Oct. 8, Montreal vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

Well, Canucks broadcast with Dave Randorf was so bad it was humerous (even worse than with John Garrett), but Habs game was very annoyingly painful with rambling goofball Healy, Hughson, Idiot Maclean et al.

I want my RDS back! :flaming:

Wasn't it Paul Romanuk calling it with Mike Johnson last night? I only caught a bit of it but it sounded like Romanuk to me.

Machine pretty much captures the game with his player evaluations above. I seem to have a better opinion of Gilbert's game than many around here, IF you overlook the four-minute penalty (presumably a fluke play, his stick slipped) - he struck me as a poor man's Hamhuis, albeit softer than Hamhuis, in being able to eat a lot of minutes without drawing too much attention to himself. I was, however, surprised to find myself kinda missing Josh Gorges. Nothing specific, just being so used to seeing him out there that his absence felt weird.

In retrospect I was probably a little more harsh on Eller and Gilbert than I would be if this was game #54. The first game of the year is honestly more meaningless than a game 82 with the playoffs clinched. It's so far away from the goal, it's really just an exhibition game that counts. Nobody will be talking about how Alexei Emelin is a league leader after the first game of October in a couple months.

It's easy to forget that our defence includes Subban and Markov with new partners. Emelin is now playing the league on the other side of the ice. There's going to be some chemistry issues to begin with. Gilbert, Parenteau, Sekac and Malhotra are all going to have some issues early at times. I was really hoping to see Eller motivated but he looked lost. Whatever, it was one game. If he's just a third line center he's just a third line center.

I've read elsewhere and agree completely that Malhotra playing PK1 and getting defensive zone faceoffs alleviates a ton of pressure off Plekanec to just go out and play offensive hockey. Plekanec was pretty open with Basu on how happy he was to have "offensive" players with him.

Basu on Twitter: Was asking Tomas Plekanec, "You're playing on an offensive line for the first time in..." and I trailed off. He finished it: "Years"

You guys are spoiled when it comes to hockey coverage. To me, guys like Healey and Jim Hughson are a treat compared to Derek Sanderson, Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley and Pierre McGuire. The coverage is 8000 times better in Canada than the US. (I'm not even going to discuss Panther's coverage).

You guys are spoiled when it comes to hockey coverage. To me, guys like Healey and Jim Hughson are a treat compared to Derek Sanderson, Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley and Pierre McGuire. The coverage is 8000 times better in Canada than the US. (I'm not even going to discuss Panther's coverage).

You're getting Denis Potvin back this year on those games - he wasn't well liked for Ottawa's regional games the last few years. Will he be an upgrade on what they had before?

I have listened to jack Edwards and even he is far more professional and less biases than Glenn-torrona is the centre of the universe- Healy. I can't believe this is the best Sportsnet could do for announcers. I would rather listen to Don Cherry :wall:

Where are the successors to Dick Irvin and Danny Galivan??!! Alas

Unlike you guys, I kind of like the new Cams, but then I watch almost all games via NHL.com

You're getting Denis Potvin back this year on those games - he wasn't well liked for Ottawa's regional games the last few years. Will he be an upgrade on what they had before?

Yeah, he definitely will be an upgrade. Bill Lindsay was white bread. I saw an interview Potvin did with Tallon and it was good.

The problem with the Panther's coverage is Fox Sports. A lot of small market teams like the Panthers/Nashville have Fox Sports and all of the sets and camera angles are cheesy. But then again, the Panthers are such a small draw that their season preview show couldn't get more than two commercials per break.

Well, Canucks broadcast with Dave Randorf was so bad it was humerous (even worse than with John Garrett), but Habs game was very annoyingly painful with rambling goofball Healy, Hughson, Idiot Maclean et al.

I want my RDS back! :flaming:

You'll get it tonight.

I have a problem with the entire mainstream orientation to hockey coverage. They always look for "stories" - like that defenceman kid from Tranna - and make great hay out of that, despite the fact that it's irrelevant to anything in the game, and they always favour "big personalities" like Doug Maclean or Glenn Healy rather than smart analysts. My preferred measure would be whether I learn something in watching the telecast. With this roster of bozos, I won't. The whole philosophy is wrong. By contrast, Snuffleupagus's questions to his panel were actually intriguing, getting us into what goes on in players' heads while they're on the ice a little bit. Taking us inside the mentality and the action. THAT was more like it.

I don't understand spoken French at all (I can read it with some middling success) so RDS was never an option for me.

Anyone see Parenteau's Corsi numbers for the game? If you're into advanced stats/analytics, he was pretty spectacular (72.7% - 24 CF: 9 CA). I'm still not sure if I buy into them. Whatever he's doing worked for them last night though - 2 assists. He's doing something right.

Wasn't it Paul Romanuk calling it with Mike Johnson last night? I only caught a bit of it but it sounded like Romanuk to me.

you are probably right

Jack Edwards was a cartoon years ago but honestly he's one of the PBP guys I'd take over others. Especially when calling the Habs. Edwards still has his moments of favouritism (they all do) but he's far better about critically giving the Habs credit or pointing out their mistakes than anyone I've heard call Montreal games. Just check his Twitter when he's calling a Habs/Bruins game. He might whine about ref decisions from time to time but if the Habs are controlling possession? He points it out. If the Bruins are playing too aggressive and not smart enough? He'll call it out. The only guy I'd prefer for those games is Cole, only because Cole has the most legendary voice in sports for me.

I have a problem with the entire mainstream orientation to hockey coverage. They always look for "stories" - like that defenceman kid from Tranna - and make great hay out of that, despite the fact that it's irrelevant to anything in the game, and they always favour "big personalities" like Doug Maclean or Glenn Healy rather than smart analysts. My preferred measure would be whether I learn something in watching the telecast. With this roster of bozos, I won't. The whole philosophy is wrong. By contrast, Snuffleupagus's questions to his panel were actually intriguing, getting us into what goes on in players' heads while they're on the ice a little bit. Taking us inside the mentality and the action. THAT was more like it.

That was over the top. He played seven minutes in the first period, big whoop. Reminds me Mike Kostka when he started with the Leafs.

The only guy I'd prefer for those games is Cole, only because Cole has the most legendary voice in sports for me.

Bob Cole has a voice like Elmore James. The Voice of Eternity.

Guest Stogey24

The only guy I'd prefer for those games is Cole, only because Cole has the most legendary voice in sports for me.

Cole is awwwful.

Bob Cole is still less annoying than Jim Hughson ya ask me...

Denis Potvin? He sounds like a drunk and high Harry Carey, just brutal dumb the man is....