2014-15 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Scott Gomez is back with the Devils after signing a one year, two-way deal for the league minimum. He has been with the team since training camp, practising with NJ when they were at home. Full credit to him for sticking it out for nearly two months to get this contract.

Brodeur definitely back, one year deal.

Weird / cool deal.

700k + 10k per points in the standings (20k for a W).

125k more if he's on the roster on February 1st and March 4th !?!?!

With all those top draft picks and young superstars; both Oilers and Aves simply suck (doubt Saint Patrick will get coach of year this year)

crap defense/goaltending must be it, I suppose?

Scott Gomez is back with the Devils after signing a one year, two-way deal for the league minimum. He has been with the team since training camp, practising with NJ when they were at home. Full credit to him for sticking it out for nearly two months to get this contract.

So Gomez will play on the top line tonight...and Michael Ryder is the healthy scratch to make room for him in the lineup. Okay then...

Ryder's not happy about being scratched and isn't hiding that fact: http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/12/angry_michael_ryder_a_healthy_scratch_from_devils_lineup.html

Also scratched today is Vincent Lecavalier, the first time in his career that he has been a healthy scratch.

Guest Stogey24

is that right ? what could he not get the pp going? lose 7 outta 8? get blown out too often? team not showing up ready to play? what was the problem?

He also chirped his team and management on twitter. He sealed his own fate. The guy wanted out.

They tried a guy who was inexperienced and it didn't work out. So they went with another guy without experience. You have to laud them for their consistency.

This guy has experience...sucking up to their cheap owner. (He used to be the coach of the OHL team that Melnyk owns.) This doesn't seem like a merit-based promotion by any stretch.

This guy has experience...sucking up to their cheap owner. (He used to be the coach of the OHL team that Melnyk owns.) This doesn't seem like a merit-based promotion by any stretch.

Awesome, right? Division rival and all. All this just clears the way for the eventual resurgence of the Cats!

My Sens buddy has two thoughts:

1 - MacLean can supposedly speak French. I have yet to see this confirmed.

2 - Ray Shero has been snooping around Ottawa lately. Return of the Shero-Bylsma duo in Ottawa?

I said this in a different thread but he was born in France (his dad was stationed there) and he spent time in the QMJHL has a junior player. If he doesn't speak French it'd be a surprise.

Don't think I'd want him coaching the Habs though.

I think TSN's examination of his coaching (in depth with Fenwick and Corsi) is fascinating. What it tells me is that those stats are heavily influenced by certain types of players when coached by someone like MacLean: Spezza was obviously a huge factor. One wonders if, here in Montreal, he'd find his number one centre and ride that player. And that makes me wonder if maybe MacLean is the kind of guy who would better bring Chucky to the next level. Not saying I'd like to see him as coach, though he's definitely a Montreal-style coach (firewagon hockey). I'm very interested to see where he does end up to see if he has the same kind of impact with players at his disposal.

Chris Stewart will be a healthy scratch for Buffalo tonight (and has just four points this year). How far has his stock fallen? His response to getting benched is somewhat unique too...

1456633_617689001691300_1129501764958031

Ilya Bryzgalov gets a deal with the Ducks for the rest of the season at a $2.88 M cap hit. That works out to around $1.9 M in actual salary for the rest of the year to be the backup in Anaheim. Not a bad deal when you consider Philly's paying him a little over $1.6 M each year until 2027.

Chris Stewart still has some demand because he doesn't have Rene Bourque stench yet. I'm quite surprised the Bruins haven't made a move for him yet.

The rumblings are that something may happen there before long. Boston's problem is that they have next-to-no cap space while Stewart carries a cap hit of $4.15 M. The longer they wait to do something, the easier it is to get it done.

Speaking of Boston, there are reports that they're the favourite to get the 2016 Winter Classic. I wonder who they may want to play in that game...