beat anyone in a 7-game series. Boston is the archetype of the sort of team the Habs are not supposed to be able to defeat. And looking at the wars going on in the west, you have to think that whoever comes out of that conference will be so battered that they will be legitimately beatable.

Am I getting waaay ahead of myself? Hell yes. But hey, the playoffs are dream time ;)

• Upvote 1

Don't fantasy and "fan" share the same core aspiration? If now ain't dream time then no time is dream time.

And we have whupped these Bostonian troglodites regular like ad infinitum..... so why the hell not!

If not us, who?

If not now, when?

Dreamons nous!!!

Boy, if we beat the Bruins - especially if we manage to come away without really major injuries - you have to think we're legit Cup contenders. Now in a certain sense, every semi-finalist is a Cup contender; but I mean on the deeper level of being a club that really can beat anyone in a 7-game series. Boston is the archetype of the sort of team the Habs are not supposed to be able to defeat. And looking at the wars going on in the west, you have to think that whoever comes out of that conference will be so battered that they will be legitimately beatable.

Am I getting waaay ahead of myself? Hell yes. But hey, the playoffs are dream time ;)

I'm of the belief that since we are now among the top 8 in the league, we already are legit contenders. We didn't fluke our way to this position by any means. A tough task is ahead against the President's trophy winners and I don't think that losing to them would take away anything that has been accomplished thus far or moving forward.

I'm of the belief that since we are now among the top 8 in the league, we already are legit contenders. We didn't fluke our way to this position by any means. A tough task is ahead against the President's trophy winners and I don't think that losing to them would take away anything that has been accomplished thus far or moving forward.

While I agree, beating Boston would go a long way toward shutting up all the stupid Make-be-Leaf fans i live around. "Tampa is a lousy team, especially without Bishop." "Montreal's not that good. They're going to get crushed against a real team like Boston." "Montreal only won because of the refs. Biased league wants to keep a Canadian team in the playoffs longer!" (That one amazes me, because the rest of the year they're complaining about the league hates Canada and doesn't want Canadian teams to succeed because it's bad for US ratings.)

The deeper we go in the playoffs, the more idiotic they sound. (Of course, it never ends. If we beat Boston and whoever gets out of the second round in the other division, the comments will be, "The Eastern conference is so weak. All the real talented teams are in the west." So I guess the habs just have to win #25. Then I'll be happy.)

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)

While I agree, beating Boston would go a long way toward shutting up all the stupid Make-be-Leaf fans i live around. "Tampa is a lousy team, especially without Bishop." "Montreal's not that good. They're going to get crushed against a real team like Boston." "Montreal only won because of the refs. Biased league wants to keep a Canadian team in the playoffs longer!" (That one amazes me, because the rest of the year they're complaining about the league hates Canada and doesn't want Canadian teams to succeed because it's bad for US ratings.)

The deeper we go in the playoffs, the more idiotic they sound. (Of course, it never ends. If we beat Boston and whoever gets out of the second round in the other division, the comments will be, "The Eastern conference is so weak. All the real talented teams are in the west." So I guess the habs just have to win #25. Then I'll be happy.)

Detroit isn't giving us any help. I'd like to see Detroit win today, but I don't think it's going to happen. A six or seven game series against a thumping team like CBJ would prime us for success.

Though, to be fair, B's fan probably think the same thing. No injuries, one overtime game, and they had the same lineup in all four games. Tampa Bay was the perfect playoff lay down.

I really don't give a shit what the delusional Leafs fans, or any other team's fans think, or the pundits opinions are, it just doesn't matter. We have came through round one unscathed, and have an opportunity to go further, no matter if it's through Boston or not, there is the opportunity. We all know how consistent the Habs are, a good mix of young players, and veterans, and the depth to rival anyone, if not having the best depth left of all the teams in the playoffs.

I realize the Bruins are possibly the best team in the league over the course of the regular season, but that means nothing when you are playing a 7 game series, it's all about match ups, and Montreal is not an ideal match up for Boston. It may be a long and grueling series, and ultimately cost us the depth we need to go further even if we do advance, but it may not, and all we can do is seize this opportunity to get it done. There is no doubt that the Habs are ready and willing to compete with the Bruins, and have the confidence that they can indeed win, and that's all that matters right now.... with a loss of the series to the Bruins, the Habs have still had a great season, and all Hab fans should not only be proud, but excited for the overall outlook for the franchise under this management.

Price and balanced attack will be the difference if we are to get past the Bruins....

Yep, no help from Detroit.

The Red Wings are a bunch of zeroes.

Its almost like they went against their gut instincts, and what other teams do to have a chance against BOS.

They have all the wrong cards:

*No quick ups out of the zone. I've seen them pass the puck between defensemen two and three times before entering the neutral zone. Boston slides right into the trap, which brings me to my next issue with their play.

*No dump and chase. They pass two times before getting out of the zone, then stick handle right into the trap. To play against Boston, you must get BEHIND their defense.

*Nothing from the point. Easy to collapse down low.

*No grit. Nothing around the boards. No balls. Euros and college kids. The Mystique is over.

FORK! Are we in for the mother of all series. Man all battle stations! This is going to be a wild ride. Dig Parros out of the mothballs we may need him. Does Nilan still wanna play? Get him some skates. :)

Thanks for Nothing Detroit!

Looking forward to this series, I just hope we don't get swept!!! If we can stick to our gameplan, and not play like idiots, I seriously think we can Beat the Pooh Bears!

Thanks for Nothing Detroit!

Looking forward to this series, I just hope we don't get swept!!! If we can stick to our gameplan, and not play like idiots, I seriously think we can Beat the Pooh Bears!

Beat em? Hell we'll moider da bums. (I hope)

Guys, you don't know how it works. Whenever the Habs have enjoyed success over the past 35 years -ever since the dynasty era - it's always been discounted by various experts and commentators. Like I pointed out in another thread, in '86 we were the "worst team ever to win the Cup" - until 1993, that is, when we were "the worst team ever to win the Cup" AGAIN. In 2010, we were a garbage team riding 100% on Halak's coat-tails. Now in 2014, it's the refs plus an injured Bishop. I don't know what it is, but there is a bizarre need to denigrate whatever the Habs accomplish, and it won't stop any time soon. It won't even stop if we win the Cup; then it'll be all about how Price carried us single-handedly on his back, whatever. Get used to it.

As for the Prunes, I say bring 'em on. The sooner we beat a "physical" team the sooner we can flip all these "experts" the bird. GO HABS GO!!!

Win and you're in.

That's all that matters.

You think Hurricanes fans care that Saku got hurt? Nope. Just win.

Let them talk. Let them whine. Let them doubt.

We could blank the Bruins 4-0 and we will still hear excuses so why bother responding?

Win and you're in. Just win. That's all that matters.

So what do we think? I would say, from 2010-this year, I would give the series to the Bruins. This year, I think the Habs are going to beat Boston. I think we have better players in the press box than they have on their fourth line or 3rd pairing, and our defense and goal tending have been stellar.

Hopefully the players, like the fans and talking heads, forget that we don't have Scott Gomez and Roman Hamrlik as key players anymore.

This is big. A win against Bosto makes MTL bonafide contenders. A loss raises questions about coaching and depth, as we hope for guys like Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Beaulieu to arrive, if not McCarron and De La Rose

So what do we think? I would say, from 2010-this year, I would give the series to the Bruins. This year, I think the Habs are going to beat Boston. I think we have better players in the press box than they have on their fourth line or 3rd pairing, and our defense and goal tending have been stellar.

Hopefully the players, like the fans and talking heads, forget that we don't have Scott Gomez and Roman Hamrlik as key players anymore.

This is big. A win against Bosto makes MTL bonafide contenders. A loss raises questions about coaching and depth, as we hope for guys like Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Beaulieu to arrive, if not McCarron and De La Rose

I think that the 2011 Cup champ Bruins team is better than this year's version, despite winning the regular season. I also think that this year's Habs team is better than the 2011 team that took the Bruins to game 7 in overtime. By my debatable logic, Habs will win this series.

This is going to be a hell of a series, if guys like Eller and Bourque continue to play well then we have a really good chance. if we go back to being a one line team with some grit in the bottom half we lose. plus all our D have to stay healthy which is not a given

The rational observer has to favour the Bruins in this series. They are an absolutely elite team, one of a handful of authentic contenders.

The two X-factors are these. First, and obviously, the Habs have a history of giving the Bruins problems, and this generation of Habs is no different - we clearly get in these Bruins' heads. That doesn't mean we'll beat them, but it does mean that we play them very, very tough, and they know it.

Second, the Vanek factor. All those "experts" who discount the Habs are, IMHO, assuming that the Habs right now are the team they saw most of the season. But that team had a glaring weakness all year, namely the lack of a big, scoring winger other than Patches; and the addition of Vanek spectacularly addresses this weakness. Our only remaining weakness is a lack of quality depth on D (and even there, assuming no injuries in the top-4, we get by just fine). So it may be that a healthy Habs' team is in fact an elite team, and nobody has realized it yet.

If so, a very big surprise may be in the offing. :habslogo: We'll soon see!

The rational observer has to favour the Bruins in this series. They are an absolutely elite team, one of a handful of authentic contenders.

The two X-factors are these. First, and obviously, the Habs have a history of giving the Bruins problems, and this generation of Habs is no different - we clearly get in these Bruins' heads. That doesn't mean we'll beat them, but it does mean that we play them very, very tough, and they know it.

Second, the Vanek factor. All those "experts" who discount the Habs are, IMHO, assuming that the Habs right now are the team they saw most of the season. But that team had a glaring weakness all year, namely the lack of a big, scoring winger other than Patches; and the addition of Vanek spectacularly addresses this weakness. Our only remaining weakness is a lack of quality depth on D (and even there, assuming no injuries in the top-4, we get by just fine). So it may be that a healthy Habs' team is in fact an elite team, and nobody has realized it yet.

If so, a very big surprise may be in the offing. :habslogo: We'll soon see!

Well, why not? Are these players "difference makers?.

-Kevan Miller

-Matt Bartkowski

-Justin Florek

-Shawn Thornton

-Jordan Caron

-Gregory Campbell

-Reilly "ten goals in one month, five goals in six months" Smith

-Torrey Krug (even strength)

Eight weak links. I don't want to get into intangibles, but the Bruins scored 14 goals in five games, and six of them were on the power play. They might get three on the Habs, and that lowers them to 2.2 goals a game, with two games versus Gustavsson.

The Bruins fans are counting on a big contribution from Carl Soderbergh, that's where their offense is at.

Rationalize it however you want, but these guys got 117 points this season - 17 (!) more than we did. That is a powerful prima facie argument that they are a better team than us. But has Vanek shifted the equation, and is our team perhaps more balanced, such that we can handle 'em over seven games? Proof will in the pudding.

Well, why not? Are these players "difference makers?.

-Kevan Miller

-Matt Bartkowski

-Justin Florek

-Shawn Thornton

-Jordan Caron

-Gregory Campbell

-Reilly "ten goals in one month, five goals in six months" Smith

-Torrey Krug (even strength)

Eight weak links. I don't want to get into intangibles, but the Bruins scored 14 goals in five games, and six of them were on the power play. They might get three on the Habs, and that lowers them to 2.2 goals a game, with two games versus Gustavsson.

The Bruins fans are counting on a big contribution from Carl Soderbergh, that's where their offense is at.

Greg Campbell is allways a differencemaker thanks to his fathers position in the league. Damn this isnt good, my hate for the Bruins is already at a boilingpoint.

Wow, soooooo much doom and gloom and we haven't even played a game yet........

Price vs Rask head to head..........Prive comes out on top, Rask has problems (for whatever reason) against us, so Im confident we can get to him