2015 NHL Draft thread

Commandant

The draft is a big pile of meh. I'll be there to watch the trades, but all the obsessing and haranguing over teenagers that are 4-5 years away from being pros is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

but of an underestimation of the talent of the first round i think. Even early second. There's some dude named De La Rose who was drafted 2 years ago in the second round who plays regularly in the nhl now. Few more mid-late firsts from that draft? Curtis lazar, Mirco meuller, andre burkakovsky, marko dano, nikita zadorov. Thats ignoring any top 15 talent. The top 10 picks have racked up 485 points together. Point is, first round talent often makes the NHL within 2 years.

Guest Stogey24

but of an underestimation of the talent of the first round i think. Even early second. There's some dude named De La Rose who was drafted 2 years ago in the second round who plays regularly in the nhl now. Few more mid-late firsts from that draft? Curtis lazar, Mirco meuller, andre burkakovsky, marko dano, nikita zadorov. Thats ignoring any top 15 talent. The top 10 picks have racked up 485 points together. Point is, first round talent often makes the NHL within 2 years.

There's a difference between making the NHL and making an impact

Guest Stogey24

And what does that even mean?

Lovette said the draft is boring and I was agreeing to an extent.

All important NHL Combine sizes for 10 forwards who may be that late 1st pick range;

Boeser 6 0.5 191lb

DeBrusk 5'11.75" 174

Gurianov 6'2.5" 183

Sprong 6'0" 180

White 6'0" 183

Yan 6'1.25" 184

Roslovic 6'0.5" 182

Harkins 6'1.25" 182

Chlapik 6'1" 196

Beauvillier 5'10.25" 173

White was most 'agile' overall of all prospects in testing and likely be gone before 26.

Boeser is Bob McKenzie's #26 ranked kid and seems a nice option, supposedly more offensive than 2 way forward... "they" say, Craig Button really likes him and has him 9th.

DeBrusk played with Lernout and was Swift Current's leading scorer and had 13 PPGs on a weak team.

But, if find draft mostly/somewhat boring, why would you bother even looking at thread if not interested? And Lovett said he is even going to attend, which seems very odd if is as fun as watching paint dry?

But is a big event I suppose and maybe he can bend Bergevin's ear and explain to him how dumb it was to sign Petry? :nuts:

Guest Stogey24

But, if find draft mostly/somewhat boring, why would you bother even looking at thread if not interested? And Lovett said he is even going to attend, which seems very odd if is as fun as watching paint dry?

But is a big event I suppose and maybe he can bend Bergevin's ear and explain to him how dumb it was to sign Petry? :nuts:

To an extent I said. Later than second round becomes tiresome. Sorry, is that clear enough for you?

:rofl:

The heights/weights of the players match those of the invite list posted before the combine. The actual measurements are different (some were live tweeted out and differ from this list).

The heights/weights of the players match those of the invite list posted before the combine. The actual measurements are different (some were live tweeted out and differ from this list).

Seemed a bit quick for full list to be posted. But I still assumed it was, not that really matters, just more curious than anything at 'actual present weight/height' vs the varying sizes from various mock drafts/rankings.

Lovette said the draft is boring and I was agreeing to an extent.

Other than a quick look to see who your team took early rounds. What position they are trying to address, if any. Boring premature affair. Ton of hype though. Remember when Galchenyuk was drafted. Headlines, buzz, a star is born, finally habs get center with talent......... now?.....yawn.

To an extent I said. Later than second round becomes tiresome. Sorry, is that clear enough for you?

I agree its tiresome after the second round. But I don't find watching these young players any different than quibbling about current nhlers. We always want talent, and a disappointment can happen mid-career just as easily as before it starts. Example, when we acquired Vanek we thought we finally had our bonafide RW for the playoffs, and well, we know how that went. Bottom line is player evaluation is speculation at all levels of the system. And its the speculation of what could be is what I find so interesting. No these players mostly don't pan out, but where would the fun be if they all did? the disappointments make the successes better, and makes following the prospects that much more fun.

Ok big picture: If the NHL Draft dropped down to 5 rounds..wouldn't it make it harder to actually "make it" to the big league and thus improve on the quality of play league-wide? What with the elimination of goons and one-dimensional players, do we still need 200+ players picked every year? Or will changing the draft elegibility to 19 year olds be less of a gamble? Just spit-balling here...

I don't like age limits. If a kid is good enough to be an NHLer at 18 they should play.

Cutting out rounds, I don't think it's a big deal. If anything I'd like to see teams be able to have more than 50 contracts.

There's more talent in the league than ever before. More players are getting developed.

I like the idea of 19 year old draft elegibility. Jr players get another year to develop and undoubtedly get more quality minutes than a 17-18 year old might. And over in the States, high-school kids will be forced to play one year elsewhere rather than get drafted having only played high school hockey..granted most of these kids do play club as well, but still. This extra year of maturity may limit the number of 1st round busts too but who knows?

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of 19 year old draft elegibility. Jr players get another year to develop and undoubtedly get more quality minutes than a 17-18 year old might. And over in the States, high-school kids will be forced to play one year elsewhere rather than get drafted having only played high school hockey..granted most of these kids do play club as well, but still. This extra year of maturity may limit the number of 1st round busts too but who knows?

what of the guys who have nothing else to learn in the junior ranks? I don't think it would have done Crosby any good, nor Stamkos, Kane, etc. Its harder to make an exception to the rule rather than just a rule. I wouldn't go lower than 18, but for the most part I'm with MOLG, if a kid is good enough he should get his chance.

There are far fewer exceptions to the rule. It has become an anomaly for an 18 year old to make it in the nhl. If a player can play at 18, then you make him the exception as an early entry or something. Everyone else waits until they're 19

There are far fewer exceptions to the rule. It has become an anomaly for an 18 year old to make it in the nhl. If a player can play at 18, then you make him the exception as an early entry or something. Everyone else waits until they're 19

Why make a rule if it's already an anomaly? Most kids when not ready play 8 games then get sent down or don't play at all. It's a complete non-issue.

There's very little wrong with the draft right now. It's the draft lottery/1st overall pick hooplah that's a problem. Everything else is pretty good.

I'd rather have the draft age as 19. For exceptions, without setting an exception process, allow 18 year old to only be draftable in the 1st 10 picks, or only in the first round of the draft.

There are very few 18 year old outside of the first round that make it in their draft year.

• Upvote 1

I'm just saying hypothetically if the NHL were to change to a 19 year old draft, IF an 18 year old was deemed ready, he could be granted an exceptional status and he too could enter the draft. It's not a completely ridiculous idea. The "first round bust" may be fewer and farther between..Unless you're the Mtl Canadiens circa 1988-2004 Haha

I'm just saying hypothetically if the NHL were to change to a 19 year old draft, IF an 18 year old was deemed ready, he could be granted an exceptional status and he too could enter the draft. It's not a completely ridiculous idea.

Who determines whether the player qualifies as ready though? You're going to have NHL teams pushing for the player to be granted entry while others won't want him to. It's a touchy enough issue at the junior level (there was a bit of a contentious one in the QMJHL just a couple of weeks ago) let alone with 30 NHL teams pushing various agendas.