Budaj, Holland traded for Eric Tangradi

BCHabnut

A few positives: Cap space created, extra contract dropped, actual return despite shitty market for goalies, and Tangradi is actually a good 4th liner despite his recent waiving.

Edit: Tangradi starts the year in Hamilton since he already cleared waivers. So an Nhler and Ahler for an Ahler, but still those other positives mentioned. Hope Bergevin uses the cap and contract space effectively.

Moen next to go?

This looks like they did Peter a solid. They did not want to demote him so they got the best they could for him. Tangradi is big but don't look like anything special.

awesome that the Habs issue is roster spots and not cap space!

Guest Stogey24

Tangradi is a big dude. I don't think this is a bad trade at all. Tangradi will block shots and has a physical side. I don't really know where he fits in on the Habs roster though?

Tangradi is a big dude. I don't think this is a bad trade at all. Tangradi will block shots and has a physical side. I don't really know where he fits in on the Habs roster though?

He's a call-up option for when there's injuries, nothing more.

He'll replace Blunden basically.

Peter Budaj will be the Jets starter by January.

You're probably right. My buddy who lives in Wnnipeg says everyone hates Pavelic. This is why I had Winnipeg listed as a possible destination for Budaj as far back as July.

• Upvote 1

Habs made the (obviously) correct decision in keeping the younger, cheaper G with higher upside. This seems a sensible move; too bad about Holland, though.

Holland's no big loss. He took several big steps backwards last year in his development; he likely wasn't in the plans moving forward.

Reading through the tweets on the site, Budaj's agent said that Budaj asked for a trade this offseason.

Again, not surprised. When the Habs couldn't count in him in the playoffs - he was done. Budai can't win big games. I don't care how much of a nice guy or good teammate he was, you need to separate the personality from the job. Budaj can't be counted on if Price gets hurt. I think Budaj wanted to go somewhere he can prove naysayers wrong. Winnipeg it is!

Although the return was not great, considering the goalie market it was a good move. It is basically moving Budaj so he would not be a distraction, getting Holland--who no longer seemed to fit the teams plans- off the books and clearing some cap space while getting some decent AHL/4th line depth.

Once again, MB makes a small, but shrewd move.

Just two hours after the deal was done:

BzNCyFkCAAEntnt.jpg

Always cool to see how quick you can flip a player.

Also the reason why we had Tangradi so fast in Hamilton was because Winnipeg had already put him on waivers and he cleared. He'd need waivers to clear to goto Montreal.