Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

UFA on July 1, 2016

Subban becomes a UFA in 1yr. or 2 yrs?----pending contract.

I hate to say it, but the smart thing for Subban to do is just go to the arbiter again next year and go UFA. Who wants to go through three major contract negotiations in three and a half years?

A team like Florida, who is in desperate need for a superstar will throw "Pavel Bure" money at Subban for 4-5 years, then Subban can chase the Cup in his early and late thirties.

Coincidentally, the NHL Network showed the game when Roy returned to MTL last night. If nothing else, the team can't get worse than that. That team was completely mismananged. The defense was Peter Popovic, Stephan Quintal, Murray Baron, Malakhov, Jassen Cullimore and David Wilkie. Not a single puck mover!

The game was 7-2, and I enjoyed the look of increasing anxiety on Tremblay's face. The only real highlight was Murray Baron beating the crap out of Mike Keane.

UFA on July 1, 2016

If Subban gets to UFA on this date, the NYR will offer him $13.5M for 7 years. He will be the face of Broadway and elevate the Rangers above the Yankees and Knicks in that city.

I have to side with MB on this one. The Meehan/Subban combo is all about establishing a personal PK empire. He wants to be on lunchboxes, T-shirts, daytime TV etc. etc. He doesn't want to build a championship team. If he did, this deal would be done and we'd have cap room to make more significant maneouvers.

Sign him for 9 mill at 8 years and ship him to EDM for their next two first rounders and whatever throw-in players. Hope you like the arctic circle PK.

If you are going to that, let him go out next year and sign an offer sheet, if he is disenchanted with Montreal. This way, Subban is happy, you decide if offer is fair or you take home multiple first round choices (like 5) and you use the money you saved on bringing in a top free agent. The bigger picture on Meehan, is that he wants to set the bar for all free agents not just Subban.

If you are going to that, let him go out next year and sign an offer sheet, if he is disenchanted with Montreal. This way, Subban is happy, you decide if offer is fair or you take home multiple first round choices (like 5) and you use the money you saved on bringing in a top free agent. The bigger picture on Meehan, is that he wants to set the bar for all free agents not just Subban.

Look up the Scott Stevens trade. Five first round picks aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Subban doesn't need to sign an offer sheet. He will get 7.5m to 8m from the arbitrator this year. That means his qualifying offer next year will be around $8.5m. If Subban wants out from a situation where the coach and GM clearly don't value him, why would he risk being stuck in the same position like Weber was???

Even if he just maintains his current performance, being a UFA in 2016, he will easily get at least $11m. MB is a moron to let it come to this. This is worse than for Savard, or Roy for peanuts bad. In Subban, you have a future superstar who actually wants to stay in Montreal, and MB plays these bullshit games???

Let's say for arguments sake, Subban took a $12m offer sheet next year. What are the chances the 5 first round picks are going to be a high pick once Subban is on that team??

Look up the Scott Stevens trade. Five first round picks aren't all they're cracked up to be.

100% agree.

This is where Molson needs to grow a pair and tell his GM to get it done now, or show the 10th grade education idiot the door.

Subban doesn't need to sign an offer sheet. He will get 7.5m to 8m from the arbitrator this year. That means his qualifying offer next year will be around $8.5m. If Subban wants out from a situation where the coach and GM clearly don't value him, why would he risk being stuck in the same position like Weber was???

Even if he just maintains his current performance, being a UFA in 2016, he will easily get at least $11m. MB is a moron to let it come to this. This is worse than for Savard, or Roy for peanuts bad. In Subban, you have a future superstar who actually wants to stay in Montreal, and MB plays these bullshit games???

Let's say for arguments sake, Subban took a $12m offer sheet next year. What are the chances the 5 first round picks are going to be a high pick once Subban is on that team??

100% agree.

This is where Molson needs to grow a pair and tell his GM to get it done now, or show the 10th grade education idiot the door.

A quick note on the QO, when the salary is as high as Subban's will be, there's no percentage increase. His QO will be whatever his salary is for this season.

Also, could you please refrain from calling Bergevin a '10th grade education idiot'? You've made your point already mentioning it several times, move on.

Subban will not get that much from arbitrator.

But keep going, is humerous how worked up some are and I do know several smart dudes who skipped on finishing high school due to need for making a living and putting food on the table, education can be priceless, but formal education system is not for everyone.

But, I disagree that MB seems a dunce, not saying I agree will all his dealings but overall I have confidence he is doing OK to very well.

A quick note on the QO, when the salary is as high as Subban's will be, there's no percentage increase. His QO will be whatever his salary is for this season.

Also, could you please refrain from calling Bergevin a '10th grade education idiot'? You've made your point already mentioning it several times, move on.

I made the point twice.

But the lack of education argument is about as weak as most I see posted.

Who knows, maybe you are 100% correct and Mgmt is just playing hard ball with Subban, that Meehan has even caved in his sky-high demands and just is incredulous that Bergevin wont sign a weaker offer than he first proposed?

Guest Stogey24

A one year deal just puts weight on Subban and Management's shoulders during the regular season. I thinks its a mistake to put this situation into an arbitrators hands. Clearly this organization doesn't have complete faith in Subban. If somehow we lose Subban in the short term or long run over this; that will spell the end of me supporting the Habs until Bergevin is out of the picture. I can promise you there will never be another player with Subban's skill set and work ethic come through Montreal again. The guys who work hard on and off the ice are the players who have success long into their careers....

We're being played. The rumour mill has Bergevin making a substantial last minute offer to the Subban camp (dollar amount and years unspecified) and then being turned down.

Can't wait to see McCarron line up Subban in the corner and take him out for a few months.

A random note, the arbitrator in this case apparently has never presided over an NHL case. However, she has presided over 30 MLB arbitration hearings (where they're not allowed to pick in the middle, they have to side with the player or team outright). Here's her track record for team vs player: http://www3.nd.edu/~lawlib/baseball_salary_arbitration/arbitrators/Neumeier%20Panel%20Decisions.pdf

There's nothing to glean from this really but it speaks to her experience as the oldest MLB case was 15 years ago.

To those of you who say that MB is an uneducated idiot. who can't sign a superstar, which should be easy cause you just give him what he wants,right? You must think the front office of the Habs are collectively stupid, which is not what I have heard about Rick Dudley or Scott Mellanby. I think common sense tells us that if they can't sign him, it is not for a lack of trying. Our front office is a very talented group. I am sure that if they could sign him they would. I have to assume that Meehan whose rep is well known, is the guy playing hard ball. He has a lot of clients and can't be seen to be caving in to any GM. As Brian said it is very possible that Meehan has not put forth his best offer and (the following are my words not Brians) is getting the Habs to negotiate against themselves. We have to remember that it takes 2 to negotiate and generally speaking it takes 1 to fork up the deal. If we think back to the CBA we all knew where it was going to end up but look at how long that took. I think we have a similar situation. PK is listening to his agent (as he should) and his agent is driving this bus. There is a cliff coming. I hope he knows where the brakes are. I also hope he finds them sooon.

This is either an unmitigated Houle-ian disaster bordering on a Harald Ballard Titanic sinkage, or an act of sheer vintage Pollock laced with Lamoriello genius.

Guest Stogey24

To those of you who say that MB is an uneducated idiot. who can't sign a superstar, which should be easy cause you just give him what he wants,right? You must think the front office of the Habs are collectively stupid, which is not what I have heard about Rick Dudley or Scott Mellanby. I think common sense tells us that if they can't sign him, it is not for a lack of trying. Our front office is a very talented group. I am sure that if they could sign him they would. I have to assume that Meehan whose rep is well known, is the guy playing hard ball. He has a lot of clients and can't be seen to be caving in to any GM. As Brian said it is very possible that Meehan has not put forth his best offer and (the following are my words not Brians) is getting the Habs to negotiate against themselves. We have to remember that it takes 2 to negotiate and generally speaking it takes 1 to fork up the deal. If we think back to the CBA we all knew where it was going to end up but look at how long that took. I think we have a similar situation. PK is listening to his agent (as he should) and his agent is driving this bus. There is a cliff coming. I hope he knows where the brakes are. I also hope he finds them sooon.

Subban is a franchise player who has poured everything into the Habs. Look how easily Chicago signed Kane and Towes. If management was that dedicated and in love with Subban he would have a contract

is it possiblr that this entire standoff isn't because of mb, or pk, or molson and is the doing of Meehan? because they went to arbitration and will likely be awarded a 1 year contract, subban will then get to ufa status where meehans paycheck will jump considerably. just a thought

nope..they just agreed to an 8 year contract!! details in a few..

Subban is a franchise player who has poured everything into the Habs. Look how easily Chicago signed Kane and Towes. If management was that dedicated and in love with Subban he would have a contract

and now he does.