The Habs in Denver, the annual thread update

huzer

• 2 months later...

Hoping for a good effort tonight. We're setting end/balcony/1st row, my preferred seats. We're going to try and get there early to catch practice. We got there early a couple of weeks ago and my son wasn't terribly interested. He may be for Montreal though, as he knows a lot more Habs players than Avs.

• Upvote 1

Hoping for a good effort tonight. We're setting end/balcony/1st row, my preferred seats. We're going to try and get there early to catch practice. We got there early a couple of weeks ago and my son wasn't terribly interested. He may be for Montreal though, as he knows a lot more Habs players than Avs.

We'll expect a full scouting report by morning.

The game was fun, we were there in time for warm ups, got down to the glass. Plex hung out in our little corner, blowing bubbles. My wife commented on how young, and how ugly, most of the players are. Haha. My son was in heaven..."Looks, there's Brendan Gallagher, look it's PK Subban, look it's Tomas Plekanec!!" and on and on. He knows most of the players numbers, and can read numbers, so it was cool to hear him picking out all of the players.

What struck me most was how empty the arena was. The upper bowl was about 50% full it seemed, and there were scores of empty rows in many other sections. Announced attendance was 14,000 and change, and I'd say there were more empty seats that that. Few lines at concessions stands, and the real kicker was no lines in the restrooms. It was weird. Lots of Habs jerseys though. I have a cold, so my vocal power isn't the best, but we tried to get a Go Habs Go chant going a few times.

• 10 months later...

The Habs are here on Feb 17th and we have our tickets once again. Since my son is in youth hockey, we were able to get them early on a presale, regular tickets still aren't available. We got the tickets long enough ago that I don't even remember where our seats are.

Next week will be a big "start of hockey season" week. We'll watch the Habs game on Wednesday, we're surprising my son and going to the Avs opener on Thursday, and his hockey season starts that Saturday. For the Avalanche, they're having a big opening event, meet the players as they arrive at the arena at 3 PM, games/music/etc as it's the 20 year anniversary of the team being in Denver.

Great surprise. I remember receiving about the same suprise when I was like 9-10 years old. My father got tickets from his job and didn't tell me before like 6pm. Hey son, get your Habs cap on, we're going to the game!

• 4 months later...

Avs/Habs coming up. We finally told my son we're going, he's excited. We'll get there when the doors open so we can get to the Habs ice entrance tunnel.

I wish I knew where they were staying when they played here. I'm not an autograph hound, but my son seeing the players up close, he'd go crazy just saying hi to them.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

This is the first season we don't have our tickets to the game already. So far, my son has been excited to go to the DU games, and hasn't really asked much about going to any Avs games this year. If the Habs are still out of a playoff spot come February, it might be the first Montreal/Colorado game I'll have missed since I moved here in 2000.

• 2 months later...

We have our tickets for the game on Wednesday. We're excited to go, we'll be ten rows up behind the Avs attack twice end, so we'll get to see Price (hopefully) up close in net for a couple of periods. My son just wants to see Montreal play, and I'm glad we can do that for him. It helps that through his hockey association, tickets are about a 40% discount off face value. Last year, one of the equipment guys gave him a Habs cap signed by Galchenyuk, so we'll try and get there early again to get near the player tunnel.

It's also his last year of 8U (mite), so he gets one last chance to skate during intermission in a couple of weeks. It'll also be his first time suiting up as a goalie at the Pepsi Center.

• Upvote 1