Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Where are those skills? If you're going to play at the NHL level as an offensive-only d-man, you need to produce offensively! P.K. (who, contrary to popular opinion, is actually pretty damn good, defensively) put up 2 assists in his first two games as a hab. His rookie season he managed 14 goals and 38 points in 77 games. Okay, he's going to be a superstar, the comparison's not fair. So, if Beaulieu was half the offensive defenseman PK was, he'd be putting up 7 goals and 19 assists in a rookie campaign. I might be happy with that. "Oh, but he's only 21!" Yeah, yeah, PK was 20 when he did that. If he's ready, he'll start producing, immediately. He'll get better as he matures, but you don't keep them into the NHL when they sucked at the AHL level and have done nothing but suck thus far at the NHL level.

You can't compare Subban to Beaulieu. Beulieu's upside is an offensive #2 like Jack Johnson or James Wisniewski, where Subban looked like a potential franchise player in his rookie year.

Remember, too, that if Pateryn's going to make the NHL, it's a bit more urgent. Nathan Beaulieu is still a 21 year old kid, Greg Pateryn is 24. Pateryn has been better at the AHL level than Beaulieu, too. If Pateryn is at all showing signs of being NHL ready, he needs to have a shot. He's never played a single NHL game, and yet he's done more to earn it than Beaulieu. (This is not a knock against Beaulieu .... Pateryn has had two and a half more years to earn his way into the NHL.) For Greg Pateryn, it's basically this season or never. (It's rather amazing that a guy drafted in the 5th round by the maple leafs is even considered a great prospect, but Pateryn has delivered). Beaulieu could sit in hamilton 2 more years and he wouldn't be bucking the average for good prospects at all, even if he's taking a bit long for a 1st rounder.

Guest Stogey24

Remember, too, that if Pateryn's going to make the NHL, it's a bit more urgent. Nathan Beaulieu is still a 21 year old kid, Greg Pateryn is 24. Pateryn has been better at the AHL level than Beaulieu, too. If Pateryn is at all showing signs of being NHL ready, he needs to have a shot. He's never played a single NHL game, and yet he's done more to earn it than Beaulieu. (This is not a knock against Beaulieu .... Pateryn has had two and a half more years to earn his way into the NHL.) For Greg Pateryn, it's basically this season or never. (It's rather amazing that a guy drafted in the 5th round by the maple leafs is even considered a great prospect, but Pateryn has delivered). Beaulieu could sit in hamilton 2 more years and he wouldn't be bucking the average for good prospects at all, even if he's taking a bit long for a 1st rounder.

Pateryn is still under contract next year and a RFA

Pateryn was dressed for three games two years ago.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99569

nice attempt at a subject change brian, I was :wall: with the h8 the n8 comments. but, i'll bite..zac fucale got his feet wet and will be better suited going back jr..wait, can he go to Hamilton this year? either or, he'll get top minutes and come back next year even stronger!

Fucale is ineligible to go to Hamilton this season as he's only 19. That said, should the Bulldogs be playing at the time that the Mooseheads are eliminated, he'd be eligible to join them once Halifax's season/playoffs ends.

In the meantime, Fucale will take aim at becoming the all-time wins leader in the QMJHL. He has a half-decent shot at it if he stays healthy and the Mooseheads have another strong year (that last bit may be iffy).

hmmph, top wins leader in the Q..now that's impressive. considering all the quality tenders that have come out. it all starts in goal, and the mooseheads have a star. hopefully they can get him the support needed to set the record. and then maybe he can pull a carey price and jump into a long ahl playoff run first year? we shall see...

This is my problem with the "has to earn his spot" attitude : There will always be a cheap 33yo UFA who played well enough in recent years and is more proven and reliable than rookies like Beaulieu. See Murray, Bouillon, Wheaver, etc.

Then why do we draft dmen again ? For them to be perfect at the age of 26 and start them slowly on 3rd pair ice-time in the NHL ?

At one point, you gotta give the guy a chance to prove you that he's ready. And sometimes, especially on this board, it seems to me that this point will NEVER happen because there is always a more defensively reliable player out there.

And also, the ones who don't want to rush Beaulieu - Tinordi in the NHL are the same ones who claim that our team is not a true contender anyway for Stanley Cup. Then when will be the best timing to bring them in the NHL ? The year we will be true contenders ?!?!?! Doesn't make any sense to me. The year we'll be true contender, IMHO, is the year that Beaulieu AND Tinordi will be NHL regular. And by always pushing back this moment, we'll always push back, again IMHO, the moment when we'll win #25.

Great post!

I am hoping for Tinordi to make the team out of camp, and injuries will let us see what we have for depth....

Also agree with MoLG about Weaver actually being the #7 at some point this year.

Great posts all round fellas...

And also, the ones who don't want to rush Beaulieu - Tinordi in the NHL are the same ones who claim that our team is not a true contender anyway for Stanley Cup. Then when will be the best timing to bring them in the NHL ? The year we will be true contenders ?!?!?! Doesn't make any sense to me. The year we'll be true contender, IMHO, is the year that Beaulieu AND Tinordi will be NHL regular. And by always pushing back this moment, we'll always push back, again IMHO, the moment when we'll win #25.

I missed this post.

(1) I don't hate nate. I just haven't seen anything from him yet that implies to me he's ready to play competently at the NHL level.

(2) I've said all along Montreal is a contender. They've got a short window right now. Possibly this season, until Salary Cap issues put a serious constraint on this team's ability to keep it's "three equal lines" strategy. I think we have a real shot at going places.

(3) Good NHL players are already assets when you first choose to give them regular ice time. You cannot develop a player who isn't ready by throwing them on the ice at the NHL level. They can only develop properly by playing at a level that best complements their current readiness level. Sure, rookie defensemen will always make more mistakes than usual, but if they're ready to play in the NHL, they'll be an asset, not a liability, from the moment they lace up for you.

Christian Thomas is having quite an interesting camp. He has a couple of goals I think in the scrimmage games and he played a good game against the Bruins.

I think he is establishing himself higher than Ghetto & DLR in the depth chart. I could see him as a good replacement for Gallagher if he gets hurt during the season.

Sekac is a good player too. Good to see him compete and be effective against Bruins veterans. The guy has good vision.

Edited by hupette gros

So Price and Budaj will split tomorrow's game. After that, the plan is for Price to get three complete games and Tokarski/Budaj one full game each. That might work in Budaj's favour for earning the #2 spot.

Parenteau, Subban, and Emelin will also play on Thursday.

Group A is clearly the exhibition team.

Nygren getting moved to Team B doesn't bold well for him. Looks like Drewiske did nothing for himself either as Bouillon is still getting a shot and he's still on the outside. Would like to still see Bennett get a chance on Team A.

Sorkin, Thomas, Hudon, Dumont, Bowman and Ghetto all on Team B. De La Rose, Scherbak and Sekac on Team A tells me what the battle is there unless something changes.

They're down to two groups now in practice:

And before anyone asks who some of these people are, click here.

HAHAHAHA was clearly post a question about this guy named Army ! What a cool name !

Group A is clearly the exhibition team.
Nygren getting moved to Team B doesn't bold well for him. Looks like Drewiske did nothing for himself either as Bouillon is still getting a shot and he's still on the outside. Would like to still see Bennett get a chance on Team A.
Sorkin, Thomas, Hudon, Dumont, Bowman and Ghetto all on Team B. De La Rose, Scherbak and Sekac on Team A tells me what the battle is there unless something changes.

Yeah it looks like team b is headed to hamilton. "le Genius" says they are putting in a new system, so they have time to practice.

In case you hear something about Magnus Nygren saying he wished he was in "Green and White" and playing in Sweden? It's a terrible mistranslation. Nygren was actually wishing his boys in Sweden playing football (soccer) good luck and Habs fans decided to believe he meant he was unhappy about being on Team B and not playing games. Nygren himself already denied it as well as anyone who can speak Swedish.

In case you hear something about Magnus Nygren saying he wished he was in "Green and White" and playing in Sweden? It's a terrible mistranslation. Nygren was actually wishing his boys in Sweden playing football (soccer) good luck and Habs fans decided to believe he meant he was unhappy about being on Team B and not playing games. Nygren himself already denied it as well as anyone who can speak Swedish.

Just watched this twitter and that is about an icehockey game between Färjestad and Djurgården in the SHL. Hovet is the arena in stockholm where Djurgården plays their homegames. Nothing to do with soccer.

Nothing about him wanting to bolt and leave though. Just a little tweet about him cheering for his former team and then some people answers him like he said he wanted to leave.

Just watched this twitter and that is about an icehockey game between Färjestad and Djurgården in the SHL. Hovet is the arena in stockholm where Djurgården plays their homegames. Nothing to do with soccer.

Nothing about him wanting to bolt and leave though. Just a little tweet about him cheering for his former team and then some people answers him like he said he wanted to leave.

I have heard Swiss is not an easy language to learn. From the misquotes we hear from journalists around here apparently english or french isn't either. :)