Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Overall, I can't say I'm that happy. Look ay what Vanek did to this team during the season. We need that top line winger IMO. Besides parenteau we added scraps. Where is the toughness in this Montreal lineup? White, Parros,Murray, basically Moen all gone..

Sorry, but we are actually a better team with the "snot nosed Hamilton brats". This isn't the late 80's/early 90's where Savard traded or let walk Robinson, Ludwig, green, chelios, Desjardins for nothing or 10 cents on the dollar. We kept our top 3 Dmen and made room for our up and coming ones.

Now we have to clear the glut at centre (pleks) and the extra role forwards for a top line winger.

This was a team that came within 2 wins of getting to the Stanley Cup Final. We are NOT in rebuilding mode. This is not the time to sacrifice a couple years to train up some snot-nosed Hamilton brats. This is the time to push for 25.

Guest Stogey24

Sorry, but we are actually a better team with the "snot nosed Hamilton brats". This isn't the late 80's/early 90's where Savard traded or let walk Robinson, Ludwig, green, chelios, Desjardins for nothing or 10 cents on the dollar. We kept our top 3 Dmen and made room for our up and coming ones.

Now we have to clear the glut at centre (pleks) and the extra role forwards for a top line winger.

I'm not exactly for it, but I think we're going to see Tomas Plekanec as the next captain of the Habs. I doubt he's getting traded

Raise your hand if you thought Gorges and Gionta would be gone today?

I always thought they could do better, but it's hard to part with the vets. One thing is for sure, this isn't the PG/JM administration where being a veteran counts as much as top-line skill.

Overall, I think this is an excellent few days for the Habs. There's going to be a different feel to the locker room without Gio/Gorges/Budaj (most likely). Hopefully guys like Subban, Pacioretty, Price and Plekanec can step up the leadership. For me, I don't care what Gionta says, no one is better to wear the C than Andrei Markov. I can't believe he hasn't already been named Captain. I remember hearing he turned it down, then he was hurt for seemingly forever. He seems to be bringing a mean streak in his old age.

Sekac, I like having that wild card. Gilbert and Parenteau will outscore Gorges and Gionta, that's for sure. I'm still looking for a goon, but if the Engelland contract is any indication, they were too expensive today. Oh well, a goon can be gotten any time.

Interesting to think of the opening night lineup versus last year:

Last year

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

Moen-Prust-Parros

Markov-Subban

Gorges-Diaz

Tinordi-Bouillon

1/3 of that lineup won't be there. That's a lot of roster turnover for a conference finals year.

Probably Opening Night Lineup:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau

Sekac-Eller-Bourque

Prust-Malhotra-Weise

(Bournival/Moen)

Markov-Subban

Gilbert-Emelin

Beaulieu-Weaver

(Tinordi/Pateryn/Drewiske)

Some serious size in the 7D hole, lol.

I do believe that they need Tinordi in there, or an enforcer. There aren't enough guys who can fight in that lineup. I know, but we forget what early season hockey is like. Last year we had five fights in the first game, and imo, we dusted the Leafs. Who doesn't want to see that again? (Minus the Parros Incident).

I'm not exactly for it, but I think we're going to see Tomas Plekanec as the next captain of the Habs. I doubt he's getting traded

I think Markov will be the next captain.

What about Subban?

I think that Subban is the future Captain, but now that Markov is signed for 3 years, i just can't see them giving the captaincy to anyone but him. Markov is a lot more vocal (and cranky) then he used to be and seeing Pleks take the stupid penalties he did take and the idiotic diving penalties, i just can't see the habs giving the captaincy to someone who has a penchant for taking those type types of penalties.

I hope to see one more trade or addition by subtraction a la Bergevin.

Moen, Bourque & maybe Emelin IF Beaulieu AND Tinordi are ready for regular minutes. I have a feeling that they already know the answer to that IF.

Pacioretty Desharnais Parenteau

Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher

Sekac Plekanec Vrbata/Trade

Prust Malhotra Weise

Bournival

Tinordi Subban

Markov Gilbert

Beaulieu Weaver

Drewiske Pateryn

Bourque & Moen combined are a serviceable $4.35M in cap space. Great for a team looking to reach the cap floor. Funds that I don't see Zoot leaving tied up in these two guys, imo.

What about Mike Ribiero? Could be a steal signing a la Havlat... helping facilitate a Plekanec trade.. I like that anything is possible with Bergevin to make the team better, deeper and balanced.

Markov for Captain! Then.. PK will be ready.

I hope to see one more trade or addition by subtraction a la Bergevin.

Moen, Bourque & maybe Emelin IF Beaulieu AND Tinordi are ready for regular minutes. I have a feeling that they already know the answer to that IF.

Pacioretty Desharnais Parenteau

Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher

Sekac Plekanec Vrbata/Trade

Prust Malhotra Weise

Bournival

Tinordi Subban

Markov Gilbert

Beaulieu Weaver

Drewiske Pateryn

Bourque & Moen combined are a serviceable $4.35M in cap space. Great for a team looking to reach the cap floor. Funds that I don't see Zoot leaving tied up in these two guys, imo.

What about Mike Ribiero? Could be a steal signing a la Havlat... helping facilitate a Plekanec trade.. I like that anything is possible with Bergevin to make the team better, deeper and balanced.

Markov for Captain! Then.. PK will be ready.

of all the ex-habs that could be back, i really don't EVER want to go back to the future with that little punk Ribeiro!!

What about Mike Ribiero? Could be a steal signing a la Havlat... helping facilitate a Plekanec trade.. I like that anything is possible with Bergevin to make the team better, deeper and balanced

Arizona GM said that Ribeiro was bought out due to Behavioral issues not because of the cap. So definitly no thanks on him.

Arizona GM said that Ribeiro was bought out due to Behavioral issues not because of the cap. So definitly no thanks on him.

Have him live with Scott Mellanby lol..

I'd take Heatley over Bourque.

of all the ex-habs that could be back, i really don't EVER want to go back to the future with that little punk Ribeiro!!

Neither would I. But if it makes a Plekanec move sustainable to make the roster THAT(Winger value of Plek return) much better. Im not against a 1yr 1M deal until the inevitable Galchenyuk to center situation. For the RIGHT top 6 winger at Plek value.

Good job Brian for the articles all day long. :clap:

Thanks. I think in terms of the number of articles, this is a personal best (I had 4 two years ago on July 1 - Bouillon, Armstrong, Prust, and AHL signings). This has been a long day (and I'm not even touching the on-site player profiles today...or anytime soon). Here's hoping if there's a signing to be made tomorrow, it waits until the afternoon at least.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I think in terms of the number of articles, this is a personal best (I had 4 two years ago on July 1 - Bouillon, Armstrong, Prust, and AHL signings). This has been a long day (and I'm not even touching the on-site player profiles today...or anytime soon). Here's hoping if there's a signing to be made tomorrow, it waits until the afternoon at least.

:clap:

Good job Brian for the articles all day long. :clap:

:clap:

I agree. How many people were skeptical of Subban when he was coming up? Its time to make room for the kids on defense.

My guess is Markov gets the 'C' with Plekanec and Subban getting the 'A's.

I agree. How many people were skeptical of Subban when he was coming up? Its time to make room for the kids on defense.

My guess is Markov gets the 'C' with Plekanec and Subban getting the 'A's.

I'd give the C to Markov and if we keep Pleks (i'm hoping he will be moved for a top line winger), give him, Subban and MaxPac the A's.

Word is that he pretty much acts like someone who doesn't care about hockey anymore.

In other words, he really hasn't changed much from his last stint in Montreal.

It is a testament to his formidable talent that Ribeiro has carved out as successful a career as he has, given that he seems never to have developed a professional attitude. And, no, we don't need "behavioural problems," especially not on a team undergoing a leadership transition.

Every move Bergevin has made in the last 48 hours has advanced stats finger prints all over them.

Parenteau is far superior to Briere... far, far superior.
Gilbert is a small upgrade on Gorges for much cheaper.
Malholtra is a big upgrade on Ryan White.
Weaver was far ahead of Bouillion and Murray.