Budaj, Holland traded for Eric Tangradi

BCHabnut

That seems to have radically changed this year. I think they currently have $1.6M locked up in four players in Hamilton.

How much by choice though? They gave MacDonald a big money two-way deal while Bowman/Dumont are making decent money. The other two (Drewiske/Tangradi) are simply because no one claimed them on waivers. I suspect if they had their way, neither would be there right now but in other organizations instead.

How much by choice though? They gave MacDonald a big money two-way deal while Bowman/Dumont are making decent money. The other two (Drewiske/Tangradi) are simply because no one claimed them on waivers. I suspect if they had their way, neither would be there right now but in other organizations instead.

Tangradi was already going through waivers when we made the trade.

Drewiske could be in the NHL if the team didn't want his cap hit in the AHL. Same with Dumont.

Bowman was just signed. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't have signed him. Same with Joey MacDonald.

Tangradi was already going through waivers when we made the trade.

Drewiske could be in the NHL if the team didn't want his cap hit in the AHL. Same with Dumont.

Bowman was just signed. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't have signed him. Same with Joey MacDonald.

With Tangradi, I don't think they actively sought him out. He was in the trade so that the Habs didn't have to retain salary on Budaj (avoiding the cap hit associated with that). I suspect they'd give him away right now if they could, especially since they're at the veteran limit in the minors.

With Drewiske, again, I think they'd give him away if it meant opening a spot for another of the youngsters to play. (At least he doesn't count against the veteran limit.) But, point taken on the fact they could have kept him in the NHL if it was just a money thing.

There's a big difference between their salaries and that of guys like Bowman/Dumont, or MacDonald. Those were voluntary signings and MacDonald did represent a new high in terms of a two-way salary. Drewiske was supposed to be the 7th D when he signed his deal and again, I don't think they actually want Tangradi around. Having those salaries in the minors is more circumstance than change in organizational philosophy in my opinion.

Hamilton seemed to be a good example of no vet leadership.

They would play OK on the road and simply sucked at home and add in Nygren's comment that 'players were more concerned with dating the ladies than hockey' (which as early 20 something year old guys, is darn normal).

But without solid veteran leadership in dressing room, things can go off the rails.

But, I don't think it will be a big deal given Montreals' roster makeup.

"that 'players were more concerned with dating the ladies than hockey'"

Coulda been worse.

"that 'players were more concerned with dating the ladies than hockey'"

Coulda been worse.

Yes, could be closet Leaf fans or Liberal supporters.

Chevy is one incredibly awful GM.

Agree. Budaj is better than that drunk Pavelic. Not sure why they did this trade to put a $1.4M goalie in the minors?

I say Budaj gets picked up.

Agree. Budaj is better than that drunk Pavelic. Not sure why they did this trade to put a $1.4M goalie in the minors

They have a goalie similar to Tokarski, a youngster that needs waivers but could get plucked in Michael Hutchinson. Obviously, Winnipeg's thought process was to get Budaj for insurance in case he struggles. At $700,000 (Budaj's salary less Tangradi's), they figure it's a reasonable price to pay for insurance I guess, even if he does have to start in the minors. Worst case scenario for them, he gets claimed and they wind up with Holland for a guy they were prepared to lose for nothing anyways.

From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

Apparently, the Canadiens are very happy with Michael Condon, who becomes the number three goalie in the organization with Peter Budaj’s trade. It’s another reason why they were comfortable doing it.

I swear that there is not one play by play, colour guy, analyst, journalist on TV in Quebec that wants Michael Condon to ever play for the Habs.

In french, the word condom is prononced condon (even though we also write it condom, we just don't pronounce the "m" but "on" at the end)

To be clear, add any English accent that you want, but his name will always sound like Michael Condom and you can already imagine all the rubber jokes that would bring...

• Upvote 1

I swear that there is not one play by play, colour guy, analyst, journalist on TV in Quebec that wants Michael Condon to ever play for the Habs.

In french, the word condom is prononced condon (even though we also write it condom, we just don't pronounce the "m" but "on" at the end)

To be clear, add any English accent that you want, but his name will always sound like Michael Condom and you can already imagine all the rubber jokes that would bring...

Yes and it would be absolutely forking hilarious. (in a juvenile sort of way) :)

Not a big shocker that they're pleased with Condon so far. He really did have a strong year with Wheeling and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he's the starter in Hamilton by the end of the year. MacDonald is a nice veteran stop gap but he's not a goalie at this stage that can handle a full-time #1 role so Condon will get his chance.