Gonchar in, Moen out!

revvvrob

Seems pretty clear that the organization is not sold on Beaulieu.

That said, all Great Nate has to do is outplay Gonchar; and Gonchar is on the books for this year only. MB was looking around for PP help and defensive depth. At the end of the day this trade is not a big deal.

Weird trade.

Pros

- Could fix our PP

- UFA in the summer

- Offensive depth for back-end

- Weise made Moen redundant

- We can now employ a left defence that's completely Russian

Cons

- Clogs our cap at deadline

- People complain about Markov looking old and slow?

- Dallas hated him

- Could find himself often on the IR

- Could mean Beaulieu sitting

I'll miss Moen. Thought he always gave us 100%. Think he was a big influence in the locker room. At least we still got a guy with a ring in the locker room.

• Upvote 1

OK does MB have shares in a rocking chair company?

There has to be more to this trade. The progression is they send Bork to ork. to pick up 900k+. so they can trade for gonchar, there has to be a plan afoot. We have 8 defencemen and we need a sniper something more is coming.

I don't believe it! I know it's a short term fix,and there's a small possibility that Gonchar might improve the pp..but wow, really?! the guy's 40 fn years old, soft as fk, and what's this tell the young guys?!! i'm against this deal 100%

If its to unload Moen's contract, couldnt we have landed a late pick or something?

Another trade coming involving Beaulieu? But we just took on loads of cap so what else in that potential trade?

A well, not the end of the world. Its not like we picked up a 5 year 7.3M caphit like we did 2009.

If its to unload Moen's contract, couldnt we have landed a late pick or something?

Another trade coming involving Beaulieu? But we just took on loads of cap so what else in that potential trade?

A well, not the end of the world. Its not like we picked up a 5 year 7.3M caphit like we did 2009.

Well we have remember that defence are gold in the nhl right now so is this a situation where Gonchar is here for the 7th defence while some one is leaving for more offence?

Dreger said he doesn't believe Montreal is done.

Yesterday, Friedman was saying he heard that Bergevin wanted to force Therrien's hand a bit on who he plays. It isn't so much tension between the two sides since Bergevin is happy with Therrien, but he didn't want certain players like Bournival and Sekac sitting. It's also possible that Therrien played Bourque to showcase him.

I'll say this for Zoot Suit - the guy isn't afraid to make moves. Here he's got a team that started out like gangbusters, then lost 3 or 4 before showing definite signs of de-slumping. And what does he do? Firebomb the Swedish Chef (Bork, Bork, Bork), dump Moen, acquire a washed-up Gonchar. I continue to love the ruthlessness, even if my enthusiasm over Gonchar is sub-polar.

I can't see MT going with that combo. I think Beaulieu is the odd man out.

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Gonchar

That could/should fix the PP.

You actually like the Briere and Parros signing and the Moen extension?

This is the first move that Bergevin has made that I don't like.

Gonchar is beyond washed up. I honestly rather have Moen playing on the 4th line and killing penalties then Gonchar anywhere on the ice. I understand it frees up the 2nd year of Moen's contract but I'm just not happy with this trade.

You have to ask?? gonchar!!!

This is the last time these two names were linked.

Gonchar was a turnstile that series-and that was almost five years ago.

Even though this is early, I look at this like a rental. Not crazy about the deal, but come March this team would still need a defenseman for the second powerplay.

Who will fans rag on now that Bourque and Moen are out?

Yeah, I agree. I'm regretfully forced to conclude that MB (and Therrien) are unconvinced about Beaulieu. Tinordi, I'll withhold judgement on, because at least the Habs did not go out to get an elderly player of his exact profile for The Genius to dress.

It could be they just want Great Nate to get more seasoning. But we're beginning to reach the point where it's legitimate to ask, first, whether they really don't think he's top-4 material, and second, whether maybe they are right that he's not. It's a disturbing thought because it means that there is no Markov replacement in the organization.

I can't see MT going with that combo. I think Beaulieu is the odd man out.

Emelin's days are numbered

Yow, now there is a curve-ball!

One thing Gonchar is not and never was: an Emelin. If this move is meant to eventually replace him on our blueline, it truly is a blunder of historic proportions.

• Upvote 1

NHL teams typically use 10 different d-men in a year, so we have 8 and likely Pateryn or Dietz will also get a game or two, unless Habs stay relatively healthy on back end again this year.

I think the depth of bottom six forwards made Moan quite expendable and extra year of salary was likely also a big factor. With the PP absolutely sucking for long time, Bergevin had to try and add 'something'.

I think dlbalr made a good argument a while ago as to, "Why' Bergein may have been shopping for a d-man.

I like the experience he brings and I assume he is still good puck mover and Holy Moly........3 Russian d-men, interesting.

Beaulieu and Tinordi have both played OK and will get their games in.

I guess I would say is a smart deal and quite like it and Bournival is likely smiling today also with spot opening up for him, so add a 42 yr old, trade a 32yr old and make room for a 22yr old.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Yow, now there is a curve-bal

One thing Gonchar is not and never was: an Emelin. If this move is meant to eventually replace him on our blueline, it truly is a blunder of historic proportions.

Emelin has value in a trade and Tinordi can do what Emelin does. Everyone thinks this trade is about M.B not having faith in the kids, I think its the exact opposite. I'm feeling like a core player (Emelin) is getting moved and Tinordi will fill his spot. Gonchar will be a veteran depth signing that never suits up. Just an Insurance policy