Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

On René Bourque - I honestly believe he earned himself another shot during the playoffs with his 8 goals in 17 games.

Ha ha, that's Bourque for ya - earning Second Chances since 1982. The guy is a useless bum, let's face facts.

On René Bourque - I honestly believe he earned himself another shot during the playoffs with his 8 goals in 17 games.

Bourque is one of those players, that teases you before he craps on your misplaced confidence. Hopefully he has fooled some other teams (cough cough - Dale Tallon) and we can pickup a draft pick, or he can be part of a package for a guy like Kane.

Looks like mb is cutting the small guys and up grading the size of this team.

let's hope so!

let's hope so!

So long as he learned from this year's playoffs - You cannot sacrifice speed for size. Size is good, but only as long as you're equally fast or faster than the other guy. Speed beats size. We beat Boston, who outweighed us by 20 lbs a player. We lost to the Rangers as they outhustled and outskated us.

Deryk Engelland gets $2.9 million per year for 3 years from Calgary. Ouch. When I saw $2.9 M, I thought that was the total for the 3 years.

this signing makes the Gilbert signing look brilliant! Flames sure are still messed up!

When asked if the habs would be willing to take a small step backwards next year to have the kids on the D play more minutes, Bergevin said that the habs would be willing to do that!

I like this. The Habs are determined to give the kids on the D a REAL chance this year!

When asked if the habs would be willing to take a small step backwards next year to have the kids on the D play more minutes, Bergevin said that the habs would be willing to do that!

I like this. The Habs are determined to give the kids on the D a REAL chance this year!

hence, the reason for moving gorges

So, in the end, we're still lacking a 1st line W and a real 3rd Dman, we lost our Captain and an Assistant. Right ?

I think this is addition by subtraction. Can still trade for a top 6 winger by moving Pleks and some of our depth forwards - we have a glut of 3rd/4th liners right now.

This was a team that came within 2 wins of getting to the Stanley Cup Final. We are NOT in rebuilding mode. This is not the time to sacrifice a couple years to train up some snot-nosed Hamilton brats. This is the time to push for 25.

I don't think Gionta and Gorges are the glue that held the team together. That is obviously just my opinion, and i'm not putting down Gorges or Gionta. They were good players, but overpaid for what they do on the ice.

I think Price, Markov, Pleks, to some degree Subban (in a different way) are the leaders of this team.

Weaver was excellent and back for one more, and Malhotra from all reports is an excellent leader and hard worker.

So, in the end, we're still lacking a 1st line W and a real 3rd Dman, we lost our Captain and an Assistant. Right ?

I still think the team is better than it was yesterday, and last year. We haven't lost our true leadership pieces, just the old regime.... We still have the core pieces, and we have got rid of bad contracts, improved at RW and on defense in terms of ability. Add a 2nd rounder, and a bit of cap space, and we have more skill in our depth, on D and forward. No gigantic improvements, but a lot to be positive about....

Habs29, I could see the "addition by subtraction" argument if we had cleared up cap space to sign a stud. But we haven't signed any stud. It also becomes addition by subtraction if Beaulieu (or whoever) is ready to eat top-4 minutes - I happily grant that and hope it happens.

But all this stuff about it being "addition by subtraction" because at some future point we might trade Plekenc or whatever for some magical elite W is just sheer wish-fulfillment. I might as well say me divorcing my wife is "addition by subtraction" because it may clear the path for me eventually marrying Angelina Jolie someday. The two are completely unconnected.

Moving Gorges for Gilbert is not "addition by subtraction." Gorges is not Ribeiro. Quit kidding yourself.

I hope it works out, though, obviously. That said, outside observers looking at these moves are probably puzzled to see the Habs cheerfully showing so much leadership the door for so little obvious return.

Still some questions to be answered.

Is the idea to still move Galchenyuk to centre? If so a centre has to be moved. Maybe cap space opens up but the top free agents are gone and trading one these centres alone doesnt bring back a reliable top 6 winger.

If Galchenyuk moves to centre, leftwing weakens and requires a top 6 forward. Bourques playoff run and the Parenteau fleecing of Colorado are feelgood stories but these two cant be counted on for 20+ goals each.

Or is the idea keeping the centres and Galchenyuk on the wing, which deepens the wing, but is there enough ability to score goals anyways? This seems to be what Bergevin is saying....since he stated he wants the younger players to step up. But what if they dont? He cant wait till the trade deadline again. He wont have the caproom after Subban gets ~$9 Million and Eller gets ~$3 Million, and they could very well be out of the playoffs by then anyways.

So is it packaging a centre for a top 6 winger or going with the current roster?

• Upvote 1

kaos, I think we're still playoff-calibre. Much will depend on how the blueline pans out, though.

It seems that Bergevin really has his hopes pinned on the Czech kid up front. If he works out, the whole forward equation looks at lot stronger.

Brad Richards to CHI. This will be interesting to see how he fits on their cap considering they're already over the cap. That's a good fit though, there's a decent #2 C.

Edit: $2 million for 1 year, that's a very nice pickup, one of the better ones of the day.