Dale Weise signs a two year, $2.05 M deal

TheDriveFor25

It's worth noting that this report came from 25Stanley who is hit and miss when it comes to Montreal stuff. The report has also been denied on Twitter by M-A Godin and J-F Chaumont. I'll leave this open for a bit though in case the report proves to be true but it is not a done deal.

signing him to a 1.2 to 1.5 per year for 2 years makes more sense but I want him re-signed.

The way I interpreted the report is that it would have been $1 million per year which falls in well with what Weise is worth. $2M per year for him would be nuts.

11 forwards signed: Plekanec, Pacioretty, Briere, Desharnais, Bourque, Prust, Moen, Weise, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival

2 forwards RFA: Eller, White

3 forwards UFA: Vanek, Parros, Gionta

4 Defencemen signed: Emelin, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi

1 Defenceman RFA: Subban

4 Defencemen UFA: Markov, Bouillon, Murray, Weaver

3 goalies signed: Price, Budaj, Tokaraki

We're looking at approx. $25M of cap space. We have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu to think about as RFAs next season with Briere coming off the books. We're in an extremely good financial situation to not only lock up Subban long term and give Markov a good deal but to also consider trading some warm bodies in hoping to upgrade, even if it means adding extra money. This all with an expendable forward (Moen) and a player we're still probably trying to move (Bourque).

Habs cap is handled extremely well.

• Upvote 1

11 forwards signed: Plekanec, Pacioretty, Briere, Desharnais, Bourque, Prust, Moen, Weise, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival

Something to note from that, when the two remaining RFA's get signed, that's 13 forwards under contract already, the normal amount of forwards that a team will carry during the year. It's safe to suggest they'll be looking for replacements for (or to re-sign) Vanek and Gionta. Assuming two forwards are signed into those spots, it really starts to look like there's going to be a forward traded in this offseason for a pick/prospect/d-man.

4 Defencemen signed: Emelin, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi

1 Defenceman RFA: Subban

4 Defencemen UFA: Markov, Bouillon, Murray, Weaver

3 goalies signed: Price, Budaj, Tokaraki

We're looking at approx. $25M of cap space. We have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu to think about as RFAs next season with Briere coming off the books. We're in an extremely good financial situation to not only lock up Subban long term and give Markov a good deal but to also consider trading some warm bodies in hoping to upgrade, even if it means adding extra money. This all with an expendable forward (Moen) and a player we're still probably trying to move (Bourque).

Habs cap is handled extremely well.

Subban : 8M

Markov : 6M

Weaver: 3M

Eller: 3M

White: 1M

That is 21M 2-3M to get Gionta signed (Not 100%sure I want it but thats what I think will actually happen)

$3 million for Weaver? He'd be hard-pressed to get that much on a two-year deal let alone a one year pact. I think you could be a tad high on Eller (depending on term) so there should be a bit more money than a couple of million to spend (barring 2013-14's overage and allowance for injuries/recalls of course).

$3 million for Weaver? He'd be hard-pressed to get that much on a two-year deal let alone a one year pact. I think you could be a tad high on Eller (depending on term) so there should be a bit more money than a couple of million to spend (barring 2013-14's overage and allowance for injuries/recalls of course).

Maybe but who knows. Weaver did get loads of praise for his play. I think the 12-13 season might be a factor for the Eller contract. 12-13 = 4-5M /year 13-14 = 2M/year.

The league learned an important lesson last season and Montreal was the benefactor: do not spend to the cap.

The whole reason Montreal got Vanek was because they had the free cap space. Every other team pleaded New York to take some salary back.

Also, the free agency market is thin for defencemen. Weaver could probably get $3M from a desperate team. That team shouldn't be Montreal.

Maybe but who knows. Weaver did get loads of praise for his play. I think the 12-13 season might be a factor for the Eller contract. 12-13 = 4-5M /year 13-14 = 2M/year.

Weaver had nearly 600 games of NHL experience (season + playoffs) before joining the Habs. Montreal got him for a future 5th rounder. In other words, no other GM thought he was worth acquiring at the time. Does 34 games with Montreal change that perception to the point of creating a bidding war resulting in Weaver doubling or tripling his salary at the age of 36? I don't see how. It's not as if he played any differently with the Habs than he did elsewhere (hit and block shots, hope he doesn't mess up otherwise). He earned a small raise, perhaps the weak market ups that raise by a hundred thousand or two but the contract still will start with a one.

A note on Weise (I had meant to mention this in the writeup on the site and I can't be bothered to edit it in now), he will be a UFA at the end of this contract.

• Upvote 1

Weaver had nearly 600 games of NHL experience (season + playoffs) before joining the Habs. Montreal got him for a future 5th rounder. In other words, no other GM thought he was worth acquiring at the time. Does 34 games with Montreal change that perception to the point of creating a bidding war resulting in Weaver doubling or tripling his salary at the age of 36? I don't see how. It's not as if he played any differently with the Habs than he did elsewhere (hit and block shots, hope he doesn't mess up otherwise). He earned a small raise, perhaps the weak market ups that raise by a hundred thousand or two but the contract still will start with a one.

A note on Weise (I had meant to mention this in the writeup on the site and I can't be bothered to edit it in now), he will be a UFA at the end of this contract.

Indeed, he tops out at Bouillon money. Even that is generous.

Subban : 8M

Markov : 6M

Weaver: 3M

Eller: 3M

White: 1M

That is 21M 2-3M to get Gionta signed (Not 100%sure I want it but thats what I think will actually happen)

Markov ... too much

Weaver 3 mill for 2 years 1.5 per yr

Eller 2 mill maybe less had a lousy season.

Now you have more money to play with, and don't sign GIO