Gallant named Head Coach in Florida (pg. 3)

dlbalr

It appears Gerard Gallant could be on his way out of Montreal as he has been added to Florida's interview list for their coaching vacancy. Given the other candidates listed in the below article, I think he'll have a reasonable chance of getting the job, particularly since Huberdeau played his best hockey for Gallant.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?20024

Vancouver and Washington also have head coaching vacancies that Gallant could interview for potentially.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing 3 assistants to NHL head jobs in a short span is more than most but other teams are losing their coaching personnel as well, just not as top coaches. I'd have to guess that quite a few other teams are raided at a somewhat similar rate in terms of the number of coaches taken. Most NHL coaching jobs (head or assistant) are steals from another teams' AHL club or from the assistant coach ranks. AHL head coaches are often plucked from NHL assistants as well.

Look at the current coaching staffs for Montreal/Hamilton - Daigneault was taken from New York's farm team, Lefebvre was taken from Colorado where he was an assistant. There's lots of those moves that would also qualify as 'coach stealing' each year.

Maybe could Lefebvre be bumped up to fill Gallant's role (I know nil chance but could hope)? And maybe allow a QMJHL coach to give it a go in Hamilton (given that French seems a given for both teams' headcoachs)

Maybe could Lefebvre be bumped up to fill Gallant's role (I know nil chance but could hope)? And maybe allow a QMJHL coach to give it a go in Hamilton (given that French seems a given for both teams' headcoachs)

Wait, you want Lefebvre to work his 'magic' with the big club? Hasn't he wrecked enough already?

I just think he could do less damage as an assistant, not consider it a promotion.

Taking Gallant's job would mean running the forwards and the powerplay. That would do a ton of damage given how bad Hamilton's forwards and powerplay were.

I just think he could do less damage as an assistant, not consider it a promotion.

"What fans need to remember though, is how green Sylvain Lefebvre really is. This is his second season being a head coach. Not in the AHL, but anywhere. He spent three years as an assistant in Colorado under the incompetent Joe Sacco, and two years as an assistant in Lake Erie. "

You can pick em Don, lets let him simmer a little longer in the AHL

Lefebvre is a terrible coach IMHO, not assistant material any more than he is AHL material.... and he's clearly not AHL material either.

Bummer for us...but good for him.

Is it just me, or do the Habs seem to have been disproportionately head-hunted when it comes to coaching? Boucher, Muller, now Gallant.

I think our "Chicago swipe count" is around three with Bergevin, Waite and Lapointe. You wanna talk disproportion? ;)

I think our "Chicago swipe count" is around three with Bergevin, Waite and Lapointe. You wanna talk disproportion? ;)

Technically, Waite wasn't a 'swipe' as he signed in July, his contract had expired.

Bummer for us...but good for him.

Is it just me, or do the Habs seem to have been disproportionately head-hunted when it comes to coaching? Boucher, Muller, now Gallant.

I agree, but You have to realize that if a coach can coach in Montreal, he can coach in any other city...whereas it's not necessarily the same the other way around! Coaching in Nashville or Los Angeles doesn't come with the same amount of pressure!

Guest Stogey24

I agree, but You have to realize that if a coach can coach in Montreal, he can coach in any other city...whereas it's not necessarily the same the other way around! Coaching in Nashville or Los Angeles doesn't come with the same amount of pressure!

L.A is a contender every year, how is there no pressure

MT replacement HR eh, dreaming if a good coach wants to assist for several more years after MT collects coach of year in 2014-15. :nuts:

Can we please all just accept that - barring some total meltdown - MT is here for at least another two years? And you know, deservedly so. Folks can quibble with his in-game decisions and I've been concerned about the lack of progression from young players over the regular season this year, but the bottom line is the team has achieved or exceeded its potential in both of his seasons as coach. Only a nut-bar GM would consider jettisoning him.

It is a real good opportunity to look for MT's replacement. Let's go get the best french speaking assistant we can.

It's rare that a team will promote one of their own assistants to the head job when they fire their coach. If you're angling for a Therrien replacement to be groomed, Hamilton is the place for that to happen...and it's still Lefebvre there sadly even though the owner apparently went to Bergevin and asked for a change behind their bench.

Molson sticking his nose in there (as he did with McCarron?).

Not that a change in Hamilton dosent seem to be a bad idea, maybe Bergevin has some 'masterplan', likes greenish headcoach and young roster and is going with tough love or sink/swim strategy?

Thinking out loud, I wonder if Guy Boucher would come back from Europe for an assistant coach job. He'd be an interesting replacement for Gallant, should he leave.

I remember reading that Boucher had an NHL opt-out in his contract, but it may only be for a head coaching position.

Molson sticking his nose in there (as he did with McCarron?).

Not that a change in Hamilton dosent seem to be a bad idea, maybe Bergevin has some 'masterplan', likes greenish headcoach and young roster and is going with tough love or sink/swim strategy?

I think it might have been the owner of the Bulldogs, not Molson.