Thrower Signed

Commandant

Do you guys have any insight as to why they seem to be leaning towards not signing Vail?

Do you guys have any insight as to why they seem to be leaning towards not signing Vail?

A few guesses:

- The 50-player contract limit. By the time they re-sign their RFA's and UFA's, they're going to probably be over 45. Knowing that the Habs like to keep a few spots handy at the beginning of the year (which really came in handy this season), that doesn't help.

- He didn't impress at training camp where he was the first cut, ahead of others who were just there on a tryout. His conditioning apparently wasn't up to par. That also was an issue at the US Junior team's offseason camp. His level of play has dropped off considerably towards the end of the last two years, also not a positive in the conditioning side of things.

- Does he have a role in the pros? He won't be a top-6 forward while he's not a particularly physical player. He could be a checker but didn't fare too well with his stints in Hamilton on ATO's in that role.

Personally, if it were up to me, I'd give him his ELC. At the very least, I think he could be a serviceable AHL'er for a few years and given how bad the Bulldogs have been lately, that would still be useful. It's looking more and more like he'll re-enter the draft though...unless they can flip him for a late round pick if someone else wants to sign him right away.

2 Questions I have;

Will Thrower, being only 6'0' 190-200lb, be physically able to play same type game vs Pros that he played in juniors, without further concussions or braking down?

And are his foot speed/smarts good enough to defend vs Pros?

2 Questions I have;

Will Thrower, being only 6'0' 190-200lb, be physically able to play same type game vs Pros that he played in juniors, without further concussions or braking down?

And are his foot speed/smarts good enough to defend vs Pros?

very hard to say but, he is bigger than Weaver, Cube, And the same size as gorges. Can't see why he can't play.

very hard to say but, he is bigger than Weaver, Cube, And the same size as gorges. Can't see why he can't play.

There's a difference between hitting junior players and pros obviously. One of Thrower's bigger concerns in junior is that he'll take himself out of the play to make the hit and will go for the big hit when a smaller one would suffice. Montreal's smaller d-men play with a bit more smarts. They can all throw the big hit when necessary but know when less is more. If Thrower can learn to pick his spots, he'll have a good chance of making it. If not, he could just be a depth blueliner. With all of the young D in the system, he'll have some time to develop.

I like his character, no matter what role he plays for the organization, not enough like him in our depth.

There's a difference between hitting junior players and pros obviously. One of Thrower's bigger concerns in junior is that he'll take himself out of the play to make the hit and will go for the big hit when a smaller one would suffice. Montreal's smaller d-men play with a bit more smarts. They can all throw the big hit when necessary but know when less is more. If Thrower can learn to pick his spots, he'll have a good chance of making it. If not, he could just be a depth blueliner. With all of the young D in the system, he'll have some time to develop.

He can learn that. I think there was another young defenceman who always went for the big hit. He still does sometimes. But PK has learned and so can Thrower in my opinion.

He can learn that. I think there was another young defenceman who always went for the big hit. He still does sometimes. But PK has learned and so can Thrower in my opinion.

Subban dosent battle like Thrower, nor duke it out with 6'5" 240lb goons as Thrower has. No comparison and Thrower already missed time in both last 2 years with concussions.

Subban dosent battle like Thrower, nor duke it out with 6'5" 240lb goons as Thrower has. No comparison and Thrower already missed time in both last 2 years with concussions.

I was speaking of the tendancy to go for the big hit and take yourself out of position.

It is more that Thrower is simply more physical, plays 'angry'/head hunts, gets suspended, or gets smoked and concussed, so a bit different than Subban, who never was a overly physical junior (if I recall correctly).

Anyways just hope Thrower, Bennett, Dietz, Ellis et al can stay healthy and play well in front of Condon or Tokarski.

"Thrower, who was both power-play quarterback and shutdown guy in his one season with the Giants, finished with 39 points, including 12 goals, in 42 games. He has also 70 penalty minutes. At that clip, the former Saskatoon Blades blueliner and Squamish native would have had 59 points and 107 penalty minutes if he didn’t miss the last month and a half of the regular season"

I am getting excited Don Scores Hits Fightd and is strong defensively. We don't need that? I think we do.

HR I am quite excited/curious to see how his ankle heals and what kind of shape he is in Oct and how he may fare vs Men.

On the Giants, any 1/2 decent kid would be a standout, so wouldn't read a lot into a 5th year juniors' superior play and quote (I assume by local writer) because he is supposed to dominate in 5th year, as many overagers do vs kids just out of junior high school.

I also hope Darren Dietz is 100% and can bulk up a bit this off season and stay healthy this coming year, was hard to judge is injury shortened rookie year.

But, for a hard hitting d-man, you just cant ignore back to back years with lost time due to concussions.

But, will keep fingers crossed that he can avoid any serious long term concussion issue.

But, for a hard hitting d-man, you just cant ignore back to back years with lost time due to concussions.

But, will keep fingers crossed that he can avoid any serious long term concussion issue.

Gotta admit the concussions are a problem. I hope he comes out healthy and mean.

The big question is not Throwers 2013-14 season but his 2012-13 year for me.

Why did he suck in his 4th season in the WHL?

If he wasn't so bad that year he would have been in the AHL this year.

You can't read too much into last year, because as an overager he should dominate. IF he didn't the Habs wouldn't even bother signing him.

What happens in the AHL is huge.

I know in throwers draft year he was the pp quarterback. The next year, I believe a couple injuries took him out early, and some punk called Darren dietz stole his spot on the pp and scored the most goals by any defenceman in the process.

A reminder that although thrower did have a bad season that year, he still had close to 30 points in around 55 games if I remember right, and was + 18 I believe. If he didn't battle injuries and still had that #1 pp spot, it could have easily been 50 points in 60 games. He can make it yet.

But point is, that he battled 2 years with concussion injuries vs some 'large-kids' and question is; Can he be effective against bigger/stronger/faster men?

Foot speed and/or high hockey IQ for defending is always important to be good d-men, so how will Thrower do is a million dollar question.

Dietz was hurt at start of season and near end, but likely Thrower will be a similar 3rd/2nd pairing guy (or maybe even Wheeling to start?) and wont have a huge impact as a rookie?

Possibly he (or Dietz-Bennett) can be a #4/5 NHL d-man several years down the road; but, gonna need to wait and see how he transitions to Pro first.

But point is, that he battled 2 years with concussion injuries vs some 'large-kids' and question is; Can he be effective against bigger/stronger/faster men?

Foot speed and/or high hockey IQ for defending is always important to be good d-men, so how will Thrower do is a million dollar question.

Dietz was hurt at start of season and near end, but likely Thrower will be a similar 3rd/2nd pairing guy (or maybe even Wheeling to start?) and wont have a huge impact as a rookie?

Possibly he (or Dietz-Bennett) can be a #4/5 NHL d-man several years down the road; but, gonna need to wait and see how he transitions to Pro first.

Well I don't follow throwers career that closely so I would have to ask, how did he get those concussions, in a fight or was he checked. If he got them fighting then I think the answer is obvious, stop fighting unless you really have to. Fighting is not your job.