Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

MTL appears to want to shed his salary/contract. Could trade him to 1 of 15 approved teams. Failing that, could put him on waivers.

— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)

Can't imagine MB takes this route

There must not be a market for him. Otherwise, you'd think they'd take a deal with 1 of the 15 approved teams instead of circling back to try to coerce him to Toronto (who is fairly high up on the waiver priority list to boot).

Too bad, this officially nixes Habs29's plans to move him for Kane.

I'd say the fact that no Canadian team is on his list of 15 more or less killed any (unrealistic) hopes of that happening.

Gorges speaks:

This could be shaping up to be quite the bitter departure.

It happens. he is all but gone for sure now. I don't think MB was the one who gave him that deal. I also don't think the decisions MB makes are personal, or know one ever suggested Gorges didn't give his all.

The fact is the habs are loaded with LD, Subban and Pateryn are it currently.

the only RH dmen.

Gorges speaks:

#Habs: "This is really hard to accept. I have always given my heart to this team." - Josh Gorges.

— J-F Chaumont (@JFChaumontJDM) June 30, 2014

#Habs: "I have never asked for a trade, this is the call of Marc Bergevin. I am in shock" - Josh Gorges to the Journal de Montréal.

— J-F Chaumont (@JFChaumontJDM) June 30, 2014

This could be shaping up to be quite the bitter departure.

Just As long as we keep Gallagher in the divorce.

• Upvote 1

I understand his disappointment, however hockey is a business. Montreal wasn't going to the media with this, he did. Not that I blame him, but for outsiders to say they don't like how its being handled... well I'm not sure I agree. I like Josh. Good character guy, above average in his own zone. Still, really only a 4/5 guy on a solid defensive team. If we can make the team better either through trade or by bringing in a UFA with his dollars freed, then it's a good hockey decision.

Still and all, though, he's been a great member of this club and one of the reasons we're better today than we were when we got him.

I am sure that's what is going on here is this: MB has been conferring with a UFA defenceman and believes he will be able to sign him. This prospective signing makes Gorges redundant. I'll bet it's Boyle, but that's just a guess. No way would MB so aggressively cut Gorges loose if he wasn't very confident he will be able to replace him.

Sucks for Gorges, who has been an absolute blood-and-guts warrior for us and deserves better than to be treated like a used tampon. I do, however, like the ruthlessness Zoot Suit is showing. I've always believed that that's how you build a winner, through a merciless quest to upgrade.

"Upgrading" Gorges with Boyle? If that were to happen, colour me decidedly unconvinced. Another multi-year deal to an older player we remain on the hook for? The only way I see it making sense is if we sign him for one year with the assumption that the kids will take over. But theres a lot of risk there. I would hope its one of the other bigger defensive names out there. Or perhaps a shocker for a forward or two.

I have no opinion on Boyle. But what I am 99% certain of is that Bergevin has a replacement for Gorges all but locked up, and it's probably a UFA defenceman. I can't see any other reason for being so publicly aggressive about moving Gorges, immediately before July 1.

Too bad, this officially nixes Habs29's plans to move him for Kane.

That was pleks and gorges for Kane.

Why is it that every player that has a no trade, refuse to play for another Canadian team?

That was pleks and gorges for Kane.

Why is it that every player that has a no trade, refuse to play for another Canadian team?

Those teams all suck. While it's a great thing to be in a Canadian city on a strong team, it's not nearly so much fun on a bad one - all that attention so quickly turns negative. It's a bit soulless, but I can't really blame 'em. All I can say is, thank God the Habs are the one exception, a strong Canadian franchise and attractive to UFAs and NTC players, for the most part.

I hope Boyle isn't MB's idea of what we need. Maybe Boyle from 5 or 6 years ago, but his best hockey is behind him.

I'm thinking it's to free up space for a trade...

I'm happy MB corrected last years mistake by dumping Briere, I'm also happy that he is looking to move Gorges. Having said that, unless the deal was for van Reimsdyk, I really don't want to deal with leafs. Why not try Florida or the isles and snag one of their young players?

But Boyle is clearly not the answer. It's just as asinine as the Briers signing. Why try and sign another over the hill washed up player that was dumped by his last two teams??

I hope Boyle isn't MB's idea of what we need. Maybe Boyle from 5 or 6 years ago, but his best hockey is behind him.

I'm thinking it's to free up space for a trade...

Other than Ehrhoff, whom else could it be? There really are no other UFA defencemen who could even be conceived as upgrades on Gorges. Boyle is a right-handed defenceman who produced 12 goals and 36 points last season. He ticks a lot of boxes, at least in theory.

I have a hard time believing that we will be able to trade Gorges for an upgrade on Gorges, hence my strong suspicion that Boyle will be a Hab tomorrow. I am NOT saying Boyle is better than Gorges. Just predicting what's going to happen.

Other than Ehrhoff, whom else could it be? There really are no other UFA defencemen who could even be conceived as upgrades on Gorges. Boyle is a right-handed defenceman who produced 12 goals and 36 points last season. He ticks a lot of boxes, at least in theory.

The original Gorges-to-Toronto talk came Saturday. Ehrhoff wasn't even known to be a free agent at that time as he was only bought out yesterday. I suspect it won't be him.

The original Gorges-to-Toronto talk came Saturday. Ehrhoff wasn't even known to be a free agent at that time as he was only bought out yesterday. I suspect it won't be him.

I agree, Ehrhoff will probably disrupt our salary structure too much anyway. Pretty sure we're looking at Boyle becoming a Hab.

I have a hard time believing that we will be able to trade Gorges for an upgrade on Gorges, hence my strong suspicion that Boyle will be a Hab tomorrow. I am NOT saying Boyle is better than Gorges. Just predicting what's going to happen.

Bogosian is apparently on the block. If we could get him, we'd easily have the best D in the league.

Sucks for Gorges, who has been an absolute blood-and-guts warrior for us and deserves better than to be treated like a used tampon.agreed.

agreed! True Gorges isn't the best player out there, but you know that you're getting 100% from him EVERY night! Great character guy and I would hate to see him go! All this crap going on in the media is also lousy. I thought the Habs were classier than this!

Lastly, I really hope Zuit Suit isn't thinking of replacing Gorges with Dan Boyle. I'd hardly call that an upgrade!!!

Gorges has been the glue holding our defense corps together. He's one of the top 5 defensive, stay-at-home D's in the league, and blocks shots like nobody else.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't move him? Not at all. But we need someone else to do his job.

We don't have that right now.

People keep saying Tinordi/Beaulieu, but neither of those guys is ready. We should keep one up, to GET them ready, but if we dress both regularly for the season, we'll have the most porous, horrible defense in the league. I don't know who MB has in mind to replace JG, but I hope he has another solid stay-at-home D-man lined up and ready to go if he manages to pull the trigger on this.