Summer 2014 Target UFAs

sim.on

Top-line, elite talent would be nice. I seriously doubt that it'll come via free agency. And remember that Galchenyuk projects to become this, so blowing up the core to acquire a Big Name may be unnecessary.

I still think this team is going to be built on the "roll three good, fast, smart lines" model rather than the top-heavy Penguins model. We have a superstar defenceman and a superb goalie as our fundamental pieces. We also have a natural C that many think is the best player from his draft year, and he is on the upward arc. Neither the Kings nor the Rangers are particularly front-loaded with big name offensive superstars, so that shows this model can work; perhaps we should move away from the idea that if you don't have some awesome legends up front you can't win.

Guest Stogey24

Top-line, elite talent would be nice. I seriously doubt that it'll come via free agency. And remember that Galchenyuk projects to become this, so blowing up the core to acquire a Big Name may be unnecessary.

I still think this team is going to be built on the "roll three good, fast, smart lines" model rather than the top-heavy Penguins model. We have a superstar defenceman and a superb goalie as our fundamental pieces. We also have a natural C that many think is the best player from his draft year, and he is on the upward arc. Neither the Kings nor the Rangers are particularly front-loaded with big name offensive superstars, so that shows this model can work; perhaps we should move away from the idea that if you don't have some awesome legends up front you can't win.

Look what Vanek did for this team during the regular season. Montreal's top line was one of the best in the league and they were kicking ass during that stint(Then Vanek grew some ladies parts and the rest is history). I'm just saying I think they need one more skilled forward to run beside Pac and DD

Vanek wasn't the only one who grew lady parts. His line mates were right there with him, especially Pacioretty. The difference is Vanek was banished tot he 4th line and the other 2 weren't.

They definitely need a skilled RW to play with them, I like Gallagher, but he isn't a top line RW,

For sure, I agree that we need at least one quality W. I'm just not convinced that he has to be a really big name, 85-point, "elite" winger, that's all. That would be nice, don't get me wrong. I just can't see how we can acquire one without devastating our core or blowing up our salary structure; and I'm not convinced we need to go out an acquire one in order to win the Cup.

With there being some speculation about some of the bottom six guys being moved (Briere, Bourque, Prust/Moen, White), there could be a target or two in free agency to replace them. One I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal go after is Derek MacKenzie out of Columbus. He's not the biggest of players (5'11/181) but that doesn't stop him.

He regularly averages about 3 hits per game, is above average on faceoffs, and can log time on the second penalty kill unit. He'll also chip in here and there offensively (15 or so points per year) and fights a handful of times as well. He also stays out of the penalty box (just 11 minor penalties in 71 games last year).

At 33, he may only have a couple of years left but if they move out one of their gritty players or have an opening or two in the bottom six come July 1st, here's hoping Bergevin at least kicks the tires on his asking price.

He's a good bottom six guy. I watched him during the Pittsburgh series and I liked what I saw. He would be a good fit here. We need to find someone who can take a faceoff.

Vanek wasn't the only one who grew lady parts. His line mates were right there with him, especially Pacioretty. The difference is Vanek was banished tot he 4th line and the other 2 weren't.

That's not really fair. Vanek vanished of his own lack of effort.

Patches and DD put in the effort. and just couldn't get the puck over the goal line -- it was never because they were floating.

DD played very well in the playoffs. His numbers did not reflect his play. Patches was spottier but did score some big goals. I think he is clearly in the process of figuring the playoffs out. Neither of those guys deserves the flak they get.

Word is that Red Wings set to offer Boyle two years, $11M. Hence why he's not going to Montreal.

Thank you holland!!

Guest Stogey24

DD played very well in the playoffs. His numbers did not reflect his play. Patches was spottier but did score some big goals. I think he is clearly in the process of figuring the playoffs out. Neither of those guys deserves the flak they get.

I said this before. I really noticed an improvement in Pac's hockey IQ from the start of the year.

There was a huge uplift playing with Vanek as well.

I said this before. I really noticed an improvement in Pac's hockey IQ from the start of the year.

Guest Stogey24

There was a huge uplift playing with Vanek as well.

True. We've clearly seen success when Pac and DD play with another power forward like Vanek or Cole for instance( Kind of a given I guess). I'm not sure Parenteau fits the bill, so hopefully another trade takes place...?

So right now, we've heard that Zoot Suit is coveting Jussi Jokinen, Radim Vrbata and a possible upgrade on defense for Gorges.

Could all three be done?

So right now, we've heard that Zoot Suit is coveting Jussi Jokinen, Radim Vrbata and a possible upgrade on defense for Gorges.

Could all three be done?

With the acquisition of Parenteau, I would think that only one of Jokinen or Vrbata would be necessary.

With the acquisition of Parenteau, I would think that only one of Jokinen or Vrbata would be necessary.

You're probably right.

Example:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Vrbata/Jokinen

Bournival - Weise - Prust

Moen

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Mitchell

Beaulieu - Weaver

Tinordi

You're probably right.

Example:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Vrbata/Jokinen

Bournival - Weise - Prust

Moen

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Mitchell

Beaulieu - Weaver

Tinordi

traded Gorges for a pick and wasted the money on Vrbata and Mitchell ?!?!

I don't wanna see Vrbata or Jokinen, blah....I'd rather take a chance on Milan Michalek, guy can fly and score, and isn't bad defensively because he works hard, well, always did vs Habs anyway. Still think MB wants an elite 1st line player, and that very well could be a center....

Mitchell I thought was awesome in the Finals for the Kings, mean and punishing, and scores the odd goal. No easy shifts in the Kings zone for the opposition against Willie....

I feel Bergevin has made all the right moves thus far. The return he got on Gorges was better than I expected. Craig Rivet keeps on giving! Smart asset management by Zoot.

Vrbata is exactly the guy we need now. Leave Andighetto & De la Rose in Hamilton. Move Bourque for a handy Timmons special 5th round pick. I can't see Bourque on this roster come training camp. Allocate those funds to Vrbata. 2 yr 5 - 5.5 per. He'd be mad not to sign when looking at the depth chart with him penciled in. Anyone doubting Vrbata as a legitimate top-6 option are making a similar mistake that people make when evaluating Plekanec's overall impact. Vrbata might actually be a better fit on the Habs than Vanek every was or could have been.

Im of the Lou Lamoriello school of thinking in regards to cap hits. Carey Price is the best player on the Habs. Lou refused to pay anyone more than Marty. Carey's contract runs for another 4 years at $6.5. This should be the offer that Subban takes. 4 years $6.5M per. Then you have both of your stars to re-neg and open the banks to the same year. Karlsson is THE BEST comparison to PK. And, is at $6.5M as well. Anything more is absurd. I love PK but he's no Keith, Weber or Doughty.. yet.

Pacioretty Desharnais Parenteau

Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher

Sekac Plekanec Vrbata

Prust Malhotra Weise

Moen Bournival

Anything less than a trade for a top 6 winger or another signing.. and all the work Bergy has done thus far will have been for naught. 1 more piece to be a legitimate force.

I feel Bergevin has made all the right moves thus far. The return he got on Gorges was better than I expected. Craig Rivet keeps on giving! Smart asset management by Zoot.

Vrbata is exactly the guy we need now. Leave Andighetto & De la Rose in Hamilton. Move Bourque for a handy Timmons special 5th round pick. I can't see Bourque on this roster come training camp. Allocate those funds to Vrbata. 2 yr 5 - 5.5 per. He'd be mad not to sign when looking at the depth chart with him penciled in. Anyone doubting Vrbata as a legitimate top-6 option are making a similar mistake that people make when evaluating Plekanec's overall impact. Vrbata might actually be a better fit on the Habs than Vanek every was or could have been.

Im of the Lou Lamoriello school of thinking in regards to cap hits. Carey Price is the best player on the Habs. Lou refused to pay anyone more than Marty. Carey's contract runs for another 4 years at $6.5. This should be the offer that Subban takes. 4 years $6.5M per. Then you have both of your stars to re-neg and open the banks to the same year. Karlsson is THE BEST comparison to PK. And, is at $6.5M as well. Anything more is absurd. I love PK but he's no Keith, Weber or Doughty.. yet.

Pacioretty Desharnais Parenteau

Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher

Sekac Plekanec Vrbata

Prust Malhotra Weise

Moen Bournival

I don't think Bourque is going anywhere, despite his poor regular season numbers, he still brings value to the lineup. I'm fairly certain that MB is done UFA shopping and that is quite alright IMO. I'm excited to see what some of the prospects do in training camp

If we pay only 6.5 mil for Subban, it'll be highway robbery. He is a better all-around player than Erickson. The guy is going to cash in big, and rightly so, because he in addition to being a top-5 NHL defenceman he is also THE most electrifying player in all of hockey and a superstar for years to come. I'm not going to see him walk in 2-3 years because Zoot Suit "adheres to the Lou Lamorello School of Cap Management." How have the Devils done, anyway, over the past decade? Basically substantially worse than the Habs under three different GMs. Non merci.

But I like your idea of dumping Bourque and singing Vrbata. One thing I don't quite understand is why teams are acting like they have to get under the cap by July 1. I see no big deal in going over in signing a UFA and then shipping out fishwaste like Bourque in order to get under it before the season.

But I like your idea of dumping Bourque and singing Vrbata. One thing I don't quite understand is why teams are acting like they have to get under the cap by July 1. I see no big deal in going over in signing a UFA and then shipping out fishwaste like Bourque in order to get under it before the season.

If you're over the cap and trying to dump players, other teams will know you're against the gun and will offer as little value as possible to help that team get under. If you deal the guy before, you're not tipping your hand before making the trade and you might be able to get a better return. You also can't bury contracts in the minors like you once could so that option (wait it out, try to make a trade and if not, farm him out) doesn't exist either. At this stage there's no huge rush but if you can make the move before signing a replacement, you're probably better for it.