Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

Keep in mind that assuming PK signs for about 8 million, and Eller signs for about 3 million, and if Budaj is traded and replaced with Tokarski, the Habs will have around 5 million in cap space left...

BUT keep in mind that next season Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi will all require raises and we currently have no expiring contracts this season outside of Mike Weaver's $1.75 mill and Malhotra's $850k.

I can totally see Bergevin being done with the team as it is (probable Budaj deal pending). Maybe he'll sign a depth forward for insurance if Sekac starts in Hamilton. There's a slightly less chance he trades a roster player or two for another RW.

Good job Brian for the articles all day long. :clap:

Thanks for all the hard work keeping us informed, spent all day on this site to see what was up, really, great job, great site for Habs fans!

Keep in mind that assuming PK signs for about 8 million, and Eller signs for about 3 million, and if Budaj is traded and replaced with Tokarski, the Habs will have around 5 million in cap space left...

BUT keep in mind that next season Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi will all require raises and we currently have no expiring contracts this season outside of Mike Weaver's $1.75 mill and Malhotra's $850k.

I can totally see Bergevin being done with the team as it is (probable Budaj deal pending). Maybe he'll sign a depth forward for insurance if Sekac starts in Hamilton. There's a slightly less chance he trades a roster player or two for another RW.

And, there's nothing wrong with keeping a bit of empty cap space. Who will be this year's Thomas Vanek at the deadline? You do need room to make that type of move.

Word is that Vrbata will likely decide today. It's worth noting that he's back home in the Czech Republic so if there is a decision coming today, it'll be in the next few hours (unless he's choosing a team at 2 AM local time). Montreal, New Jersey, Tampa, Boston, San Jose, and Arizona have all been linked to him. New Jersey and Montreal are thought of as the front runners but I think that's pure speculation at this point.

Word is that Vrbata will likely decide today. It's worth noting that he's back home in the Czech Republic so if there is a decision coming today, it'll be in the next few hours (unless he's choosing a team at 2 AM local time). Montreal, New Jersey, Tampa, Boston, San Jose, and Arizona have all been linked to him. New Jersey and Montreal are thought of as the front runners but I think that's pure speculation at this point.

New Jersey would have an insane glut of wingers if they signed Vrbata. We're talking Jagr, Cammalleri, Clowe, Ryder and Brunner. Then you have Elias who is more naturally suited at wing but they sometimes play him at center. Then they've been playing Henrique on LW instead of center. And heck they signed Havlat too!

If we sign Vrbata we'd trade a forward, right? what's the likelihood of us moving one now?

Bourque is the only one I could see us trading. His value may be slightly inflated after his outstanding playoff performance this year.

I like that we're going to have an all-Czech line:

Sekac-Plekanec-Vrbata

MB is finally giving Plex some wingers... from his home country!

You say that with such confidence...almost as if it had already been announced or something.

Grabovski signs with the Islanders, 4 years, $5 million per. Take that, Oilers!

lets see now he has been dumped once- montreal Bought out once- leafs- dumped again - washington- and now hits rock bottom -the islanders, how long before he gets bought out this time?

lets see now he has been dumped once- montreal Bought out once- leafs- dumped again - washington- and now hits rock bottom -the islanders, how long before he gets bought out this time?

He didn't get dumped by the Caps, who couldn't keep him, and his buyout was pretty contested by Leafs fans. He's worth his contract. I'd rather have Pleks for that money, of course.

I don't mind what the Islanders did. They now have actual offensive depth, something they've been lacking for a while. Their D still needs a bit of work but this is a step in the right direction for them.

On the Vrbata front, nothing will happen until tomorrow at the least. You have to figure the longer this plays out, the more expensive it's going to be...and the less likely that it will be a good contract.

On the Vrbata front, nothing will happen until tomorrow at the least. You have to figure the longer this plays out, the more expensive it's going to be...and the less likely that it will be a good contract.

...or not. He has agreed to terms with Vancouver. 2 years, $5 M per. The Habs would have had a hard time working that much money under the cap.

$5m/yr? Holy, seems a lot and glad didn't sign him at that.

(but I wouldnt know Vrbata if I fell over him and cant recall his play at all, so maybe $5m is OK?).

There's two schools of thought on Vrbata.

(1) He's managed respectable goal and point totals every year on a crappy team (Phoenix). On a good team, he'd excel. Seriously, he's ranged between 19 and 35 goals (19, 20, 24, 27, 35) for five of the last 7 seasons (and the only times he didn't were the lockout-shortened season (12), and 2008 when he mostly played in the KHL for some reason. He's gotten 62 points at his best, with 29 assists one year on a really lousy Phoenix team.

(2) He's gotten an inflated amount of ice time because he's a decent player on a crappy team. On a good team, he'd play less, and have fewer points as a consequence.

Five millon a year for him is not that bad, really, if (1) is true. If it's (2), that's going to be an anchor that weighs Vancouver down.

Teams like Vancouver are basically playing tiddly-winks hoping they can get some young talent to develop. Gillis left that organization in a depleted state. Once Van decided it didn't want to tank (which I respect, even though it makes their job of rebuilding harder) it made sense to throw inflated dollars at guys like Vrbata and Miller on 2-3 year deals. It's almost a low-rent version of what Gainey did with Rebuild 2.0, where he hired a ton of UFAs as placeholders until the Paciorettys and Subbans of the world were ready to take over.

Too bad, though, because our FW configurations still seem a bit "iffy"...as Commandant's imagined Enigma Line (Sacek-Eller-Bourque) illustrates.

Every move Bergevin has made in the last 48 hours has advanced stats finger prints all over them.

Parenteau is far superior to Briere... far, far superior.

Gilbert is a small upgrade on Gorges for much cheaper.

Malholtra is a big upgrade on Ryan White.

Weaver was far ahead of Bouillion and Murray.

You watch the Kings, and their possession game, and it's hard not to envy it.

But, beware. Nothing last forever, especially systems play in sports. How good did tika-taka look for Spain this month?

Teams eventually adjust, much like they did versus the Bruins, with the shot blocking (and a lot of help from Price).

I am happy to see the Habs (finally) following the trends of the league.

It seems funny that at 33 years of age I have never heard of him, and I spend a lot of time on hockey. But at 60 maybe I have allzzies.

For the past 7 seasons he has mostly been in Phoenix: the graveyard of unnoticed players.

For the past 7 seasons he has mostly been in Phoenix: the graveyard of unnoticed players.

Thanks Trizzak. that is an excellent excuse even if I have Alllzzzies

It is funny how anyone close to donning the red, white and blue becomes the best thing since sliced bread; however if they go the other way they are an insignificant piece of sh't. Vrbata is worth that money. We missed out. On to plan B.

didnt vrbata go to Tampa a few years back a really suck it up? them he went back to Phoenix and played great again. I would stay away from him, I didn't want him in the first place

didnt vrbata go to Tampa a few years back a really suck it up? them he went back to Phoenix and played great again. I would stay away from him, I didn't want him in the first place

Yep, me too Dave!