2014-15 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Martin Brodeur is now expected to retire with a press conference coming likely Thursday. He's expected to join the Blues' front office.

The St Louis Blues have confirmed that he will be in the front office in a management role. Thank the Great pumkin he does not come to Montreal and play goal anymore. (that was a compliment btw.)

He was a great Goalie, just did not quite know when to quit. Mind you he those alimony payments. That can screw with a guy's head. :hockey:

More news for the Blues as they send Maxim Lapierre to the Pens for Marcel Goc. I think a really good move by the Pens. Lapierre will be great in the playoffs to go along with Downie. Its the first time Laps returns to the East after being dealt by the Habs. Always liked him on the Habs.

More news for the Blues as they send Maxim Lapierre to the Pens for Marcel Goc. I think a really good move by the Pens. Lapierre will be great in the playoffs to go along with Downie. Its the first time Laps returns to the East after being dealt by the Habs. Always liked him on the Habs.

Me too... was hoping that Bergevin would pick him up for the 3rd or 4th line...

Me too... was hoping that Bergevin would pick him up for the 3rd or 4th line...

Lapierre apparently wanted to sign in Montreal the last time he was in free agency and Bergevin wanted no part of it. To me that says something as there's he'd have a useful role on this team.

A funny stat from yesterday:

Antti Niemi, who wears #31 for San Jose, made 31 saves against Chicago for his 31st career shutout. The Blackhawks coming into the game had 31 wins and their starting goalie, Antti Raanta, also wears #31. This, of course, all happened on January 31st. And if you're wondering how old Niemi is...he's 31.

I wonder when the last time was that both starting goalies in an NHL game were named Antti...

A funny stat from yesterday:

Antti Niemi, who wears #31 for San Jose, made 31 saves against Chicago for his 31st career shutout. The Blackhawks coming into the game had 31 wins and their starting goalie, Antti Raanta, also wears #31. This, of course, all happened on January 31st. And if you're wondering how old Niemi is...he's 31.

I wonder when the last time was that both starting goalies in an NHL game were named Antti...

That's just crazy!

Also of note to all Hab fans...

Take a seat Tim Peel, you Hab hating SoB...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/report-nhl-suspended-referee-tim-peel-following-interview/ar-AA8UO2K

Read the Yahoo! interview and you'll see this terrifying nugget:

Peel admits it was a call he wouldn’t have made in a 1-1 game, and wouldn’t have made without knowing that the NHL wants this penalty for the sake of "game management," in order to ensure a 4-0 game between two rivals doesn’t get out of hand. Peel said he went over to Barry Trotz after the call, explained it, and the coach, having seen this episode before, said he understood.

In other words, the NHL tells referees to make calls at certain times of the game to "game manage" instead of just calling things when they happen. Basically admitted that the NHL doesn't want objective officiating. It wants to manage the game through the referees. All of those moments you thought a penalty was called just because a team was up 3-2? You were right.

Not news.

You didn't think refs received marching orders directly from owners on how to officiate and how they wanted games called.

Don I think the scarier part of this is that it actually comes from NHL management not owners. This leads back to the commissioners office and that can't be good for the game. Do we want Gary micromanaging the games?

At what point does he decide who should win for "the good of the league"?

Is this now the WWE?

Just entertainment not real sports.

Just a thought Don.

I find calls really do even out so given up on really bitching about it every game.

NHL mgmt. gives the refs little consistency to how penalties are doled out and thus they might 'pocket whistle & let em play' near ends of games, while not what refs would prefer to do but they must do as told.

After GM meetings they want to crack down on one thing or loosen calls on stickwork like hooking/interference.

I think they are shown video and told what is a call and what is not a call, which may be different than what were shown 3 months before that, so almost feel sorry for refs trying to be as consistent as possible and some are worse than others like Kerry Fraser was.

Friggin NHL.com has one annoying set up!!

Every time you hit Boxscore for a specific game, a video of ad and recap of game loads and plays. :thumbs_down:

It's easier to just jump from there to the game sheets (game summary and event summary). It's the same info without the annoying ads/videos.

• Upvote 1

The Jets traded Kane, Zach Bogosian, and unsigned goaltending prospect Jason Kasdorf to the Sabres on Wednesday in exchange for Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, prospects Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia and a first-round draft pick.

As per TSN. That's a huge Winnipeg win, IMO.

The Jets traded Kane, Zach Bogosian, and unsigned goaltending prospect Jason Kasdorf to the Sabres on Wednesday in exchange for Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, prospects Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia and a first-round draft pick.

As per TSN. That's a huge Winnipeg win, IMO.

I agree, Wpg wins this one hands down. Buffalo going for mcdavid I guess.

Wait, Sabres gave 1st round pick? McDavid to Jets?

Buffalo had 3 1st round picks. Winnipeg will get the one that ends up being the lowest (NYI or STL).

Buffalo had 3 1st round picks. Winnipeg will get the one that ends up being the lowest (NYI or STL).

Depends on the terms of the deal. Could be the middle one also.

Edit : NHL confirm that Buffalo will decide which pick goest to Winnipeg.

Is it possible to not like a trade for both teams? That's where I sit here. I think Buffalo overpaid and I don't like the return for Winnipeg. I'm not a big fan of Myers or Bogosian and consider them both to be overpaid underachievers so swapping them is more lateral to me than anything. That means Buffalo gave up Stafford and three youngsters (including two first round picks) for a major underachiever in Kane and a so-so college goalie. That feels like an overpayment.

On the flip side, I don't think makes Winnipeg really that much better. Stafford's a 2nd liner at best and isn't going to bring a whole lot offensively to the table. Lemieux is going to be a major troublemaker on the ice and in the room. I've seen his antics up close in Barrie and while he has talent, his ego will cause no shortage of problems. Armia is still a quality prospect but given how bad Buffalo has been, it's interesting that he hasn't really been given a chance at the NHL level when a lot of other prospects have. And the late 1st rounder is a late 1st rounder, decent but nothing special. For this to make sense for Winnipeg, it seems to me they need to flip one of these other assets (or a similar prospect) for another win-now player.

Stafford and Myers for Bogosian isn't going to change the Jets' fortunes significantly. By dealing Kane now, they artificially restricted their own market to win now and I don't think this accomplishes that.

• Upvote 1