2015 NHL Draft thread

Commandant

Guest Stogey24

It's also about pedigree, smarts, leadership and so on throughout career. Its not like general managers are just like oh, he's big, lets draft him.

But you don't need to draft a Boyle early in draft, can be found in free agency for cheap or later in draft.

Same as defensive d-men like Tinordi, dosent pay to draft them early.

D-men normally take years to develop, when can be found on market without spending years in farm system, or just better sought in 2nd-or later rounds.

(Such as solid looking 2nd pick d-men like; Madison Bowey (53), Ville Pokka (34), Damon Severson (60), Ian McCoshen (31), Stephen Johns (60), Xavier Ouelette (48), Steve Santini (42), Ryan Sproul (55), Chris Bigras (32) and Habs did quite well a while back with PK Subban at 43.)

Of course 7 years later you can sign a guy who had top six potential at 18 years old but ended up developing into a bottom six forward.

You sound like you're trying to win an award with yourself on your ability to hindsight draft.

Of course 7 years later you can sign a guy who had top six potential at 18 years old but ended up developing into a bottom six forward.

You sound like you're trying to win an award with yourself on your ability to hindsight draft.

Haha, hard to say that quality defensemen are easy to acquire, and we Hab fans know all about the bottom 6 carousel we have had, they are dime a dozen.

Drafting is a weird business, with many philosophies, but it comes down to what's available, and an organization's plan for the future years.

I like Stogey's attitude on the pedigree, and of course the CHaracter. I also think that in round 1 it should be about the best/most talented player available, then take chances in the later rounds on players that may have a huge upside if developed within a strong system, with a future team need in mind, as well as a future asset for the organization in value.

I like the fact that Montreal has a stable environment right now, with Bergevin seeming to have a philosophy for building a strong team to compete for years to come, through strong drafting.

As far as Bergevin's drafting has been, I still like McCarron's chances to fill a team need down the road, and am excited to see how Sherbak develops, as well as the big defenseman Lernout, and I am confident in Timmons and Bergevin's ability to pick players with both a long term view, and an idea of where the team will be in a couple years.

Asset strength is organizational strength, and in a cap world, it makes is a competitive team year in, year out.

I also think Bergevin has made some smart acquisitions(and some questionable ones) for the roster like Don mentions for filling the holes, but Boyle type pick ups aren't going to be the foundation of anything resembling a perennial true contender.

As long as Timmins avoids the McCarron (Jordan Greenway) and dosent waste picks trading up to get a Tinordi (Brandon Carlo) in 1st round this year, all is fine.

Another Scherbak at 26 and Lernout with 87th pick would be a good deal.

Only 2 recent choices I didn't like at time and still don't; AK46, LL, Fischer many still curse but at least were reasonable even if never panned out.

But taking hulking kids with limited skillset in top 30, no thanks.

Nothing to do with hindsight, even McCarron was surprised to be taken in 1st round. (Hindsight not real good neither, the next pick Shea Theodore was >1PPG in WHL and had 11pts in 9 AHL games last year and looks to be next skilled Duck d-man.)

I'd like all remaining series to go 4 straight so we can get on with the draft and free agency. Let's get this shit over with. :)

Anyone recall noticing Alexander Dergachyov at world juniors?

Big Russian centre who had 4pts in 7gms there and played for them at U-18s also.

Seen ranked anywhere from mid 20s to 50s.

If looking to fill out a full young Russian Habline (which of course if important) of; Scherbak-Dergachyov-Galchenyuk.

Draft interviews start today, combine testing at end of week.

They have separated the two puke-inducing bike tests into two separate days this year. Brought in more agility tests, less push ups and stuff.

dlbalr, is interview list readily available from NHL teams at combine?

I see this or that kid was interviewed by 10 or 15 teams, just wondering if prospects interviewed by Habs is kinda secrative or publically available stuff?

Thanks, got the list of attendees.

Noticed that Jack Roslovic was or is to be interviewed by Columbus and was wondering if was a list.

Do you know if teams typically do lots of interviews and talk to most of combine invites?

(Obviously McDavid, Strome, Eichel other top kids would be mostly waste of time for Habs)

Mitchell Vande Sompel, 26th is too high to take him eh and will for sure be long gone by 87.

To me he seems like a smart versatile player (in couple games I seen of him) and maybe be good target if no Scherbak-like player available at 26 and Habs do trade down for two 2nd picks.

Thanks, got the list of attendees.

Noticed that Jack Roslovic was or is to be interviewed by Columbus and was wondering if was a list.

Do you know if teams typically do lots of interviews and talk to most of combine invites?

(Obviously McDavid, Strome, Eichel other top kids would be mostly waste of time for Habs)

Mitchell Vande Sompel, 26th is too high to take him eh and will for sure be long gone by 87.

To me he seems like a smart versatile player (in couple games I seen of him) and maybe be good target if no Scherbak-like player available at 26 and Habs do trade down for two 2nd picks.

I would imagine teams would interview quite a lot of the attendees. I wouldn't say most but 20 or so wouldn't be crazy, especially if Montreal holds their own combine later on (where they could talk to some of those players at that time).

26 seems way too early to take Vande Sompel. There are other offensive blueliners to take before him that should still be on the board if they want to go that route. He already sees some time up front and I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up there long-term.

As for trading down, that sounds like a good idea. Mind you, I say that just about every time the Habs pick at the back of the 1st round.

McKeen's top-30:

1 Connor McDavid C Erie (OHL) 6-1/195 13-Jan-97

2 Jack Eichel C Boston University (HE) 6-2/195 28-Oct-96

3 Noah Hanifin D Boston College (HE) 6-3/205 25-Jan-97

4 Mitchell Marner C London (OHL) 5-11/160 5-May-97

5 Ivan Provorov D Brandon (WHL) 6-0/195 13-Jan-97

6 Pavel Zacha C Sarnia (OHL) 6-3/210 6-Apr-97

7 Dylan Strome C Erie (OHL) 6-3/190 7-May-97

8 Mikko Rantanen RW TPS Turku (Fin) 6-3/210 29-Oct-96

9 Zach Werenski D Michigan (B1G) 6-2/205 19-Jul-97

10 Lawson Crouse LW Kingston (OHL) 6-4/210 23-Jun-97

11 Mathew Barzal C Seattle (WHL) 5-11/175 26-May-97