Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

I don't think Beaulieu would be terrible in his own end if not for those complete brain farts he has been known for. He is big and fast and can play quite aggressive and physical in his own end, but as Jeff said, it's his "on the ice" maturity/hockey sense that is the question, and as others have said, more off ice things than just the one.

Finley must of gone to the Hal Gill puckhandling school. Of the kids, Sekac and Sorkin seem to stand out and Gregoire looks good.

Risk/Reward with Beaulieu, Max & DD makes him pay.

Finished watching the HABS pre-season game. The players need some "real" game action. Bring on other NHL teams, let's see some contact.

They're not hitting anywhere near their real game situation and it shows, a player with two separated shoulders would have been fine tonite.

The good small skaters look great on the ice, but I can't imagine anyone of them going near last year's Murray along the boards that easily and without "feeling" the aftermath,lol.

Crankshaft would have welcomed them to the NHL, likewise, didn't see Subban or Emelin go for a check on any player. Were there 4th liners on because I didn't see anyone getting pinned or playing along the boards. No stick work?

Finley must of gone to the Hal Gill puckhandling school. Of the kids, Sekac and Sorkin seem to stand out and Gregoire looks good.

Risk/Reward with Beaulieu, Max & DD makes him pay.

The next coming of Alex Henry, with a black belt in Hal Gill.

• Upvote 1

if the kid can play, the kid can play!..immaturity issues are for the coaches and leaders to deal with

First of all, I was just expressing surprise that Beaulieu is having a limp camp despite being on the cusp. At face value, that hints at an attitude of entitlement, and that does mesh with the things Brian talked about. But more to the point, my main concern is not what kind of man Beaulieu is but precisely whether he "can play." Immaturity gets in the way of performance, and that's when I start to get worried about it.

Guest Stogey24

First of all, I was just expressing surprise that Beaulieu is having a limp camp despite being on the cusp. At face value, that hints at an attitude of entitlement, and that does mesh with the things Brian talked about. But more to the point, my main concern is not what kind of man Beaulieu is but precisely whether he "can play." Immaturity gets in the way of performance, and that's when I start to get worried about it.

I don't even understand where all of this is coming from. He got into a fight last year, it happens. Subban has looked terrible in every scrimmage this year, it really means nothing. The number 6 spot is Beaulieu's barring an injury, so I'd be taking it easy in a scrimmage too.

On defence I think Tinordi and Pateryn really stepped up and showed they could be in the NHL.

Sekac didn't look like a rookie while Scherbak was sensational.

Everyone else was either their usual self, inconsistent, forgotten or bad.

That said we have a really good prospect pool. Guys like DLR and Ghetto would have been the most praised players in someone elses camp.

First time in a while I can say this team is loaded with depth. I don't have as much to worry about in the event of an injury. Someone will step up

Oh and Galchenyuk? If he can continue to perform at center while Eller is hurt, he might just force Bergevin's hand.

I don't even understand where all of this is coming from. He got into a fight last year, it happens. Subban has looked terrible in every scrimmage this year, it really means nothing. The number 6 spot is Beaulieu's barring an injury, so I'd be taking it easy in a scrimmage too.

Subban is about as far from a comparator for Beaulieu as I am. Of course proven veterans and stars dog it in training camp. Unproven rookies? That's another story.

That said, we apparently disagree about Beaulieu's role. I see him as knocking on the door, but in no way assured of a roster spot. Indeed, he is one of three rookies competing for that spot. If that's the assumption, then his lame play is either based on an arrogant and ill-founded sense of entitlement, or else simple lack of preparation - both of which raise legitimate questions about attitude. By contrast, if he is (for some inexplicable reason) a "lock" to make the top-6, then a lame camp makes sense.

Interesting that EOTP is praising Beaulieu while claiming that Patern and Tinordi look ordinary?

I admit that it has been a long time since the competition was this deep and I can't wait to see who makes the cut. Any chance Bourke gets dumped to make room for JDL or SA....I know, wishful thinking :pray:

It's not just stemming from the fight, but other issues that have come up between his first NHL training camp and last season, of which there have been a few where his attitude has been called into question.

And under no circumstances should Beaulieu be approaching camp thinking that the #6 spot is his no matter what. He has 30 NHL games of experience and has seen very limited, sheltered minutes in most of them. He also had a terrible year in the AHL last season. That resume isn't screaming 'must keep.' He's a contender for a spot but by no means is that spot guaranteed to go to him. There are six players who legitimately could be vying for the final two spots. If any of them - not just Beaulieu - approach the situation as if a spot is theirs no matter what, they'll be doing themselves a big disservice.

Guest Stogey24

Subban is about as far from a comparator for Beaulieu as I am. Of course proven veterans and stars dog it in training camp. Unproven rookies? That's another story.

That said, we apparently disagree about Beaulieu's role. I see him as knocking on the door, but in no way assured of a roster spot. Indeed, he is one of three rookies competing for that spot. If that's the assumption, then his lame play is either based on an arrogant and ill-founded sense of entitlement, or else simple lack of preparation - both of which raise legitimate questions about attitude. By contrast, if he is (for some inexplicable reason) a "lock" to make the top-6, then a lame camp makes sense.

Beaulieu was the go to guy in the playoffs, so I'm assuming management has a pretty good idea who their number 6 guy is going to be. Obviously things can change, but I can't imagine a couple scrimmages is going to change their mind. We'll see how he looks tonight though.