Oct. 21, Red Wings vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I am happy to see J Price and Brobin's comments....I was going to post that I seemed to be watching a different game than everyone else; I'm glad to see that at least some others saw the same things I did.

Overall it was a really good game by the Habs. As Price said they are " relentless" at the end of the game and always expect to win. Of course, we all wish that they could put the petal to the metal for every period of every game, but over the long grind of the season that is an unrealistic expectation.

I think the one thing that was getting people upset was the repeating ringing around of the puck by the d that went directly to an open Wings player and led to a scoring chance. Not sure if this problem is on the d or the forwards but there certainly was a communication prob in d- zone coverage last night

In any case, once again, savor the victory...someone said it was a "bad" win---not so, such a beast does not exist in the NHL

• Upvote 1

I have to laugh when I look at some comments on here. The team is 6-1 and looking better every game, I mean really, what more can we ask at this point? I think overall the team is moving in the right direction, the end goal being a cup contender. I think MB has to be pleased with the teams progress.

Yep, also glad to see the comments by Brobin, J Price, and HankHab, something positive.

I'm ecstatic over being in first place overall, the exciting wins are a sign that they believe in themselves, and that they are indeed a good team.

Overall everything seems to be coming together after really quite a line up shake up in the off season. Yes we have the usual Eller and Bourque crying towel out, but I haven't seen them as really playing awful, more like no puck luck.

It's early season and a long way to go, but it sure is great to be clicking when it matters, and it matters that we have 6 wins and 1 defeat, that's the bottom line....

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Montreal deserved to have this one won in the first period. They utterly dominated Detroit, manhandled them and had their way with them. Jimmy Howard was bloody spectacular, and was the only reason this was close. This was the first game that Montreal completely and without exception outplayed their opponent, showing up for a solid 61 minutes.

Not really sure what game you were watching. Montreal definitely didn't manhandle them. Basically whole game was even. Detroit went into defensive mode in mid way through second and sat back too much in third. It was not a fun game to watch until Galchenyuk buried. Only game this year we haven't aloud a goal in first period.

I watch hockey because of what happened near the end and in overtime, you didn't enjoy that you're numb.

Both teams were sloppy and good, it's early season, and I'm just glad we are winning, and get a charge out of the negativity when we are winning, and I certainly can wait to see how the sh!t hits the fan when we are losing....

:pray:

I am happy to see J Price and Brobin's comments....I was going to post that I seemed to be watching a different game than everyone else; I'm glad to see that at least some others saw the same things I did.

Overall it was a really good game by the Habs. As Price said they are " relentless" at the end of the game and always expect to win. Of course, we all wish that they could put the petal to the metal for every period of every game, but over the long grind of the season that is an unrealistic expectation.

I think the one thing that was getting people upset was the repeating ringing around of the puck by the d that went directly to an open Wings player and led to a scoring chance. Not sure if this problem is on the d or the forwards but there certainly was a communication prob in d- zone coverage last night

In any case, once again, savor the victory...someone said it was a "bad" win---not so, such a beast does not exist in the NHL

Wings played well. Fast team that uses the center of the ice better than most teams do. However i thought the habs had their best first period of the season. They went toe to toe and created good chances. Second period was mostly wings. Third period the habs were pressing and playing desperate. Fast game.

Habs played like they are a deep team. Have not seen that in years.

I don't know why everyone thinks that game was so terrible. Was it perfect? No, but we outshot them, had lots of scoring chances, killed them on Face offs, and won the game. We were not terribly outplayed at all. There were times each team had the momentum. Detroit is a solid defensive team that plays a defensive, possession game. Could they have won? Sure, but we could have potted several as well. Both goalies were solid, both teams had defensive lapses.

The Habs have played far worse games this year. This one was a slow start again, but they held Detroit to one goal and dominated the third and overtime.

Agreed. Habs have played far worse games (caps, flyers, lightening, aves) Wings are a good team that played a heck of a road game last night. Good win.

Guest Stogey24

That game made me question why I watch hockey. It felt like watching a Transformers movie with no explosions. Like we were back in the clutch and grab dead puck era.

My problem wasn't Montreal as much as it was a boring, stupid game.

Having a bad day?

Well, I listened on the radio and even the announcers seemed bored for most of the night.

What I take from this is the following. This is the sort of game that good teams win. The other guys played what sounded like a textbook road game. We've won against freewheelers (Avs) and tightwad defenders (Wings); and good teams find a way to win regardless of the style of the opposition. That's the heartening thing.

But yes, we do need to start grabbing leads. I guarantee you that the first game when we DO jump to an early lead will be a game we lose. Book it. That's just how the hockey universe operates.

Speaking of which, while the early signs are very exciting, we should all avoid being too happy about the Habs until they go through consecutive losses. If we go 6-1 and then 1-4, all of this optimism will be wiped away. But if we go 6-1, then lose a couple, then go on another extended streak of success - at THAT point you've got the likelihood of a highly successful season on your hands. We won't truly know what we've got here until the team hits a spot of adversity.

Habs 'quietly' had 36 shots.

Howard & Price were equally super

I was very entertained, especially when Datsyuk's goal was called back, I thought that actually gave the Habs a boost.

Holy moly CC & MOLG, entitled to your own opinions and sorry team isn't winning in a manner you approve of.

Seems to remind me of EOTP comments from last Jan, 'they cant keep winning because stats say so", "just watch, they will fold sooner or later", "maybe should tank to get MB/MT fired".

Sky may fall anytime now, Subban and Price could both get injured or lose 5 straight; but really just how can you put a negative spin on this start to Habs season?? (unless you are member of Toronto media)

Habs 'quietly' had 36 shots.

Howard & Price were equally super

I was very entertained, especially when Datsyuk's goal was called back, I thought that actually gave the Habs a boost.

Holy moly CC & MOLG, entitled to your own opinions and sorry team isn't winning in a manner you approve of.

Seems to remind me of EOTP comments from last Jan, 'they cant keep winning because stats say so", "just watch, they will fold sooner or later", "maybe should tank to get MB/MT fired".

Sky may fall anytime now, Subban and Price could both get injured or lose 5 straight; but really just how can you put a negative spin on this start to Habs season?? (unless you are member of Toronto media)

My goodness, DON! I wasn't trying to express negativity at all. I praised the team for winning a tough game against a tough opponent, and suggested the win was especially impressive because the style of play was exactly the opposite of the Colorado game, and we still won. I'm loving this bunch so far. All I was saying was that, in terms of drawing wider conclusions about this team really being as good as it currently seems to be, we need to see how they deal with adversity. In short, it's early days - that's all!

Well, I listened on the radio and even the announcers seemed bored for most of the night.

What I take from this is the following. This is the sort of game that good teams win. The other guys played what sounded like a textbook road game. We've won against freewheelers (Avs) and tightwad defenders (Wings); and good teams find a way to win regardless of the style of the opposition. That's the heartening thing.

But yes, we do need to start grabbing leads. I guarantee you that the first game when we DO jump to an early lead will be a game we lose. Book it. That's just how the hockey universe operates.

Speaking of which, while the early signs are very exciting, we should all avoid being too happy about the Habs until they go through consecutive losses. If we go 6-1 and then 1-4, all of this optimism will be wiped away. But if we go 6-1, then lose a couple, then go on another extended streak of success - at THAT point you've got the likelihood of a highly successful season on your hands. We won't truly know what we've got here until the team hits a spot of adversity.

The game was a bit boring indeed. The end was very entertaining though.

sure CC, just worrying about the shoe dropping when team is on a winning streak to start season, just seems too Canadian.

But, of course not even played 10 games yet and team could possibly go 2-8 in next ten, but why worry about that now. Rejoice! :clap:

I was surprised to come on here and see the negativity. There were defintitely a few cycles by Detroit where they made the team look bad, but I thought this was a back and forth game with some good rushes. The pass timing is back. The quick neutral zone speed and transition. Carey Price is a good goalie.

give credit where it's due fellas, Detroit plays well defensively! last night was just two good hockey teams battling it out throughout, and the better team took over in the end. both goalies were redhot. we can't be playing 6-5 games every game now ppl.

Also, if Subban tries to butt check another player, I will drive to Montreal and slap him in the face. The whole league knows you are going to do it. Take the guy out of the play and stop taking yourself out of the play dumb dumb.

On a positive note...did anyone see Malholtra jumping up n down on the bench when DD scored the winner? now there's the ultimate team player! nice to see him having fun with his new team. great pickup MB

I noticed that too. Especially a veteran getting that excited just shows what it's like to play for a team like the Canadiens

The game was a bit boring indeed. The end was very entertaining though.

Can agree 100%. I was at the game. Was suprised to see how boring was the game.

So damn many offsides by the Habs. Don't recall seing that many in a game.

But in the end, the 3rd period was awesome and the quick goal in OT made everyone go back home with a smile on their face.

beaulieau and bournival sent down to the dogs...

tinordi has looked really good so far... what has impressed me most is his poise in our zone when under pressure. he isn't hurrying the play and is playing under control and in his element. this is remarkable considering people thought he wouldn't even make the team out of camp. how can MT even consider taking this massive body out of the line up?

• Upvote 1

What I have noticed about Tinordi is that sometimes he looks a bit slow along the board or making a play, but I don't see that as a weakness. IMO he is just very deliberate and tries really hard to make the best play. Once he gets used to the NHL speed, his decision making will be a lot better. It's just a question of time. He already has a very good skating stride and moves well for a big frame. After a while he will look a lot smoother out there.

I will make a prediction: before the end of the season, he will be Subban's partner. What a duo it will be!

• Upvote 1