A Eller

A- Bourque, Galchenyuk

B+ Weise

B Gallagher, Pacioretty, Briere

B- Plekanec, Desharnais

C Bournival, Gionta

C- Vanek

D Prust

The ones that jump out at me that I disagree with are Galchenyuk and Bourney. I have a total hard-on for Bourney and I love watching him play, these playoffs no exception. He almost always makes the right play, and plays with speed and intensity. Galchenyuk was a pleasant surprise for me, and made many slick offensive plays (and a few right place at the right time deflections), but he was often physically overmatched and exposed defensively. He was good in a support role in the manner of Briere, which is encouraging, but not quite top of the list material in my view. Gallagher brought his signature heart, tenacity, and never-quit attitude, and should be ranked above Pacioretty and Briere IMO.

Here they are, from Brian:

http://habsworld.net/article.php?id=3412

A Eller

A- Bourque, Galchenyuk

B+ Weise

B- Plekanec, Desharnais

C Bournival, Gionta

C- Vanek

D Prust

The ones that jump out at me that I disagree with are Galchenyuk and Bourney. I have a total hard-on for Bourney and I love watching him play, these playoffs no exception. He almost always makes the right play, and plays with speed and intensity. Galchenyuk was a pleasant surprise for me, and made many slick offensive plays (and a few right place at the right time deflections), but he was often physically overmatched and exposed defensively. He was good in a support role in the manner of Briere, which is encouraging, but not quite top of the list material in my view. Gallagher brought his signature heart, tenacity, and never-quit attitude, and should be ranked above Pacioretty and Briere IMO.

One thing I've noticed with bournival is that his shot is absolute garbage. He can skate like the wind yes, but how many times did I watch a half decent scoring chance unfold only for bournival to send a very weak wrister straight into the goalie's crest. IF he could develop his shot I truly think he could be a gem, and I do like him, but until that time I don't think he's much more than a bottom six plugger. A very quick one, but not an overly physical one either. Now, with a shot.. What a difference it would mean to him as a player. Kessel-esqe. I'm looking forward to his development though. Maybe added strength will give him that shot.
  • Upvote 1

If there was a F rating I would have put Prust and Vanek there, I think Moen and White would have been better choices than either one of those guys in game 6 vs Rangers, but that wasn't MT's view, Travis wasn't in game shape was why MT didn't play him he says.

I think maybe Galchenyuk was so high on Brian's list because like Bourque, he was one of the only ones that looked like he might just create a scoring chance, his role shouldn't be to be the best defensive player, we lost game 6, 1-0...

Bournival, I agree with Neech, should have been ranked a bit higher, he was great when in the line up.

Fair and accurate assessment ya ask me, enjoyed the read...

Prust was pissing off the Rangers players. That's the only reason I saw him to be in the lineup for those games. Game five, Prust hit McDonaugh a few times and it stopped McDonaugh from pulling his usual crap. He was also skating afraid with the puck after. But that's about all he did.

I always get the feeling Prust is the most liked guy in the locker and the team loves him. If the captaincy went to a vote, I get the feeling he'd get the nod.

Nice piece, Brian. Some random observations:

Funny thing about Desharnais...his numbers were mediocre, but I thought his actual play was by and large quite strong. It's odd how sometimes the statistics seem to fly in the face of what you're actually seeing out there.

Prust had a bad year, and we have to hope that he is not just plain broken-down, an "old" 30-year-old. In he and Moen we seem to have two accomplished grinders on the downslide.

Is Ryan White any part of this team's plans? Should he be?

Neech makes a good assessment of Galy, and those plumping for him to be moved to C had better remember his propensity to be physically overmatched and his questionable defensive play. I don't think he's there yet.

Weise was awesome and is making Torterella (who didn't like him) look like even more of an idiot.

I have zero issue with Prust, he did his and Parros's job and likely fought more than anyone in the league.

Moan & White obviously aint in future plan and will be gone in a month I bet.

A Eller

A- Bourque, Galchenyuk

B+ Weise

B- Plekanec, Desharnais

C Bournival, Gionta

C- Vanek

D Prust

In a way, he is. The ordering of players with the same grade wasn't random. If I were doing number grades, Gallagher would have been highest of that group so that's why he was slotted at the top.

Bournival was one I struggled with. On the one hand, he didn't play poorly. On the other, he didn't generate much offence or make any stand-out plays. I found those more or less cancelled each other out, yielding more of an average rating. Given his performance during the season, average for him is around a C so I stuck with that for the postseason one.

Funny thing about Desharnais...his numbers were mediocre, but I thought his actual play was by and large quite strong. It's odd how sometimes the statistics seem to fly in the face of what you're actually seeing out there.

I agree. He upped his two-way game and intensity when it mattered most. I still find it a little concerning to have him as our first-line offensive centre when we're down in the third of a playoff game, but if Chucky surpasses him as we hope, he's shown that he's top-six material.

One thing I've noticed with bournival is that his shot is absolute garbage. He can skate like the wind yes, but how many times did I watch a half decent scoring chance unfold only for bournival to send a very weak wrister straight into the goalie's crest. IF he could develop his shot I truly think he could be a gem, and I do like him, but until that time I don't think he's much more than a bottom six plugger. A very quick one, but not an overly physical one either. Now, with a shot.. What a difference it would mean to him as a player. Kessel-esqe. I'm looking forward to his development though. Maybe added strength will give him that shot.

I disagree a bit on the physicality; his hits aren't bone-crushing or anything, but they're well-timed and placed. He knows which situation to use his speed, or his body. He has superb hockey sense at 21, and that's something that doesn't grow on trees. I'm looking forward to his physical maturation.

I agree that his shot isn't very good, hopefully he can improve it. But he strikes me as a Plekanec type (with less offensive tools at this point). He won't put up too many points unless he's on a line with a scorer, but you can count on him to make the right play.

I agree. He upped his two-way game and intensity when it mattered most. I still find it a little concerning to have him as our first-line offensive centre when we're down in the third of a playoff game, but if Chucky surpasses him as we hope, he's shown that he's top-six material.

I disagree a bit on the physicality; his hits aren't bone-crushing or anything, but they're well-timed and placed. He knows which situation to use his speed, or his body. He has superb hockey sense at 21, and that's something that doesn't grow on trees. I'm looking forward to his physical maturation.

Actually yes, his timing is good for his checks, maybe I should give him more credit there. No doubt his hockey sense has a lot to do with that. And come to think about it, putting on 10-15 pound would help significantly with making his checks more punishing. Physical maturation could go a long way for bournival.

I would rate the forwards in the following order:

1. Eller

2. Bourque

3. Desharnais

4. Weise

5. Gallagher

6. Plekanec

7. Galchenyuk

8. Pacioretty

9. Bournival

10. Briere

11. Gionta

12. Prust

13. Vanek

I can't see how Pacioretty & Briere get higher grades than Desharnais. Desharnais was lights out for most of the playoffs and really stepped up at crucial times. Only his size let him down but he has the heart of a lion.

A Eller

A- Bourque, Galchenyuk

B+ Weise

B- Plekanec, Desharnais

C Bournival, Gionta

C- Vanek

D Prust

Edited by Habs owned the 70's

It's unfortunate that, because of mediocre offensive playoff stats this year (8 points in 17 games), the myth of Desharnais as a playoff putz will live on unabated despite his strong play. Within a couple of months nobody will remember the kinds of things we're saying here (i.e., that he played well and fully deserves a top-6 role) and all the chatter will be that we can't win with a C like that in the playoffs, etc.. Damned numbers!

pleks really wasn't scoring when he came up. When pleks and Higgins came up, what struck me the most was the work ethic and speed. Bournival has both of the qualities as we'll.

I agree that his shot isn't very good, hopefully he can improve it. But he strikes me as a Plekanec type (with less offensive tools at this point). He won't put up too many points unless he's on a line with a scorer, but you can count on him to make the right play.

Bournival's shooting issue is he treats the puck like it's a hand grenade. He doesn't take any time with it. Even when he'd be better to pass it he'll just fire it at the net. That seems to be a coaching thing.

I always thought it was a confidence thing. He doesn't have any faith in himself to take that extra time to find a better option or lean into the shot, so he sends it to the net as to not pass up a "scoring chance".

Bournival's shooting issue is he treats the puck like it's a hand grenade. He doesn't take any time with it. Even when he'd be better to pass it he'll just fire it at the net. That seems to be a coaching thing.

That's from Hamilton's system. Get in the zone, shoot, and hope for the best.

It can't be coaching - we have a coaching genius behind the bench!

Holy moly! Genius's are everywhere Batman.

Although, I think Therrien is a different kind of Genius than Lefebvre, but who knows if in 10 years he actually becomes a better coach?.

Good reviews and comments from le gang. I'd like to tout a bit for Pleks who played himself into exhaustion and still don't get Vanek. Playoff hockey is weird.