Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

"My uneducated opinion from afar: MTL likes, maybe really likes, Subban but doesn't LOVE him. And you have to LOVE someone at 8 x $8-9M+ per." Bob McKenzie.

"More importantly, I guess, IF Subban doesn't feel the love from MTL, how eager is he to re-up there for eight years? Gonna be interesting." Ibid.

So is it still possible a deal could be reached before the arbitrators decision? Or does it seem like negotiations have come to a stand still?

While the latter is true, there's always a chance for cooler and smarter heads to prevail.

So what's Bergevin's game plan for the franchise? As the team is configured, they aren't good enough to win the Stanley Cup. This is MB's third off season, and he hasn't made a major trade, or signed FA's that aren't stop gaps. The kids are here. Aside from Scherbak, there isn't a game breaking forward in the entire system. We can expect improvements from Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi, but that doesn't make this team a contender.

Now he's made the disastrous move to go to arbitration with his best player. What's he trying to do? Become the late 80's Bruins? A team that pinched pennies but did just enough to get fricasseed in the SCF. Very puzzling.

Where do you get disastrous and is 100% on Bergevin?

You think Meehan is tossing softball deals that any sane GM would bite on? Subban is a superstar and would really help agent stockpile another huge pile of $$ off him.

Maybe the 72m, 9 x 8 deal already rejected by Subban? Not enough for the best d-man in the NHL!

Subban says I want to be a Hab For Life (while puppetmaster Meehan is smiling) meanwhile the are squeezing the Habs for every last cent.

Just don't get the 'DUMB GM' card most are tossing out there, Bergevin isn't stupid and most seem to be just making kooky assumptions.

• Upvote 3

So what's Bergevin's game plan for the franchise? As the team is configured, they aren't good enough to win the Stanley Cup. This is MB's third off season, and he hasn't made a major trade, or signed FA's that aren't stop gaps. The kids are here. Aside from Scherbak, there isn't a game breaking forward in the entire system. We can expect improvements from Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi, but that doesn't make this team a contender.

Now he's made the disastrous move to go to arbitration with his best player. What's he trying to do? Become the late 80's Bruins? A team that pinched pennies but did just enough to get fricasseed in the SCF. Very puzzling.

If MB trades Subban that's potentially $8M per year that he can use to get a sniper forward and/or a stud defenceman. I believe what Bob McKenzie wrote in that the Habs don't "love" PK is true. My guess is they'd rather have McDonagh and Kreider than Subban. Maybe that's what MB thinks he can replace PK with: two very, very good players that make the team better and more rounded. But what do I know about what MB is thinking...

Where do you get disastrous and is 100% on Bergevin?

You think Meehan is tossing softball deals that any sane GM would bite on? Subban is a superstar and would really help agent stockpile another huge pile of $$ off him.

Maybe the 72m, 9 x 8 deal already rejected by Subban? Not enough for the best d-man in the NHL!

Subban says I want to be a Hab For Life (while puppetmaster Meehan is smiling) meanwhile the are squeezing the Habs for every last cent.

Just don't get the 'DUMB GM' card most are tossing out there, Bergevin isn't stupid and most seem to be just making kooky assumptions.

I believe that Subban would sign 8 x $9M but it's Bergevin who won't do that. My guess is maybe he thinks the comparables are Karlsson, Vlasic, McDonagh and Peitrangelo. All make $6.5M/year or less. I think MB is willing to do 8 x $6.5M and nothing more. Maybe Carey Price's $6.5M/year is the ceiling?

Yeah, I don't support this "Bergevin is a bad manager, or he only has grade 10, and it's all his fault" scenario. Bullsh!t!

At the end of the day. Bergevin is in place to manage the team, and he has my trust in this and any other issue. There is no I in team, and Bergevin knows this, as per his resume and career in the NHL.

So much blind faith in Subban that it's almost funny.... I agree he is a great player, and I'd hate to see him go, or even not signed long term, but after his hold out, and Meehan's reputation, I doubt it's all Bergevin's fault....

We'll know after these 48 hours pass how strained the relationship is.

Maybe it's just to decide his salary starting point, and we really do have a whole year to get the long term deal done....

• Upvote 2

Subban definitely has vast majority of support from fan, that is for sure.

Not sure if that is normal for a Superstar during contract negotiations?

I am really not too concerned about contract, but the over-the-top reaction from many is quite soething to say the least (but not unexpected, as per Subban not making Olympic roster reaction)

I read too much similar drivel like this during the "in Gainey we trust years" despite incredibly stupid moves like the Gomez trade. Bottom line MB could have had Subban for 8 years at $6m 2 years ago and fxcked up and now looks to be trying for the same deal. I'd say that was a very UNEDUCATED grade 10 gamble and now the Habs are paying for it.

I bet all 29 GM's in the league would sign Subban for 9.5m/8 yrs without blinking. I'm sur if subban's name was Sebastian lebeau, molson would be demanding MB sign Subban.

Yeah, I don't support this "Bergevin is a bad manager, or he only has grade 10, and it's all his fault" scenario. Bullsh!t!

At the end of the day. Bergevin is in place to manage the team, and he has my trust in this and any other issue. There is no I in team, and Bergevin knows this, as per his resume and career in the NHL.

So much blind faith in Subban that it's almost funny.... I agree he is a great player, and I'd hate to see him go, or even not signed long term, but after his hold out, and Meehan's reputation, I doubt it's all Bergevin's fault....

Maybe it's just to decide his salary starting point, and we really do have a whole year to get the long term deal done....

Bottom line MB could have had Subban for 8 years at $6m 2 years ago and fxcked up and now looks to be trying for the same deal.

And where's the proof for this? The report is that he wanted 5 years, not 8 and there's no way he'd have taken an amount similar to the asking price on that 5 year term. 5 was to set him up precisely for early UFA.

That is what is odd, is that, not one of us know what SPECIFIC #s were tossed back and forth, but we make assumptions that it is MB as Black Bart and not Lone Ranger 'do nothing wrong' Subban who is playing hard ball and demanding double-digit #/yr as the #1 d-man in the NHL.

I think he will be a Hab for a long time.

But nice to coincide with the dullest time in summer for NHL crap. Saint PK fans are ready to get ptichforks out and mob MB's homestead.

I read too much similar drivel like this during the "in Gainey we trust years" despite incredibly stupid moves like the Gomez trade. Bottom line MB could have had Subban for 8 years at $6m 2 years ago and fxcked up and now looks to be trying for the same deal. I'd say that was a very UNEDUCATED grade 10 gamble and now the Habs are paying for it.

I bet all 29 GM's in the league would sign Subban for 9.5m/8 yrs without blinking. I'm sur if subban's name was Sebastian lebeau, molson would be demanding MB sign Subban.

You read no such "drivel" from me about how great Gainey was as a GM. And you quote me and cry drivel, then follow it with that piece about what Habs could've signed him for 2 years ago? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yep, like you know for sure!

Speaking of drivel...

I think what really is drivel, is your taking shots at Bergevin about his education, it's totally uncalled for, and inaccurate imho, I think he has pieced together quite a life and career, education comes in many forms, and from many different schools....

Two years ago, there was no way Subban was going to get more than Karlsson or Tavares, the Habs at that point had leverage to add on additional years if they were going to give him Karlsson type money. But for whatever reason, MB played hardball with his biggest sure thing young player.

And where's the proof for this? The report is that he wanted 5 years, not 8 and there's no way he'd have taken an amount similar to the asking price on that 5 year term. 5 was to set him up precisely for early UFA.

That is what is odd, is that, not one of us know what SPECIFIC #s were tossed back and forth, but we make assumptions that it is MB as Black Bart and not Lone Ranger 'do nothing wrong' Subban who is playing hard ball and demanding double-digit #/yr as the #1 d-man in the NHL.

I think he will be a Hab for a long time.

But nice to coincide with the dullest time in summer for NHL crap. Saint PK fans are ready to get ptichforks out and mob MB's homestead.

Yeah I think PK is the consummate performer in public but may be totally different in negotiations. I lost a lot of respect for him when he held out last time. That to me was pure greed and he did not really have a leg to stand on. It was just dumm. The funny part was that MB back loaded the deal to show PK that the next contract would be a lot bigger. I think he took that a little too seriously. MB thought they could start negotiating at the 3.5 mill or what ever it was. and now we sit here talking 8.5 million. Meehan is known to be an SOB when it comes to negotiating, so I am glad we MB taking our side cause if it were BOB he would have caved by now and PK would be making 12 mill a year.

I'm saying that defense if MB now is like the kind of drivel defense there was for Gainey whose every move seemed infallible.

Last year MB signed a washed up Briere to a two yr 8m deal which most defended. The original Subban bridge deal was thought to be great move when EVERY other GM was trying to lock up their young players before the lockout.

You read no such "drivel" from me about how great Gainey was as a GM. And you quote me and cry drivel, then follow it with that piece about what Habs could've signed him for 2 years ago? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yep, like you know for sure!

Speaking of drivel...

I think what really is drivel, is your taking shots at Bergevin about his education, it's totally uncalled for, and inaccurate imho, I think he has pieced together quite a life and career, education comes in many forms, and from many different schools....

If MB trades Subban that's potentially $8M per year that he can use to get a sniper forward and/or a stud defenceman. I believe what Bob McKenzie wrote in that the Habs don't "love" PK is true. My guess is they'd rather have McDonagh and Kreider than Subban. Maybe that's what MB thinks he can replace PK with: two very, very good players that make the team better and more rounded. But what do I know about what MB is thinking...

Those players don't exist in free agency anymore. You can get guys who have 1-3 great years left, like Brad Richards, or players that are flawed like Vanek. Or, you just get ripped and gyped like the Jackets with Wisniewski.

What's worse is that his value is much lower without a deal. Instead of getting a 2012/2014 caliber 1st overall or a guy like Taylor Hall or Seguin, we're looking picks, prospects and potentials.

MB sucks. With the exception of the Vanek trade, the only fans who like him are the fans that would frankly like any GM.

I was on his side, or at least had an open mind with the holdout. This is two in a row. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Meehan is a closer. He just lost millions on this deal. Do you think he wants to make 10% or whatever on a 7 million dollar deal, or a 50 million dollar deal?

Two years ago, there was no way Subban was going to get more than Karlsson or Tavares, the Habs at that point had leverage to add on additional years if they were going to give him Karlsson type money. But for whatever reason, MB played hardball with his biggest sure thing young player.

That's fair. However, it doesn't mean that Subban wanted that or would have taken it. Therefore, it can't be stated as a fact that he would have taken eight years at $6 million per.

Hey, two years ago, I posted here I'd give him up to $7m on on 8 year deal post lockout., but I'm pretty sure we could have got him for less prior to his Nprris. He was a sure thing. That would be a bargain today.

I also said prior to the lockout when players were nervous and front loaded deals were still allowed, that we should lock him up for 12 to 14 years - that's the age to give those types of deals - makes much more sense than giving it to a 27 year old Suter or parise.

That's fair. However, it doesn't mean that Subban wanted that or would have taken it. Therefore, it can't be stated as a fact that he would have taken eight years at $6 million per.

I have to side with MB on this one. The Meehan/Subban combo is all about establishing a personal PK empire. He wants to be on lunchboxes, T-shirts, daytime TV etc. etc. He doesn't want to build a championship team. If he did, this deal would be done and we'd have cap room to make more significant maneouvers.

Sign him for 9 mill at 8 years and ship him to EDM for their next two first rounders and whatever throw-in players. Hope you like the arctic circle PK.

I have to side with MB on this one. The Meehan/Subban combo is all about establishing a personal PK empire. He wants to be on lunchboxes, T-shirts, daytime TV etc. etc. He doesn't want to build a championship team. If he did, this deal would be done and we'd have cap room to make more significant maneouvers.

Sign him for 9 mill at 8 years and ship him to EDM for their next two first rounders and whatever throw-in players. Hope you like the arctic circle PK.

So Kane and Towes who both signed for $10M each are about empire building as well??? If you want to sign players at discounted rates, you need to sign them out of their entry level contracts, like Tavares , McDonough and Karlsson were signed. If you want to play hardball TWICE, you are going to pay for it.

My fear from Subban's "this was a lesson" comments is that he's gone in two years (if not traded earlier) ans i can see him really screwing the habs to get back at MB by signing with key rivals like the Leafs (going back home) or the Bruins (where his brother will probably be playing by then).

So Kane and Towes who both signed for $10M each are about empire building as well??? If you want to sign players at discounted rates, you need to sign them out of their entry level contracts, like Tavares , McDonough and Karlsson were signed. If you want to play hardball TWICE, you are going to pay for it.

My fear from Subban's "this was a lesson" comments is that he's gone in two years (if not traded earlier) ans i can see him really screwing the habs to get back at MB by signing with key rivals like the Leafs (going back home) or the Bruins (where his brother will probably be playing by then).

I wouldn't mention Kane and Toews, Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe Winners, in the same breath as PK. They've shown their ultimate worth and reaped the appropriate rewards.

I wouldn't mention Kane and Toews, Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe Winners, in the same breath as PK. They've shown their ultimate worth and reaped the appropriate rewards.

they also played with a MUCH better supporting cast than Subban (Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Sharp, Hjarmallson) and had a MUCH better coach.

I think you can also expect the next crop of young superstars all signing in the $10M+ range. you can't compare contracts with lower annual averages that were signed in the old CBA (with a lower cap), with what players are going to be signing for going forward.

I'll buy ticket to Montreal and kill Bergevin if we lose Subban. Is that really difficult to sign one of our best players who want to be Hab for a life?

I hope he will sign him in near future (24 hours) and everyone will be happy.