Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Hmmm. I'm a little surprised that Beaulieu hasn't come out and kicked ass. He's so close, you'd think he'd be utterly fired up, not lukewarm and inconsistent. Oh well, it's early days.

Hmmm. I'm a little surprised that Beaulieu hasn't come out and kicked ass. He's so close, you'd think he'd be utterly fired up, not lukewarm and inconsistent. Oh well, it's early days.

I wouldn't be surprised if his mindset is that the spot is his already and that his performance won't change much of anything. I seem to recall him having a similar frame of mind last year's camp where he was talking about how he had proven himself in Hamilton and had nothing left to prove/learn down there (despite not dominating by any stretch in his first AHL season).

I wouldn't be surprised if his mindset is that the spot is his already and that his performance won't change much of anything. I seem to recall him having a similar frame of mind last year's camp where he was talking about how he had proven himself in Hamilton and had nothing left to prove/learn down there (despite not dominating by any stretch in his first AHL season).

Tinordi and Pateryn are definitely looking better. I have the feeling that it will be easier for them to play their kind of game against another team. As for Beaulieu, I am puzzled. The young man should have done better in games lacking physical contacts.

anyone have the results for beaulieus beep test? I suspect he's not quite ready for camp? I thought he'd be buzzing allll over the ice this weekend. didn't notice him much...and for a wheeler like him, playing in a non-contact scrimmage, i'm disappointed thus far

That's sort of what I was afraid of...that he's one of these kids with a chronic sense of entitlement (c.f. Hainsey, Ribeiro, Fatendresse). The responsible attitude is exactly the opposite of what you describe: it should be "OK, I've got a foot in the door, now I've got to make it impossible for them to keep me off the team by dominating training camp." His legal problems aren't exactly reassuring about his maturity level either. Anyway, let's hope he finds his feet, because we're going to need him to be a player in 2-3 years' time as Markov declines.

As a prospect fighting for a spot, he should be willing to battle a bit more than Nate the Great seems to be.

But with his skills and speed, would be sweet if he can defend well enough to be on 3rd pairing.

Guest Stogey24

As a prospect fighting for a spot, he should be willing to battle a bit more than Nate the Great seems to be.

But with his skills and speed, would be sweet if he can defend well enough to be on 3rd pairing.

Hopefully he does something in the preseason games

Tonight's intrasquad game will be available on TSN.ca and TSN GO. The kicker is that they'll likely require cable/satellite provider authentication (much like Sportsnet will with GCL) so you can watch the game if you're a Rogers or Bell subscriber. I'm not sure if RDS is streaming this one or not.

Lineups for the game:

Team A

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Bourque - Hudon - de la Rose

Bournival - Andrighetto - McCarron

Sorkin - Dowell - Thomas

Markov - Gilbert

Tinordi - Pateryn

Bouillon - Finley

Price

Fucale

Team B

Moen - Plekanec - Sekac

Scherbak - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bowman - Dumont - Gregoire

Emelin - Subban

Beaulieu - Weaver

Drewiske - Nygren

Budaj

Condon

Team Red according to John Lu:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau

Bourque-Hudon-De La Rose

Bournival-Andrighetto-McCarron

Sorkin-Dowell-Thomas

Markov - Gilbert

Tinordi - Pateryn

Bouillon - Finley

Price

Fucale

Team White according to John Lu:

Moen - Plekanec - Sekac

Scherbak - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bowman - Dumont - Grégoire

Emelin - Subban

Beaulieu - Weaver

Drewiske - Nygren

Budaj

Condon

That's sort of what I was afraid of...that he's one of these kids with a chronic sense of entitlement (c.f. Hainsey, Ribeiro, Fatendresse). The responsible attitude is exactly the opposite of what you describe: it should be "OK, I've got a foot in the door, now I've got to make it impossible for them to keep me off the team by dominating training camp." His legal problems aren't exactly reassuring about his maturity level either. Anyway, let's hope he finds his feet, because we're going to need him to be a player in 2-3 years' time as Markov declines.

Just wondering, how long is this "His legal problems aren't exactly reassuring about his maturity level either" going to be posted about him. IMO, he has moved on and nothing negative about him has been posted anywhere about his maturity level, kind of strange that MT trusted him in the playoffs for being "immature".

Do you have any other due diligence to indicate that this is the case or is this post about him "mature".

Sorry, I'm about giving chances and moving on....Beaulieu has moved on, I suggest we all do the same.

It's odd to me sometimes how people were more than willing to place Nygren in the lineup if AHL means he'll try to cut and run on the team (Therrien confirmed he can't now) but if Beaulieu dogs it in the AHL or in scrimmage it should be a major question on his commitment to the team.

I'll take a player who at least shows up over a guy who cuts and runs. I have never seen Beaulieu put in less than a 100% effort during the regular season or post-season. If he's like the Allen Iverson's of the world and doesn't take practice as serious, is that really such a problem if he still brings it when it counts?

This kinda stuff is how Montreal runs players out before they properly mature. Also a big reason why a lot of those players developed entitled is because we had a captain who rarely spent time with the youngsters if it wasn't on the bench. We didn't see that during Gionta's tenure, especially with the other leaders in the lineup. It's why Gallagher living with Gorges seemed so odd, even though veterans have been doing it for young players for decades. Guys like Price and Gorges didn't have a veteran originally watching over them. They had Komisarek and Higgins taking them out partying with a game the next day.

It's odd to me sometimes how people were more than willing to place Nygren in the lineup if AHL means he'll try to cut and run on the team (Therrien confirmed he can't now) but if Beaulieu dogs it in the AHL or in scrimmage it should be a major question on his commitment to the team.

I'll take a player who at least shows up over a guy who cuts and runs. I have never seen Beaulieu put in less than a 100% effort during the regular season or post-season. If he's like the Allen Iverson's of the world and doesn't take practice as serious, is that really such a problem if he still brings it when it counts?

This kinda stuff is how Montreal runs players out before they properly mature. Also a big reason why a lot of those players developed entitled is because we had a captain who rarely spent time with the youngsters if it wasn't on the bench. We didn't see that during Gionta's tenure, especially with the other leaders in the lineup. It's why Gallagher living with Gorges seemed so odd, even though veterans have been doing it for young players for decades. Guys like Price and Gorges didn't have a veteran originally watching over them. They had Komisarek and Higgins taking them out partying with a game the next day.

Because of (Nygren) the shot...it's all about that 104.7 mph shot!

I guess Koivu should of stepped up and helped out Price eh, bad captain.

If Beaulieu/Nygren could just of shown they can defend in the minors, I would be more optimistic about either playing regular minutes.

Will be interesting to see how she shakes out over next couple weeks.

I guess Koivu should of stepped up and helped out Price eh, bad captain.

Hal Gill was pretty much put onto Price when he came in as a chaperone. The next season it was Gill watching Subban.

They do the same thing in pro wrestling, like the WWE. Young guys who come in get assigned on the road with a veteran to see their out of ring habits and general attitude and behaviour.

Sounds like Plekanec is helping Sekac out alot.

And imagine the 3 Russians are good support group for Scherbak also.

Would love to see Big Hal back as d-coach anytime.

Just wondering, how long is this "His legal problems aren't exactly reassuring about his maturity level either" going to be posted about him. IMO, he has moved on and nothing negative about him has been posted anywhere about his maturity level, kind of strange that MT trusted him in the playoffs for being "immature".

Do you have any other due diligence to indicate that this is the case or is this post about him "mature".

Sorry, I'm about giving chances and moving on....Beaulieu has moved on, I suggest we all do the same.

The maturity issues comment doesn't stem solely from that legal issue from last offseason. There have been questions about his maturity level from the first training camp he attended with the Habs. Those questions continued as recent as March when he wasn't called back up after the Olympics as a result of him dogging it during his time spent with the Bulldogs (as well as comments made during that time) that resulted in one of the player development coaches having to step in.

He's a quality prospect and that's why he's still around, not because Beaulieu is now the model of maturity, he's far from it.

In sheltered situations Beaulieu managed to be a +d-man in both reg season and playoffs, so maybe immature or not his quick feet and puck skills could be a real bonus to have on roster.

In sheltered situations Beaulieu managed to be a +d-man in both reg season and playoffs, so maybe immature or not his quick feet and puck skills could be a real bonus to have on roster.

And that's why he eventually got recalled late last year and saw some time in the playoffs. He brings some elements to the table that can help this team which is why they're not shipping him out as they might with a lesser prospect with similar concerns. But the questions about his maturity level are nonetheless valid in my opinion.

Hope he can put it all together and be an impact player, but see him more like a Mike Green who will always be a somewhat weak in own end but offense is enough to offset that and no where near as bad as a MAB (or Nygren?).