Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

Well, JVR would be a pretty sweet acquisition...that's the version of this rumour I like best!

JVR is another Max Pac, Toronto would be crazy to deal him for Georges, even crazier than dealing Kadri if you ask me lol.

I'd love to get JVR. Kadri, not so much.

Either one of those guys leaves a gaping hole on our blueline...we're down three regulars. We're not re-signing Weaver. Who is going to fill it? (Don't say Tinordi and Beaulieu, because if they're both dressed, we're losing most nights.) Sounds like we are signing Bouillon right now because the alternative is to dress Tinordi, Beaulieu AND Pateryn every night, because if Gorges goes, only Subban, Markov and Emelin remain from last year's veterans.

Sign Ehrhoff, find a right handed version of Gorges, and alternate tinordi and beaulieu with bouillon in reserve, and we've got some depth again. We don't want to be caught relying on youth on the blue-line like the booins during the playoffs this year.

• Upvote 1

OK guys. Come clean.

The Leafs call you up and offer you several million dollars to play for them next year.

Of course you say no.

What kind of respect would we have for Gorges if he agreed to go to the Leafs.

God bless that boy!

I can see going to Toronto under some conditions...like a hostage taking incident ...kidnapping....

OK guys. Come clean.

The Leafs call you up and offer you several million dollars to play for them next year.

Of course you say no.

What kind of respect would we have for Gorges if he agreed to go to the Leafs.

God bless that boy!

I can see going to Toronto under some conditions...like a hostage taking incident ...kidnapping....

HMMM Komi seemed to leap in a heart beat. And look where that got him. :rofl:

(Don't say Tinordi and Beaulieu, because if they're both dressed, we're losing most nights.

For this past season, yes, but hopefully not next year. I bet at least one them surpasses Mike Weaver. We can also pick up a Mike Weaver-type UFA if his price has gone up too much.

Tinordi and Beaulieu HAVE to start the year with the Habs. They're old enough.

(Don't say Tinordi and Beaulieu, because if they're both dressed, we're losing most nights.) Sign Ehrhoff, find a right handed version of Gorges, and alternate tinordi and beaulieu with bouillon in reserve, and we've got some depth again. We don't want to be caught relying on youth on the blue-line like the booins during the playoffs this year.

I agree in signing Ehrhof may be a good idea, and how important depth is, but just don't agree that we would be losing most nights with those two young guys seeing lots of time this year. They won't be playing top 4 bud. Playoff hockey is a different animal, and they need to play to be ready for that, won't be ready if we don't play them. These two are not worse than Murray and Bouillion man, c'mon.... :halm:

I'd love to get JVR. Kadri, not so much.

Either one of those guys leaves a gaping hole on our blueline...we're down three regulars. We're not re-signing Weaver. Who is going to fill it? (Don't say Tinordi and Beaulieu, because if they're both dressed, we're losing most nights.) Sounds like we are signing Bouillon right now because the alternative is to dress Tinordi, Beaulieu AND Pateryn every night, because if Gorges goes, only Subban, Markov and Emelin remain from last year's veterans.

Sign Ehrhoff, find a right handed version of Gorges, and alternate tinordi and beaulieu with bouillon in reserve, and we've got some depth again. We don't want to be caught relying on youth on the blue-line like the booins during the playoffs this year.

I can't wait for 2019. Tinordi and Beaulieu will be SO GOOD playing AHL TOP PAIR MINUTES all this time, Habs will be a POWERHOUSE at Defense.

-i could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we went 10-0 with gorges out of the line up this season and actually struggled upon his return.

-subban and markov were actually one of the best tandems in the league before MT broke them up to create more balance in the line up.

- subban struggled without gorges? you mean when he through bouillon into top pairing minutes?

- your captain needs to be one of your best players and gorges is not that. brave yes, vocal yes, but he is soft on the puck can't make plays or clear the net. sure he'll dive head first to block a shot but..... he is not a top pair defender!!

-the new captain will be either markov, subban, patches or plex!!

I can't wait for 2019. Tinordi and Beaulieu will be SO GOOD playing AHL TOP PAIR MINUTES all this time, Habs will be a POWERHOUSE at Defense.

Hey, there's no team that wants to be a contender that can afford to train more than a single blueliner a year.

By all means, keep Tinordi up this year. But we can't get Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu ready at the same time and expect to be anywhere near a playoff spot. It simply won't happen.

(Tinordi's the one of them most likely to make a difference, anyway. Beaulieu is never going to be more than a middling, J.J. Daigneault type of D-man. Tinordi could end up a bigger version of Lyle Odelein - minus the once-a-year end-to-end bobby-orr-style rush.)

Well, JVR would be a pretty sweet acquisition...that's the version of this rumour I like best!

agreed. but I refuse to believe that Shanahan is that incompetent!

I'm glad to see that a lot of posters on this site share my view that it is ridiculous to expect us to win while throwing big minutes at two raw rookies on the blueline. Sometimes it seems that everyone and his dog thinks Nathan Beaulieu is PK Subban Redux.

After sleeping on it, I find this Gorges business is bothering me. He is such a huge part of this team, and surely a big part of the terrific, committed-to-winning team culture we saw last season. He is also a crucial stabilizer in the defensive zone, and just subtracting him - or replacing him with a Dan Boyle - could see us running around in our own end to an even greater degree than was the case this season. Plus, his horrified reaction - including his AWESOME refusal to go to Toronto - bespeaks a guy who really does bleed red, white and blue. Clearly he is NOT a player for whom this is "just a business;" and that speaks to his character. It sucks to see him being crapped on by the organization, especially if it's mostly about dumping his salary (!). Talk about penny-pinching.

All that said, it's about the end result. If we come through this with a better blueline, then it's worth it. If we upgrade at FW while subtracting Gorges from the back end, then it's probably not.

you bring up some great points C.C. Let's not forget that Gorges and Price are best friends and Gally has been living at Gorges' place the last two seasons. Do you really wanna take the chance of pissing off your best player(Price) just to save a little money?

10 years ago we (the fans) were complaining that nobody wanted to play here. Now that we have a solid stay at home d-man who BLEEDS Red white and Blue, and were looking to trade him to the evil Leafs? WTF Bergevin? What are you thinking?

obviously, if the Leafs are offering JVR, then yeah, you gotta pull the trigger on the trade, but I seriously doubt the Leafs would offer us JVR for Gorges!!!

Little disappointing for me to read the words, "crapped on by the organization." This only became public when someone affiliated with the Leafs made it public. As for Gorges loving Montreal and not wanting a trade? Fantastic. But this is the business of winning a Stanley Cup, not keeping heart-and-soul guys who aren't difference-makers. Don't get me wrong, I love Gorges. Love who and what he is. However if Bergevin makes the team better, then isn't that what it's all about? And how is making a business decision crapping on a player? It sucks, it's tough, but it's not crapping. It's business. The GM's who are willing to make these very tough decisions are the ones who end up building winners.

Not that I don't agree with the vast majority of what you say, Cuke. I'm just not comfortable with that particular phrase.

Little disappointing for me to read the words, "crapped on by the organization." This only became public when someone affiliated with the Leafs made it public. As for Gorges loving Montreal and not wanting a trade? Fantastic. But this is the business of winning a Stanley Cup, not keeping heart-and-soul guys who aren't difference-makers. Don't get me wrong, I love Gorges. Love who and what he is. However if Bergevin makes the team better, then isn't that what it's all about? And how is making a business decision crapping on a player? It sucks, it's tough, but it's not crapping. It's business. The GM's who are willing to make these very tough decisions are the ones who end up building winners.

Not that I don't agree with the vast majority of what you say, Cuke. I'm just not comfortable with that particular phrase.

Well, I definitely agree that IF dumping Gorges makes the team better, then at the end of the day it's justified. Part of me loves the cold-eyed ruthlessness that Bergevin is displaying by treating Gorges this way. I think that's a characteristic of winning GMs - they literally do whatever it takes.

That said, I still think treating one of your most devoted and self-sacrificing players as a salary dump is about as close to "crapping in his head" as you can get. That's the part that really bothers me. Again, though, if the end result is a strong club, it's justified. It's also pretty ugly.

I'm glad to see that a lot of posters on this site share my view that it is ridiculous to expect us to win while throwing big minutes at two raw rookies on the blueline. Sometimes it seems that everyone and his dog thinks Nathan Beaulieu is PK Subban Redux.

After sleeping on it, I find this Gorges business is bothering me. He is such a huge part of this team, and surely a big part of the terrific, committed-to-winning team culture we saw last season. He is also a crucial stabilizer in the defensive zone, and just subtracting him - or replacing him with a Dan Boyle - could see us running around in our own end to an even greater degree than was the case this season. Plus, his horrified reaction - including his AWESOME refusal to go to Toronto - bespeaks a guy who really does bleed red, white and blue. Clearly he is NOT a player for whom this is "just a business;" and that speaks to his character. It sucks to see him being crapped on by the organization, especially if it's mostly about dumping his salary (!). Talk about penny-pinching.

All that said, it's about the end result. If we come through this with a better blueline, then it's worth it. If we upgrade at FW while subtracting Gorges from the back end, then it's probably not.

Beaulieu needs to play next season, bottom line. He will anchor the second PP and learn a lot playing with a guy like Markov. I also think that Tinordi should play a handful of games too. Gorges costs too much money ($4M/year) for what he brings to the table. And he's signed for 4 more years. Time to cut bait and replace him with a shot-blocking d-man for $1.5M.

That said, I still think treating one of your most devoted and self-sacrificing players as a salary dump is about as close to "crapping in his head" as you can get. That's the part that really bothers me. Again, though, if the end result is a strong club, it's justified. It's also pretty ugly.

That's business. Bergevin is committed to winning and winning means managing your cap. Gorges needs to suck it and accept that. Trades are a part of hockey and to think anyone is untouchable just because they've "bled" for their team is naive.

Well, I definitely agree that IF dumping Gorges makes the team better, then at the end of the day it's justified. Part of me loves the cold-eyed ruthlessness that Bergevin is displaying by treating Gorges this way. I think that's a characteristic of winning GMs - they literally do whatever it takes.

Gorges is being traded for two reasons.

First and foremost, in a cap system, you can't have a guy who on a good team, is a bottom pairing dman making almost $4M. There are three reasons why on a cap system, Gorges doesn'tt work.

1) Would not be an issue if Gainey/PG signed him to the 1 year contract instead of a long-term deal when he was an RFA. At that time he would have been signed for under $3M, probably closer to $2.5M.

2) The player and agent squeezing more out of the team, than the player is really worth. WHen he was signed, the habs sucked and had no choice but to sign him to a contract that was more than he was worth (similar to Brisbios). If a player really wants to stay on a team, than he should have signed for a salary that he could live up to.

3) MB decision to give Subban a bridge deal. Unlike all his peers who prior to the lockout, locked up all of their stars (Kane, Sequin, etc), MB played hardball and now he can't afford bad contracts. Subban could probably have been locked up for under $6M (at that time Tavares and Karlsson would have been served as the absolute upper limit for Subban). Subban was clearly a superstar waiting to explode, had a great attitude, committed to training and loved the franchise. He should have been locked up long term and should have been signed to a 10 to 12 year deal when it was still possible. Now his salary negotiations will START at $8M.

The second reason that Gorges had to be moved is that he was perceived as a top 4 dman in Montreal and as stated previously, he is a bottom pairing, heart and sould guy. In montreal he would be over-played by MT and I doubt MT was going to give Beaulieu and Tinordi a fair shot. This is why i hated having a MT's favourite Bouillon on the team last year and want nothing to do with him this year.

Beaulieu needs to play next season, bottom line. He will anchor the second PP and learn a lot playing with a guy like Markov. I also think that Tinordi should play a handful of games too. Gorges costs too much money ($4M/year) for what he brings to the table. And he's signed for 4 more years. Time to cut bait and replace him with a shot-blocking d-man for $1.5M.

100% agree. Although, I'd say that both Tinordi and Beaulieu need to be given every chance to play in 75% of the games this year. Only if they clearly show they don't belong, should they not be in Montreal. If they can sign Weaver for under $1.5M, he pretty much brings 90% of what Gorges brings, without the annoyance of having to hear Gorges "let's go boys" chant on 24CH.

That's business. Bergevin is committed to winning and winning means managing your cap. Gorges needs to suck it and accept that. Trades are a part of hockey and to think anyone is untouchable just because they've "bled" for their team is naive.

100% agree - especially when they are being grossly over paid for their bleeding.

Apparently Shanny is pitching Gorges again right now.

Shanny will tell Gorges that the principle point of contact is in Toronto. LOL

I am sure that's what is going on here is this: MB has been conferring with a UFA defenceman and believes he will be able to sign him. This prospective signing makes Gorges redundant. I'll bet it's Boyle, but that's just a guess. No way would MB so aggressively cut Gorges loose if he wasn't very confident he will be able to replace him.

Sucks for Gorges, who has been an absolute blood-and-guts warrior for us and deserves better than to be treated like a used tampon. I do, however, like the ruthlessness Zoot Suit is showing. I've always believed that that's how you build a winner, through a merciless quest to upgrade.

"Sucks for Gorges, who has been an absolute blood-and-guts warrior for us and deserves better than to be treated like a used tampon."

Gorges is the kind of guy who, like us, bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge. He is a person ..just heard he was traded to Buffalo... who has a personal relationship.. a love relationship with his team and his community and us.

This one hurts. It hurts everyone, but if we are going to have professional hockey teams competing to be the best , then this kind of sacrifice has a rational framework.

God bless you Josh and thank you for every slapshot you stared down for the team and community you loved and served so well. A theologian I like speaks about the three qualities of human life, and the mastery of these essential properties. The realm of the physical; the realm of the spiritual , or intellectual , and the highest; the realm of love, the transcendent. You're one of the transcendents Josh, a true first.