How likely is it that Jiri Sekac will start in the lineup?

Neech

11goals in a soft slow defensive KHL isn't screaming guaranteed roster spot on a top NHL team.

11 goals = tied for second on his team for most goals. Top 10 in the KHL last season for goals was 19. He didn't put up 20 goals like Artem Panarin because he didn't have Ilya Kovalchuk on his wing like Panarin did.

I could certainly see Sekac playing in the AHL to start the year but from what I've seen and heard from scouts and on YouTube, he has all of the tools capable of cracking the opening night roster and making an impact on one of our three scoring lines. I'd put him behind Galchenyuk and Scherbak for our forward prospects under 24 and on par with DLR, maybe better because he has more experience. Hockey's Future might like Andrighetto and Hudon more but I think they are out to lunch.

That's all well and good, but Engels isn't a scout. I've been reading him for years, and this is the first time I can remember him talking about a prospect.

Engels is watching the practice and speaking about work ethic before during and after it. It doesn't take that much of a "scouting eye" to say ... woah that guy is trying really hard in all the drills, plus he was going all out when he was first on the ice and last off it.

Engels isn't scouting in the quote I'm encouraged by. He isn't talking about speed, skill, shot, passing, vision, anything of the sort. He is just watching the practice and saying he's impressed by the kid's work ethic. How much of a scout does he have to be to say that?

Agree, Hockey Future top 20 Hab prospects was out to lunch. Someone just mailed in that one.

Always a positive to hear kid is going above and beyond.

Darren Dietz had same comments in Saskatoon, 1st on-last off and showing up for every optional practice he could. (which is why was too bad he started pro with wrist injury and then got shelved for leg injury in new year and basically only played 1/2 season)

I've heard way more good stuff about Sekac than I have heard bad, even Bob Mackenzie said he was a can't miss NHL'er, saying that work ethic and a desire to prove the scouts wrong was his turn around magic from early in his OHL career.

All I can say for sure is I can't wait to see him in some Exhibition games, sure would be good to have a skilled winger added to the team or depth chart.

Interested to see if Hamilton gets a bit better this year as well....

Not very likely without a coaching change.

I've heard way more good stuff about Sekac than I have heard bad, even Bob Mackenzie said he was a can't miss NHL'er, saying that work ethic and a desire to prove the scouts wrong was his turn around magic from early in his OHL career.

All I can say for sure is I can't wait to see him in some Exhibition games, sure would be good to have a skilled winger added to the team or depth chart.

Interested to see if Hamilton gets a bit better this year as well....

Rookies Hudon, Bozon, Carr, de la Rose and maybe Sekac could help Bulldogs, but may not have enough quality vet AHLers on team?

So likely wont be a strong team.

• 4 weeks later...

Judging by what I have seen so far, he is already one of our best forwards. That guy is a complete steal.

BTW, I think that the Bulldogs will do a lot better this year. And Lefebvre will remain head coach.

Judging by what I have seen so far, he is already one of our best forwards. That guy is a complete steal.

BTW, I think that the Bulldogs will do a lot better this year. And Lefebvre will remain head coach.

I can't see both of these coming true. I can see the dogs being marginally better, but can't see a big improvement without a change in coaching.

He is the reason why I think it is time for Lars to move to a shut down winger on the fourth line. Or Centre. I LIKE THE IDEA of Malhotra and him taking defensive zone face offs.

If he makes the team is Bilodeau still on the team. At what point do these guys over take Moen and Prust and Bourque (ice cold or hot?)? With Gorges and and Gionta gone, it's hard to lose leadership, Moen and Prust are likely hurt for half the season, so it probably works it's way out. I am a Bilodeau fan, but he is def a fourth line guy, unless he works on his hands.

Guest Stogey24

He is the reason why I think it is time for Lars to move to a shut down winger on the fourth line. Or Centre. I LIKE THE IDEA of Malhotra and him taking defensive zone face offs.

If he makes the team is Bilodeau still on the team. At what point do these guys over take Moen and Prust and Bourque (ice cold or hot?)? With Gorges and and Gionta gone, it's hard to lose leadership, Moen and Prust are likely hurt for half the season, so it probably works it's way out. I am a Bilodeau fan, but he is def a fourth line guy, unless he works on his hands.

HUH?