Gonchar in, Moen out!

revvvrob

Hahahah I've legitimately wondered if that would work before. I mean, Gonchar Markov are literally Russian legends on the pp.

Well .. I'm feeling a little better about this..

I don't mind picking up Gonchar and letting Tinordi and Beaulieu stew for another year, they aren't ready. Plus with injuries they will get playing time, just not dependant on them being good now.

If you look at it like that they never will be ready, they cannot learn in the ahl how to play in the NHL. They have to play to learn not just from the coaches but from the other players as well.

I'm surprised at all the negativity. We save capspace for this summer when we'll need it, and that Moen contract wasn't going to find many takers. Gonchar could be a good veteran stabilizer for our D - he's among the top offensive D of his era.

Maybe PK will be speaking Russian by the time the season's out.

I'm surprised at all the negativity. We save capspace for this summer when we'll need it, and that Moen contract wasn't going to find many takers. Gonchar could be a good veteran stabilizer for our D - he's among the top offensive D of his era.

Maybe PK will be speaking Russian by the time the season's out.

"veteren stablizer for out d" i see, the 35 year old markov and the 38 year old weaver dont do that. hey once we have the 40 year old gonchar maybe we can bring back the 51 year old chelios for even more "stablizing" ..... and maybe rick green........subbans too young anyways, could learn some in hamilton. got have a sense of humour with this team

Some people acts like we just dealt Galchenyuk for Clarkson.

We dealt Moen, 1.8M cap space next season that we will need all of to resign the Gallys.

We got a one year 4.6M caphit for this year only that might help our PP. If not then whatever. The contracts gone by summer anyway.

• Upvote 2

We dealt Moen, 1.8M cap space next season that we will need all of to resign the Gallys.

We got a one year 4.6M caphit for this year only that might help our PP. If not then whatever. The contracts gone by summer anyway.

Nice to see some sanity coming from the other side of the Atlantic..

"veteren stablizer for out d" i see, the 35 year old markov and the 38 year old weaver dont do that. hey once we have the 40 year old gonchar maybe we can bring back the 51 year old chelios for even more "stablizing" ..... and maybe rick green........subbans too young anyways, could learn some in hamilton. got have a sense of humour with this team

hahahahahaha

Weaver-Markov

Gonchar-Chelios

Green-Ludwig

Engblom

There is a ring endorsement of the new old man that is going to be playing ahead of the developing kids............"he is gone by summer"

not in dallas.........apparently summer was not coming soon enough for the Stars

'

hahahahahaha

Weaver-Markov

Gonchar-Chelios

Green-Ludwig

Engblom

lol Nattress as the 8th?

At first I was skeptical about this like everyone else. But I'm easily influenced...TSN.ca -- every analyst on it -- seems to think this is a good deal for Montreal, both in terms of this year's performance and next year's cap. Apparently Gonchar is an incredibly positive influence in the dressing room and on younger players. He still has the ability to generate offense with a good breakout pass and some surprising wheels for his age, not to mention the playoff experience and the previous history with Therien. With both Markov and Subban slumping, he adds another offensive defenseman to take the pressure off them. Furthermore, at the end of the day, Montreal will still have the cap-space at the deadline to get an impact player, if available, for another cup run. Then next year, they've got another 2 million to help sign the Gallys.

Beaulieu has not convinced me he's ready at the NHL level. You don't get a defenseman ready by using him in the NHL...they make themselves ready first in a development league and when you start to use them, they're already an asset. Beaulieu has not yet been an asset on the ice. He's nothing but a liability with no offensive upside to compensate. YET. I still believe he can become the player his fans think he already is, but he won't do it by putting him in the NHL before he's ready. That's not how you develop a player. That tends to hurt them more than help them.

Tinordi is already doing his job and should stay with the team.

• Upvote 1

We have such faith in the kids! I love that we're allowing them to grow into their positions, giving them opportunities to learn and experience.

Wait.....

All kidding aside. Heard MBs press conference. I think MB is a smart gm. One thing he said on bringing in gonchar I found puzzling. He said "the kids on d are part of the future, but they have to be better and they know that" Are they not getting better with each game? The habs cant live with mistakes from young d? but we can live with the mistakes you know (the slow footed cut from dallas gonchar) will make? I have watched both these kids in Hamilton, this season as well as last. They play the same here as they do there. The odd mistake.....none like the ones Subban made last night, or the major give aways that Markov has been making. Down in hamilton neither Tinordi or Beuilue have been very good on the PP. Just like the vets on the big club. Beauilue and Gilbert were the best pair on the ice last night. On for both habs goals. (not counting empty netter) Now i know we only gave up Moen for Gonchar.....but the reason MB was able to get Gonchar for the low price of Travis Moen is because Goncher is no longer a starter either. Seems to me that time with Tinordi and Beailue on the ice is a better investment than playing Gonchar.

It always comes back to "mistakes the young guys are making" . Live with them, and let them be better for it. But I guess you could have them come up next year, where they can begin whet they should be beginning now. When they are needed in the play offs as the grandfathers run out of gas me thinks you will have wished they played more regular season games.

It always comes back to "mistakes the young guys are making" . Live with them, and let them be better for it. But I guess you could have them come up next year, where they can begin whet they should be beginning now. When they are needed in the play offs as the grandfathers run out of gas me thinks you will have wished they played more regular season games.

It's not about "mistakes they are making." Mistakes are expected. It's what they're contributing when they're not making mistakes. For Tinordi, that's smart defensive play, hard hits, some grit, muscle and sheer size. For Beaulieu, it generally appears to be skating around aimlessly with his head in the rafters. He contributes nothing, yet.

You can't develop talent to NHL readiness by putting them in the NHL. You develop talent to NHL readiness in a development league until they're NHL ready, then you continue to develop them from NHL readiness to impact player at the NHL level. There's this misconception around here that you develop kids by throwing them into the toughest league in the world unprepared. That simply doesn't work. All you teach them is how to be useless. Beaulieu was barely adequate in Hamilton last year...he's a fringe AHLer at the moment. That doesn't translate into someone you want in your lineup at the NHL level. Let him dominate the AHL as a star offensive defenseman, then we'll know he can take the next step.

gonchar is one of the greatest offensive defenders of all time i would think know? there's no way anybody can honestly think even his presence alone as the 7th defence in practice wouldn't help immensely... i think he could be top 20 all-time in every offensive category..

id like to see beulieau back down and tinordi up permanently... beaulieau just seems to not know his position enough yet to merit full time minutes.

back to Gonchar... he prefers to play the right side of D more so then left...

There is a ring endorsement of the new old man that is going to be playing ahead of the developing kids............"he is gone by summer"

not in dallas.........apparently summer was not coming soon enough for the Stars

Dallas isn't worried about next year's cap. They were a fair amount over the cap (using LTIR) prior to this trade. If they wanted to do anything trade-wise this year, they first needed to clear space. As expiring contracts are a good currency to save space in the current season, Gonchar was a logical one to try to move. The summer is irrelevant to them since they needed space now (and took on one more year of Moen to free up some room).

one thing he could probably do for sure is teach PK how to get his shot to hit the net more often then not?

also, if we expect to go deep into the playoffs this year again gonchar is a huge asset even at 40yrs of age....

sorry, I'm a positive attraction guy.... and I'm sure there is many positives to this deal outside of contract only....

Dallas isn't worried about next year's cap. They were a fair amount over the cap (using LTIR) prior to this trade. If they wanted to do anything trade-wise this year, they first needed to clear space. As expiring contracts are a good currency to save space in the current season, Gonchar was a logical one to try to move. The summer is irrelevant to them since they needed space now (and took on one more year of Moen to free up some room).

dallas abysmal PK and our horrible PP this season also was a huge contributing factor to this deal as well outside of the dollars.

I thought Beaulieu/Gilbert was our strongest pairing last night.

Yes but..

Not asked to do all the heavy lifting that 76-79 must do every game. (16/18minutes vs 25/26)

But, both did very well.

Beaulieu got pushed around and Tinordi still better both offensively and defensively, to date.

gonchar is one of the greatest offensive defenders of all time i would think know? there's no way anybody can honestly think even his presence alone as the 7th defence in practice wouldn't help immensely... i think he could be top 20 all-time in every offensive category..

id like to see beulieau back down and tinordi up permanently... beaulieau just seems to not know his position enough yet to merit full time minutes.

back to Gonchar... he prefers to play the right side of D more so then left...

Agree on Beaulieu-Tinordi

Tinordi better than Beaulieu offensively?

Now I've heard it all.

Meh. I haven't seen any offense out of Tinordi.

But I haven't seen any out of Beaulieu, either.

Thing is, Offense is Beaulieu's seule raison d'être, so if he's not providing it, there's a problem. Tinordi's here for other reasons.

Tinordi better than Beaulieu offensively?

Now I've heard it all.

Sorry, based only on facts.

I keep waiting for Orr II to appear, but maybe Beaulieu is closer to a Colton than a Robert.

• Upvote 1

i just think beaulieau doesn't know where to be and when..... hence, needs to learn his position more

a simple example of this was last night when MT gave him and gilbert 1st PP wave. they established position and he instantly drifted deep into the zone and out of position. now the back door on the PP is meant to catch a defence sleeping. he creeped in and stayed in ultimately eliminating his point position and a simple puck clear he was un able to keep in the zone, forcing us to re- group.... thats what I'm saying.

i just think beaulieau doesn't know where to be and when..... hence, needs to learn his position more

a simple example of this was last night when MT gave him and gilbert 1st PP wave. they established position and he instantly drifted deep into the zone and out of position. now the back door on the PP is meant to catch a defence sleeping. he creeped in and stayed in ultimately eliminating his point position and a simple puck clear he was un able to keep in the zone, forcing us to re- group.... thats what I'm saying.

Kid can skate like the wind and can handle a puck, but he and Homer Simpson have bout same brainsmarts. :tumbleweed:

Sorry, based only on facts.

I keep waiting for Orr II to appear, but maybe Beaulieu is closer to a Colton than a Robert.

You're waiting for Bobby Orr Part II to appear out of a 17th overall in 2011 defenceman?

Are you dealing with a concussion right now?