Markov re-signs for three years

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/23/montreal-canadiens-sign-andrei-markov-three-year-deal/

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723488

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday that the team has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with defenseman Andrei Markov (2014-15 to 2016-17).

“We are very happy to have secured a long term agreement with Andrei. He is an important part of our group of core players. He is healthy, shows a very good work ethic and has great leadership skills. He plays big minutes against the top opponents, and game-changing defensemen of his calibre are hard to find” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.

“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am very confident in our group of players. I want to contribute to the success of our team,” said Andrei Markov.

In 81 games with the Canadiens in 2013-14, Markov totaled 43 points (7 goals, 36 assists). He tallied two goals on the powerplay and scored one winning goal. The 6’00’’ and 201 lbs defensemen recorded 131 shots on goal and a +12 differential, while averaging 25:14 of ice time per game. The veteran defenseman added ten points (1 goal, 9 assists) in 17 playoffs contests.

Markov, 35, has produced 442 points (98 goals, 344 assists) in 765 regular season contests since his NHL debut with the Montreal Canadiens in 2000-01. He has scored 51 powerplay goals, three shorthanded tallies and 18 winning goals. He shows 29 points (4 goals, 25 assists) in 71 playoff games throughout his career.

A native of Voskresensk, Russia, Markov was drafted by the Canadiens in the sixth round, 162nd overall at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He suited up for Russia at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, 2006 in Torino and 2010 in Vancouver.

Friedman says AAV is $5.75M

Very happy that Andrei will be ending his career with the team he started with. Still has good hockey left in him, good job MB.

Happy with this overall, Markov takes a little less salary to get the extra year. Reality is that I don't think there was any way to replace what Markov would bring to the team next year. I do worry about that 3rd year and how much he has left in the tank though. Ultimately I think that's what determines if this deal is a winner or not.

Either way, happy to have him back and to give Markov a chance to finish his career here.

5.25 would have been SO much better but no point fretting over half a mill. Glad to have him back because there was no way we were replacing him. I still think his presence will have a big impact on beaulieu down the road.

Now even when PK get 8 mill, we'll sitll have 11.6 mill in cap space to sign Eller, Weaver someone else and have some wiggle room.

Too bad we couldn't nudge either term or salary down a little bit, but under the circumstances I agree with the signing. This team is not rebuilding and, given the thinness of the UFA pool for defencemen, could not afford to let its #2 defenceman walk. I'm looking for Markov to deliver at least two years of performance comparable to 2013-14. If he is running on fumes by year three, no biggie, as Beaulieu should be nudging him out for ice-time by that point.

Now re-sign PK and let's get down to business!

Markov played a lot of minutes last year, plus olympics. I think he"ll be better than we expect if his minutes dont surpass 20-21.

MB has to be cap conscious as Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi are all RFA next season an in for raises.

Well I don't agree with this signing but I guess when push came to shove MB folded. I don't think he had any viable options to replace Markov, so was trapped in a bad situation. I sure hope this doesn't blow up in our faces. I really like Markov but he could put this team in a bad spot if he get's injured again. Cause we don't have a safety net. Now if he continues on like he did this year, hey I will be happy. He can now probably retire a Hab.

So, now we have 19 millions to sign Subban (8 millions). After this we have 11 millions to sign Eller, Weaver and someone from free agency. Not bad.

Sign Callahan maybe Moulson, Stastny, Grabovski. Let Beaulieu and Tinordi play.

Hope MB won't re-sign Gio.

Agree HR, but no alternative and look at Gonchar 40 or so and still doing OK, so we just got to hope 2016-17 isn't a wasted year.

Saying that, I am happy he will be around next year.

We definitely needed him back, but I am not crazy about the terms. Like most, I would have preferred 2 years and had hoped for a lesser salary than his last deal. Hopefully they give Beaulieu enough ice in the coming years to ear some of Markov's minutes toward the end of the deal. I would love to have Weaver back in Bouillon's role and let Beaulieu and Tinordi develop with solid minutes.

Not a fan of the third year, but happy he's back. He has the smarts to adapt his game to his declining body.

What's the status of his no-trade clause?

I think it's a full NTC this season, 12 team list in the last 2 seasons.

So, now we have 19 millions to sign Subban (8 millions). After this we have 11 millions to sign Eller, Weaver and someone from free agency. Not bad.

Sign Callahan maybe Moulson, Stastny, Grabovski. Let Beaulieu and Tinordi play.

Hope MB won't re-sign Gio.

Keep in mind that $19 million figure doesn't include bonuses, of which Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, and Tinordi all have at least some in their contracts. The Habs will have to account for that plus their usual injury cushion so they really don't have that much to spend.

I hate it. Sorry to rain on the parade, but the money could have been used to upgrade somewhere else.

Is the gap between Markov and Beaulieu more significant than say.. Statsny over Briere. or Moulson over Gionta.. or Jokinen or Iginla over Bourque...

Just so many better upgrades could have been made. Markov is a great offensive defenseman, but he doesn't scare anybody. Was really hoping he walked and we got Greene or somebody instead.

The Canadiens are a playoff team, but with the same D as last year it'll be Carey Price or bust!

Would I have been happier saving a half million a season? Sure. But Markov was definitely worth this contract. Even in three years, you'll have a hard time finding a defenseman that reliable for that money. (Just remember, Phaneuf is making $8.5 million this year.)

With Markov signed, the Habs have 18 players under contract, and $19,700,000 in available cap space.

Still to be signed: Mike Weaver (UFA), Lars Eller (RFA), P.K. Subban (RFA), and Brian Gionta (RFA).

I say they do NOT offer Ryan White more than a qualifying offer, and trade him first chance they get.

Removing Budaj from the roster (either by demotion, waivers, or trade) will free up another million and a half. $21 million to sign 4 players. Now sure, one of those could make 8.5 or 9. So let's say worst case scenario, 12 million to sign Weaver (2013/14 - 1.1M), Eller (2013/14 - 1.5M), and Gionta (2013/14 - 5M). Gionta will take a 2 million/year pay cut. Eller and weaver might make a small raise. I say 7 million to sign the three of them.

That leaves us with 5 million to grab an impact veteran.

I hate it. Sorry to rain on the parade, but the money could have been used to upgrade somewhere else.

Is the gap between Markov and Beaulieu more significant than say.. Statsny over Briere. or Moulson over Gionta.. or Jokinen or Iginla over Bourque...

Just so many better upgrades could have been made. Markov is a great offensive defenseman, but he doesn't scare anybody. Was really hoping he walked and we got Greene or somebody instead.

The Canadiens are a playoff team, but with the same D as last year it'll be Carey Price or bust!

I think for us to become a true contender we need to start seeing the young players take some major strides forward. Its not about signing UFA's for this team.

Any chance for Markov to wear the C if Gionta doesnt return?

Yes.

With Beaulieu trying to pull in Markov's minutes, the Tampa takes Montreal to 7 games this year and Boston stomps us in Four. Markov is a bonified number 2 defenseman on just about any team in the NHL. 25 minutes a game, penalty killing, and an extremely impressive 43 points, too. The guy is still elite.

Comparing him to Beaulieu now is comical.

Comparing them in three years is another matter. My concern with this contract is the length of it, not the yearly salary. But I suspect he'll still be worth his pay in three years.

Those other guys aren't available. If they are, the extra 5-6 million we will have left to sign them will be enough.

Would have preferred a 2 year deal, or MB packaging Pleks/Gorges/Bourque/Moen/pick for another #2 and a big scoring winger, but if he isn't going to make a big trade, we pretty much had to sign Markov. Hopefully MT keeps him at around 20 min a game.