Gonchar in, Moen out!

revvvrob

have you watched gonchar play in dallas all of the last 3 games he has played this season? or any games in pitts or ottawa cause i know you didn't watch him last season in Dallas? your comments are that of a child who is not yet allowed to stay up and watch hockey games so therefore isn't aware of facts

gonchar amassed 91 poiints in 186 games in OTT at age 36-38 and 259 in 322 games in pitts from age 31-35yrs.. if only....

and dallas could not wait to get rid of him, he was traded for travis moen who was on the fifth line in montreal, providing dallas pay some of his salary. hmm sounds like i am not the only one who thinks he is worth just more than a bag of pucks.

Did i see him play, do remember him stinking the joint out against the habs in 7 game series in 2010. actually was the goat on two goals in game 7. one ironically scored by travis moen. Pens dumped him right after that series. Also watched him live against the Leafs when he played for Ottawa, thought he had one skate in retirement then. Did he get better since turning forty.....i doubt it.

and like yourself i pushed a few buttons and looked up his stats.

does that answer your question.

since your asking me can you tell me of the time you saw him play..............or are you are lap top stats fan only?

Guest Stogey24

90% of the reason Gonchar was brought in is because Moen's contract needed to be off the books. I'm sure Bergevin was pushing for Bourque in the trade, Nill isn't that dumb though.

Please don't bring up Kaberle's name. Gives me cold sweats every time I think of him.

90% of the reason Gonchar was brought in is because Moen's contract needed to be off the books. I'm sure Bergevin was pushing for Bourque in the trade, Nill isn't that dumb though.

Please don't bring up Kaberle's name. Gives me cold sweats every time I think of him.

ok stogey. no worries. wont bring his name up again.

Hockey Inside Out - episode 6. Chris Nilan: "gonchar deal good to get moen contract off the books, however it will hurt the development of beauilue and tinordi. Wont help the pp because already have markov and subban and the problem with the pp is not on the back end its up front."

agree with knuckles 100 per cent

• Upvote 1

It all hinges on how Gonchar is used, and how he plays, doesn't it? If he slots in ahead out Beaulieu while playing poorly, then geez, I will be the first to join the anti-Therrien crowd in booing and hissing.

If he slots in ahead of Beaulieu while adding more offence than Beaulieu (not hard to do, if you look at Nate the Great's nonexistent stats), then in pure hockey terms it turns out to be a sensible short-term move.

If he slots in behind Beaulieu, or as a sort of rotating option with Beaulieu, then it's a depth move, which can't really hurt us and could conceivably have a lot of value in terms of leadership, experience, etc..

There is also the troubling underlying possibility that Beaulieu is simply not that great - certainly he has a lot of red-flag "character" questions - and the team is protecting itself from any need to rely on him. That is not necessarily a mistake. Only people who have seen him up close would know that.

Last thought here: we probably should remember two things. One, Gonchar was working his way back from injury in Dallas, so his wretched performance there may not be representative. Second, he is one of the great offensive defencemen of his generation. He may well be washed-up, but at least some degree of bedrock respect for him would seem to be in order.

Therrien said they would see how his game is, before they decide on how he is going to be used. He and Gonchar had a good talk, and he thinks he will help the team...

Cliché pro...

You may be right but considering the timing of the trade, I'm not so sure it's true that getting rid of the contract was 90% of the reason for the trade. It's a trade for a very specific person who happens to specialize in an area that we've been extremely weak at this season. Bergevin also still had a lot of season left to get rid of Moen's contract and most likely could have done it at the deadline although some people seem to think there was also a "logjam" at forward which may have helped contribute to the timing of the move as well. The point I'm trying to make is that I think, needless to say, Bergevin thinks this is a good trade in the now. There's not that "if worst comes to worst, at least this trade won't hurt us" mentality. He believes it will help. He's trying to address a need and is hoping it will pay dividends. Our GM is only human and you can never know what the future will bring with certainty when it comes to a player but I actually tend to agree with him on this deal. Regardless of Gonchar's age and recent stats, he's only one piece of the puzzle. I think the piece fits and definitely will help. He won't necessarily solve anything on his own but he will definitely contribute in a positive way. Contrary to most, the more I think about the trade, the more I like it. Those who have been arguing the negatives and positives have mostly been mentioning how it either helps us or hurts us short term or long term. I think that Bergevin instead saw it helping us both short term and long term. As mentioned, he believed it solved a need for the power play right now and he also saw it as a chance to free up space for next year. I just don't think he saw saving space for next year as being 90%, or anywhere close to that, as being the main reason for this trade. Let's watch and see.

You may be right but considering the timing of the trade, I'm not so sure it's true that getting rid of the contract was 90% of the reason for the trade. It's a trade for a very specific person who happens to specialize in an area that we've been extremely weak at this season. Bergevin also still had a lot of season left to get rid of Moen's contract and most likely could have done it at the deadline although some people seem to think there was also a "logjam" at forward which may have helped contribute to the timing of the move as well. The point I'm trying to make is that I think, needless to say, Bergevin thinks this is a good trade in the now. There's not that "if worst comes to worst, at least this trade won't hurt us" mentality. He believes it will help. He's trying to address a need and is hoping it will pay dividends. Our GM is only human and you can never know what the future will bring with certainty when it comes to a player but I actually tend to agree with him on this deal. Regardless of Gonchar's age and recent stats, he's only one piece of the puzzle. I think the piece fits and definitely will help. He won't necessarily solve anything on his own but he will definitely contribute in a positive way. Contrary to most, the more I think about the trade, the more I like it. Those who have been arguing the negatives and positives have mostly been mentioning how it either helps us or hurts us short term or long term. I think that Bergevin instead saw it helping us both short term and long term. As mentioned, he believed it solved a need for the power play right now and he also saw it as a chance to free up space for next year. I just don't think he saw saving space for next year as being 90%, or anywhere close to that, as being the main reason for this trade. Let's watch and see.

thats all well and good (and some wishful thinking) but only if you put zero value in letting your two kids play more...not less. Its not gonchar himself (although i am no fan of the elder, slow soft dman, on an already soft team) but its if he moves ahead and becomes a mainstay in the six starters and the kids sit or play in hamilton. thats the only knock i have heard on the deal. and i happen to agree with it.

heard one poster say he is excited about getting gonchar....ok........some of us were excited about the new young d getting more action. depends on what you like i guess.

but thats why MB gets the big bucks.

but we'll see...... gilbert, weaver, gonchar, the new d thats been added from that 28th place team.

Kept hearing that when Murray or Bouillon were dressed and guess what, Hab still won more often than not.

Have faith! :gohabsgo:

did not know that was the goal ..... win more games than ya lose.............thought it was "to build through the draft and develop your own players" MB.s words not mine

that the main goal is to build a team that is capable of winning four rounds against some heavy weight teams.

If you don't win more than you lose, how can you win four rounds?

We traded a fourth liner for an aging veteran and folks are acting like we just gave up Galchenyuk for Shane Doan.

This is an insignificant deal in hopes of boosting our powerplay. If it doesn't work, Gonchar won't play much longer.

Such bipolarity. One moment it's how awesome for Bergevin to dust Bourque so Therrien can play youngsters and the next it's our youngsters are dead because Gonchar might play a few games.

This is not a big deal.

Really don't know what to make of Gonchar. I prefer to believe it is more about kick starting the power play. I don't believe it has anything to do with our young D.

so who do you sit so he can dress to "help the powerplay"

and who does he partner with 5 on 5 and put up good defensive (as well as his bobby orr like) offensive game?

Markov, Gilbert, Emelin, Subban will all eat up most of the minutes anyway, so why not see what Sergei brings?

Nothing set in stone so far, and to have Beaulieu, Weaver, Tinordi and Gonchar as depth for 5th and 6th spots, how is this possibly all that bad?

Get it that the kids aren't playing, but alas, we that want to see them in the lineup aren't calling the shots, and obviously Bergevin wants them to show us more.

End of story....

Injuries, and a long season, we may be glad to have such depth, and as far as special teams go, maybe Brian has something there with the dressing 7 D ?

thats all well and good (and some wishful thinking) but only if you put zero value in letting your two kids play more...not less. Its not gonchar himself (although i am no fan of the elder, slow soft dman, on an already soft team) but its if he moves ahead and becomes a mainstay in the six starters and the kids sit or play in hamilton. thats the only knock i have heard on the deal. and i happen to agree with it.

heard one poster say he is excited about getting gonchar....ok........some of us were excited about the new young d getting more action. depends on what you like i guess.

but thats why MB gets the big bucks.

but we'll see...... gilbert, weaver, gonchar, the new d thats been added from that 28th place team.

Look, it's impossible to please everybody. I knew that the young d topic would get brought up in response to my post because it's pretty much the only thing I left out. I left it out on purpose because I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. That response is like looking at the moon through a microscope and trying to count how many craters there are. Sure, the acquisition of Gonchar "hurts" in this one area in that the kids get less ice time with the big team. But the only defense I've heard of wanting to play the kids more is that they should be allowed to play through their struggles and gain experience for the future. Not that they've been playing so great that they need to stay in. None of that helps our team right now. In addition, while this may indeed be a negative aspect to some, the trade also has positives. I'll admit that Beaulieu hasn't been given all the chances in the world but he also hasn't demonstrated any offensive upside in the chances he has been given. I also don't think them not playing a few games with the big club hurts their long term future. Regardless of whether or not Gonchar plays well, they will still get their shot this season for a variety of reasons.

Assuming I'm translating that statement right, no, he really didn't.

David Desharnais had one assist in his first 6 games, true. And he didn't stay with the team that year.

The next year he had 8 goals and 14 assists for 22 points in his rookie year...respectable. Though it wasn't enough for a full time spot - he only played half the season (43 games).

The year after that he put up 60 points and never looked back. From his sophmore year until now, 3 seasons later, he's averaging 0.67 points per game since his rookie year.

NB is ready . plays forward when asked. fights ( a rare thing by anyone in a habs jersey) plays d. assist last night . he has jam and passion.

stats for a rookie dont mean as much as you are saying they do.

if stats were whats its all about DD and his season pace of 5 goals while playing prime ice time would be getting raked over the coals. but apparently he contributes iin other ways.NB will be a a bigger part of this team. He is here to stay because he deserves to be.

i

DD's on pace for his usual totals. (Actually, when comparing his first 19 games last year to his first 17 this year, and then his eventual total last year, he's on pace for his best point total yet.)

I liked putting Beaulieu on wing. That's a good way to get him ice time without costing us points in the standings. Besides, he's gotta be better than Dourque was.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

DD's on pace for his usual totals. (Actually, when comparing his first 19 games last year to his first 17 this year, and then his eventual total last year, he's on pace for his best point total yet.)

I liked putting Beaulieu on wing. That's a good way to get him ice time without costing us points in the standings. Besides, he's gotta be better than Dourque was.

Beaulieu has been in the line up for Montreal's entire 4 game streak. How is he costing them points?

Beaulieu has been in the line up for Montreal's entire 4 game streak. How is he costing them points?

Because playing D in his own end he has still been looking like a terrifying nightmare, and until yesterday, he had not contributed ANYTHING to the offense. I want that to change, obviously. Hopefully yesterday's game is a sign of things to come.